Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

In my original post I said no excuse for not checking blind spots, but actively sitting in one is going to increase your chances of collision. Find that annoying if you like but the sense of entitlement is ironic really when you think about it.

But of course why look at that when drivers bad etc..

You share the road. Good technique involves negotiation. Getting all pissy at every example of bad road use seems pretty sad (and very much fruitless). Not taking responsibility or looking at situations to see what you could have done better.. even sadder imo 🤷🏻‍♀️

But each to their own. I only comment on these things as I treat these examples as communal learning opportunities. Not everyone sees it that way I guess..

It's a good attitude to have. Keeping a cool head and not driving/cycling into a situation you see happening in front of you and making it worse is another I try to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

I posted in the legislation thread about why you shouldn't expect a driver to yield to you while you're on a cycle track: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119624396/#Comment_119624396

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭seanino

The blind spot argument is absolutely nonsensical. Imagine using that as an excuse for crossing into another lane and crashing into other motorist, cyclist, etc.

Driver: "They were in my blind spot your honour"

Judge: "Case dismissed"

😂

Also that L driver would fail his driving test if they did that. Check mirror, signal and move when clear. He did the signal part - that was it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

First thing my father taught me was moving forward and backwards to account for blindspots. It is a minimum skill for driving. Does that mean I am going to trust others to do it, of course not. I'd most likely let a roar or slow to either alert the driver or avoid them. Then adapt based on what they do next. As for the video, the cyclist slowed enough that they could stop if necessary. Is anyone in the right or wrong. The driver is certainly in the wrong for poor observation, and therefore not driving without due care and attention. The cyclist you could argue one way or the other but I don't feel that they were in any real danger because they were ready for it. If they hadn't being paying attention then I'd have a different opinion.

A neighbour skimmed me on his motorbike this morning. I let a roar and he seemed genuoinely surprised at the shout. It was 7am and no traffic around. I have strong feelings towards heading upto his house this evening and explaing that his overpowered hairdryer still needs to be driven with due consideration.

Absolutely missing the point completely.

Try not to think about blame. Actually, try not to even go down the rabbit hole of what should happen and what the rules of the road are etc and try and look at what is likely to happen. Or more importantly, try and read a situation and look at what you can do for your own safety.

I don't cycle or drive in blind spots because I'm worried about the blame game, I don't do it because people are morons and fu*k up all the time.

I especially try not to double down on that stupidity by then riding or driving into situations that are going to further endanger me. That really is nonsensical to me. Honestly, why would you do that??

This is more turning rather than forwards or backwards, not sure what you mean there. Id use all mirrors and look around if possible also or keep looking in the mirrors if unsure as if you glance quickly and then move you can miss things - no blind spots then.

Agreed cyclist did slow down or was ready to, which is what I'd try and do myself - be ready for it. Drivers underestimate how fast cyclists can go. A road bike can go as fast if not faster then a car in a built up area like ranelagh.

Yeah I agree actually due to the speed it turned out safe enough. My blind spot argument is more a generalisation and calling it out for awareness/safety angle. I'm surprised at the amount of people that don't think that way tho.. i.e. observation is the sole responsibility of the driver (who of course could do better here).

• Advertisement

Yeah and I'd do the same. But so many people just give a side glance (if you are lucky!) In the mirror. The blind spot being the hidden spot between rear view and wing mirrors. I still wouldn't ride in it (or drive in it is a multi leave road) as you just can't trust people.

Sounds like you're missing the point completely yourself. See my last reply where I stated that the cyclist was in control - ready to slow as he anticipated the driver might left hook him. That said - blind spot is a nonsensical argument whether its a motorist or cyclist. Most of the discussion so far is about who's to blame - were you asleep.

Aye, I was sleeping lol just like the cyclist and the driver.. Yeah, unfortunately, the conversation is about blame, I'm choosing not to go down that road and focus on what can be done better in these situations - but if you want to keep it that simple and play the (pointless) blame game.. both f'd up in that clip and probably more so the cyclist *because* they seen it all play out and could have avoided it completely by better reading the road ahead (junctions ahead, 7 seconds of indicators) and generally adopting a better position on the road (avoiding blindspots, for example).

Your'e not assigning blame but then do with the cyclist 😁 Ok anyway we'll agree to disagree as you dont sound like backing down from your blind spot in cycle lane "theory"...

I generally try not to get into the blame game.. but since you (and others) insist upon it, I obliged and gave my reasons. It's not the gotcha you think it is?

I find the analysis interesting as this is how people learn (I mean myself here). If you think the only person in that clip that could have done better was the driver, fair enough and then of course we disagree. I (albeit with the hindsight of a video and the comfort of home) seen multiple clues in the lead up to the incident and think I would have handled it differently (L plates, indicators on for relatively decent time, junction ahead) and really don't think I would have been so close to the car, nor would I then cycle into an entirely avoidable event (and yes, the driver had the first opportunity to avoid the event and failed. The cyclist had another chance and also failed).

Smileys, quotes and digs aside, that's just how I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

You can talk about no blame all you like (for what it's worth I think the cyclist had enough awareness to avoid the collision) but the reality of it is the driver's complete inattention to the situation - being in an urban area crossing a cycling lane where there is a high possibility of cycle traffic - is the one that can get someone else injured or killed. If there had been a cyclist further along side the car and not in a position to see an indicator, they would have wiped them out.

Also only the driver of this car knows where their supposed blind spot is, we can only guess as we're not the ones sitting in it and not looking. The higher degree of responsibility is with the driver in this instance and if they can't handle that then they shouldn't be driving, too much acceptance on the road of this type of driving.

Fair enough, but really what can you do? Honest question. What behaviour can you actually change (and probably getting off topic)?

The only behaviour I know for sure I can influence is my own. That's often seen as a weakness (words like "acceptance" are a clue to this, sorry if that's not what you meant- or worse have been thrown about when such topics are discussed..) but tbh it's a strength.

My cycling and driving have improved and stress free rides in most traffic by just focusing on myself and accept that most people are really **** at driving or cycling in traffic and cycling/driving to compensate for that.

Edit: and to be absolutely clear, I have always been in agreement that the driver could have done better.

You can see how you like and leaving the patronising tone aside - your blind spot opinion is incorrect as has been pointed out by several people already. Do a quick google on blind spots driving tests etc. It's the drivers responsibility... Not difficult to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Some drivers even have perceived blindspots in small cars!!! So always beware of people and what they consider "blindspots".

Im sorry you read that as patronising, really. I'm just going for absolute clearest language.

I have never at any point said that the responsibility for checking and performing observations is anyone but the drivers responsibility (nor that the driver didn't f**k up here). I have only said that sitting in the sweet spot between mirrors, colloquially known as the blind spot, is going to increase risk. I would be worried for anyone that disagrees with that statement and chooses to ride or drive in that position.

• Advertisement

And yes, it's ridiculous in a small car, but some people just don't look, don't adjust mirrors between different drivers or are just clean forgetful/stupid/whatever!

Reminds me of that HSA ad where one of the actors came forward and said they were made move to make it appear they were in a blind spot that didn't exist.

Soooo, any near misses lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

The reason clip was originally posted was to be portrayed as a victim not for an honest discussion on

*the failures of either party

* the best way to deal with similar incidents

*the law as it pertains to overtaking on the left

There are loads of situations where a vulnerable road user will be entirely in the right in terms of right of way/the law but should be really careful about being missed by a non observant driver, poor bike path design etc etc.

Open a thread trying to get such things discussed and watch it die a death. Open one here/facebook/youtube about being a victim of poor driving/an asshole or whatever and watch the traffic and likes flow.

Social media has greatly amplified the social value we put in victimhood hence the above phenomena

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

One or two for me of lately due to my temporarilt changed commute. Phibsboro at 8 am is awful.

Blanchardstown at 5-6 pm not much better.

Having loads of people making illegal left turns into Beckett bridge too this week and quite a few who thing pedestrian/cycling lights are not for them to stop at

Post edited by Weepsie on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Absolutely! With big huge L plates on the car!...

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Even worse then that the fully licenced driver/instructor with them didn't check either...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭standardg60

You can see in the video that the driver is alone, the L plates are more than likely for someone else, hopefully not being trained by the driver.

• Advertisement

Driver got off on a technicality aka a mistake by the Gardai

Advertisement