Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

I can't for the life of me understand the negativity surrounding this tour.

You'd swear the provinces weren't going to be able to field a team the way some people are going on.

It is a huge positive for Irish rugby to have these young players in that environment and acclimating themselves to the Irish systems, patterns and coaching ticket. For the majority of the players involved, the prospect of going on this tour must be hugely exciting.

On Robert Baloucoune specifically, he wouldn't be going on this tour if not for the fact that he has missed huge chunks of rugby in recent years with a variety of injuries. That has cost him time in Irish camps, or opportunities to claim a shirt.

As good as he's looked for Ulster (and I think at his best he should be an Irish starter), it wouldn't surprise me if the coaching ticket feels he has something to prove to them, and have included him here to get a closer look at him for those purposes.

This is an absolute nonsensical take on this.

Of all the ways disdain has been shown (by all the participating Unions) for the URC (and its predecessors) over the years, this isn't even remotely near the top of the list.

For years, teams have routinely not picked anything resembling full strength squads for URC games for reasons purely driven by the player management policy, not injury.

The Welsh have full on quit on the competition multiple times.

The structure of the competition is flawed, and unfair on certain teams.

The quality of refereeing in the competition has been shambolic at times, with some absolutely daylight robbery decisions from home nation TMOs (like Ulster in SA).

The respective unions have ignored all of these very obvious issues and flaws with the competition. Yet somehow now, this tour (stated as part of our World Cup preparation) is "stupid", "disrespectful" and the worst thing the IRFU have ever done with regard to the competition.

The average age of players in this squad is 22, their average number of appearances for their provinces is 24 (highly skewed by a handful of guys like Blade, Deegan, Frawley who have considerable appearance numbers), so I just don't accept the belief that the provincial squads have been crippled by withdrawing a handful of players from all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The likes of frawley, baloucoune, blade, Prendergast, Deegan, Doak and Mccarthy could easily be called up into the World Cup squad come later group stages / quarter final time due to injuries. Exposing them to an environment led by the Irish coaches and most likely demanding that these players are the leadership group is actually very smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

If you take a long-term view I can see two positives for the a province:

• losing players means that others further down the pecking order are more likely to get exposure in the URC, which will increase the strength-in-depth in the long run. This could be useful towards the end of the season if there are injuries. So often it's because others are absent (usually through injury) that someone gets a shot. Would Kendellen have had such a big season last season and be as far along in his development as he is if Hodnett had been available?
    • Having more international players is a good way to have a competitive edge over the other provinces. Exposure to Test rugby can make players better, as in the case of Gibson-Park. Featuring in this touring squad has to increase a player's chance of picking up Test caps down the line. As a Leinster fan I'd like to have seen more Leinster players selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I'm going to organise a march on IRFU headquarters tomorrow anyway. We can decide when we get there if it's a protest or a show of support.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The point is still sailing over your head unfortunately, but I'm not going to drag this out any further.

Yeah, that's it of course. It's "sailing over the head" of whoever disagrees with your take on this. 🙄

It would be different things for different players. 

That's exactly what it is. There's no way that Caoilin Blade and Brian Deeny could be going on the same tour for the same reasons.

For the bulk of these guys, they wouldn't be playing in the URC next couple of weeks anyway, but maybe we get a jump on prep for the 2027 RWC. Who k nows, maybe we'll find a bolter for 2023.

For a small minority of players, it's a chance to impress the coaches up close and personal and maybe skip the queue for the November tests. I'd say not more than three.

I think it will be a very useful tour for Ireland. @awec is right though, it's two fingers to the URC.

I don't accept that it is two fingers to the URC really; particularly not if the IRFU have made some front line internationals available during this window who wouldn't ordinarily be available at this point in the season.

But even if it is, who cares? What do the IRFU owe to this competition at this juncture? Irish provinces have dominated it since its inception, winning it 13 out of the 21 years its existed. Regardless of what happens with this tour, the Irish sides will likely be at the business end of the competition once again this season.

The competitive integrity of the URC as a competition has more issues than this specific example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Shehal

Because as much was we care about the league we care about preparing as best as possible for the RWC even more... They can give out all they want, they just want to give out and if it wasnt for this tour they'd find something else to complain about so just let them moan and be miserable in their box for all I care...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

It’s a complete farce. Playing cheetahs etc won’t do anything to help get these guys to test level.

Dylan Tierney Martin is in Connacht’s 23 for tomorrow against Ulster, over the next month he would see game time against the two league finalists in South Africa, Leinster and Munster. Instead he’s on a rabble of a tour playing weak opposition.

The players will gain some insight into how Ireland operate etc but it doesn’t justify taking them away for three weeks. The absolute max is two guys make the World Cup squad, I would say it’s unlikely to be even that. This will have no tangible impact on how they perform given the length of time they will spend in camp pre World Cup.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Which two, Frawley and Baloucoune?

I’d say they are the leading candidates and maybe one of Doak/Blade, the former more likely I think. Maybe one of them, maybe none of them.

They won’t be playing alongside too many if any from this tour and they will have a a few months together before and during the World Cup, I don’t think this tour will make a tangible impact on how they perform at the World Cup if they do make squad.

Connacht have bothered to pick Dylan Tierney Martin only 6 times over the past couple of seasons, but now it's a tragedy that he'll miss sitting on the bench for a couple of games.

He’s had injuries and he’s a converted back row (since around 18 I think) who is still only 22. With Shane Delahunt out this would have been a real opportunity for him to put down a marker.

Three of the Connacht players touring are in the 23 v Ulster, I’m not sure why Cian Prendergast isn’t but he would certainly see game time assuming fitness over the next month. They don’t exactly have great depth to begin with.

Connacht are facing the two strongest South African teams and Munster and Leinster. They’re an injury to Dave Heffernan or Kieran Marmion away from relying on Grant Stewart and Colm Reilly at hooker/9 and academy backups.

This tour is a disaster for Connacht. All for a rabble of a tour against weak opposition.

He's 23, and converted to hooker over 4 years ago. He was on the same U20s side as Craig Casey, Ryan Baird, John Hodnett, Scott Penny, Ben Healy and Stewart Moore, all of whom have managed to rack up a lot more minutes despite arguably facing stiffer competition.

Jonny Murphy was keeping him out of a match day 23 regularly last season.

As numerous others have said; this tour means different things for different players. For the likes of Tierney Martin, Deeny, Illo, Milne etc it's about showing something to the coaching staff and getting used to the set up, and the style of play, so as to hopefully position themselves for the squads post next year's WC.

For other guys like Frawley, Baloucoune and Blade, there absolutely is something to be shown here, and the opportunity to find themselves in test squads for the autumn. I think Blade is a better player than Craig Casey right now, and at 28 he could absolutely still play a part for Ireland. Don't you want to see him get that opportunity?

Plenty of Connacht fans have moaned over the years when they've felt their players aren't getting enough international recognition, but don't recognise now that this is a pathway to that. Connacht need to build out more depth in any event; so the notion of dipping into academy players shouldn't be so startling.

Plus Connacht are going to go into the four games you've mentioned as underdogs in any event, regardless of the presence of guys like Dylan Tierney Martin or Sam Illo.

This tour is a disaster for Connacht.

We're always hearing that Connacht players don't get a fair shake with Ireland. This is a chance for some of the guys to make an impression on Catt and Easterby that they wouldn't otherwise get. That's another way to look at it.

Prendergast was never going to be available v Ulster because he was in NZ.

He was out from December to March last season. He made five appearances when he returned. None of those players you mentioned converted to hooker from back row, last season was the earliest possible period he could have expected to make an impact given that switch. He’s probably a 100-1 shot to make the World Cup squad, he would be far better served playing against better opposition for his province over the next month.

Something to be shown where? Ciaran Frawley having a good game against Griquas is going to tell us a lot about his potential at test level?!

Yes Connacht would be underdogs regardless it doesn’t excuse taking away first choice players like Blade and Prendergast for some nonsense tour playing second tier South African teams.

A week long camp in Ireland would have presented the same opportunity without undermining provinces and the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Clearly the coaches don’t believe so. How exactly are you qualified to know that? Since none of us know the goals or the inner workings of these camps.

• Advertisement

It's not a tour where the results are going to matter. People seem to consistently miss this point.

Every single player selected in the squad has had limited to no time in an Irish camp for various reasons.

For some of these players (Baloucoune, Blade, Frawley, Deegan) - this tour is an opportunity to impress the Irish coaching team and get familiar with the systems. It is absolutely the case that impressive displays for those guys on this tour could see them in the full Irish squad in November, or very quickly able to be called in in case of injury.

For some of the younger guys, it's a first exposure to an Irish camp and the Irish coaches.

We know in the past the Irish coaches aren't overly concerned with the provincial pecking order if they think a guy is a fit for the style they want, with plenty of guys selected despite not starting for their province. But they do value time in the camp and familiarity with systems, which was why Ed Byrne was called out to NZ (despite arguably some more deserving alternatives), because he had that familiarity from previous time in camp).

I would strongly suspect here as well that Toyota are underwriting a chunk of the costs of this tour, and that is part of why it's happening. These guys will gain more from being together in a squad, learning the systems and being trialled against a different style of rugby to what they typically see and experience.

Take out same put in similar. None of us know either whether this is a financial gain for the IRFU I presume, unless I missed an article somewhere?

Financial gain? Where on earth would the financial gain come from. From an emerging Ireland team playing Currie Cup teams?

If the costs are covered for the IRFU, they would be doing well. This won’t attract large crowds or TV money that’s for sure.

It could well be. I wouldn't think its a gainer, but I think Toyota's commitment to SA rugby seems to indicate a certain willingness on their part to pay some of the costs for these sort of initiatives, so it might be the case that it isn't costing them a huge amount either.

Well it’s sponsored by Toyota, it’s the Toyota challenge or something. This all seemingly happened very quickly, i dont recall anything being announced at such short notice previously involving an Ireland tour, maybe someone had a brainwave in May or maybe Toyota made a call. None of us know, as you like to say yourself.

No you’re right, we don’t know the ins and outs of the finance around this. It just seems a very very strange conclusion to come up with. Given the stated aims and comments from those involved in organizing the tour.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

so we've gotten to the stage of "playing these games doesnt matter" from a player development point of view.

id argue anyone thinking that has no clue about high level professional team sports.

shure why do teams bother playing pre season friendlies

I don’t know what the stated aims and comments have to do with it, if it were related to financial reasons they won’t say that obviously.

This was announced late Julyish or early August I think? Very little notice and provinces seemingly hadn’t heard about it much earlier.

Maybe someone had a brainwave or maybe Toyota made an offer, the latter seems more likely to me personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

What became this tournament was initially floated as an A team competition for the provinces in South africa.

Toyota would pay travel and expenses for 4 provincial a teams to travel.

Then in June a couple of the Currie Cup teams involved got knocked out and Toyota cutting their sponsorship suddenly I saw rumblings of 2 combined a teams.

Leinster/Connacht and Munster/Ulster seemed to be the rumoured pairs.

Then suddenly it was emerging Ireland travelling.

Advertisement