Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

Extrapolating from Claire Daly & Mick Wallace's stance all these deaths should be on our conscience i.e. those that believe the WEST should have helped Ukraine to stand up to RuZZia as we advocated for prolonging the war. If it wasn't for the West's support Ukraine would have lost quickly and a benevolent Ruzzia would not have committed these atrocities. Riiiiiight

Anyone voting for these two are as bad as them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I don't want to derail the thread but this was basically his kind of logic. Someone could only be considered a covid death if they were otherwise completely healthy. The thing is a lot of those co-morbidities were things like hypertension and diabetes - things that people could have easily lived for decades more with had they not gotten covid and died.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

This is the kind of madness that Russia tries to sow in Western minds. That Ukraine are "very good at manipulating the news agenda", as if Russia hadn't crossed the border and invaded them! It's just too transparent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Lots more pro-Russian officials getting assassinated in occupied territory:

In the city of Luhansk, a bomb blast killed the prosecutor-general of the Russian-backed self-proclaimed Luhansk People's Republic (LPR), Sergei Gorenko, and his deputy, Ekaterina Steglenko, at their offices, Russian-appointed LPR administrator Leonid Pasechnik said on the Telegram messaging app.

In southern Ukraine, Russian-installed officials said two local officials had been killed overnight in a "double murder", which they also blamed on Ukraine.

Oleg Boyko, deputy head of the administration of the port town of Berdiansk, and his wife, Lyudmilla, who headed a commission preparing a referendum on the Zaporizhzhia province joining Russia, were killed in their garage overnight on Friday, the city administration said.

link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Nobody is saying the people buried in these grave weren’t murdered as deliberately shelling civilians is a war crime.

So far the the dead have largely been discovered in single/individual marked graves not some pit in the a wooded area. I don’t think the Russians, going by there history would have bothered burying people in individual graves let alone marking them with crosses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

You'd have to question why someone could blame Ukraine for taking NATO weapons, or criticise anyone for aiding Ukraine. Seriously, it's important that be questioned, don't give those two a fools' pardon.

The idea that propaganda isn’t a weapon in war used by all is slightly silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

A bit far fetched that the Russians hit it purely out of spite and it just so happened to benefit their defense of Kherson along the Inhulets. They also hit a 2nd dam yesterday further North at Iskrivka, which will make the flooding worse again in short term. The goal is obviously to trap Ukrainians on the left side of the Inhulets.

Videos of Ukrainian trenches nearby being totally swamped with rising waters too, soon to be trenchfoot season 🤢

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

So far there's lots to learn , if these were regular burials I suspect it'd have been at a regular grave-yard or crematorium ,( there could be reasons) ,

It may still have been local who did the burying and put up the crosses ..

Ukraine has tried to avoid indiscriminate shelling of their own cities and people.. again there could be reasons...

Russia doesn't have great past form in this.

And Ukraine is going to publicise what they can to help their position ,one side has better form in being more truthfull in this ,possobly because the truth so far is so horrible they dont need to exaggerate ..

Who knows what horrors lie yet to be discovered ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

Reuters have withdrawn the report that bodies were found in Izium with ropes around their necks. They will issue a revised report.

What a gift to the apologists for Putin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

A mass grave in on itself is not a war crime. There was plenty of mass graves dug during the pandemic etc.... It's how the people died dictates if it's a war crime.

If those in the graves died from Russian shelling, murdered etc.... That's a war crime.

And it doesn't have to be all/most etc... Each one could be a war crime.

Just because they may be individually buried with a cross does not omit the war crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

All I'm suggesting is to suspend judgement for the moment and wait till verification arrives. Reports of bodies with hands tied would indicate murders carried out after occupation - how many of these are there and percentage? Do we know much of the initial takeover of Izyum, did it just capitulate to Russian forces or was there preliminary shelling and a battle? This would explain casualties that needed to be buried and crosses erected etc.

It's easy to say Bucha#2 and easy for Ukraine to hint at that for the PR. If anyone thinks they wouldn't exploit such a find, they're naive.

But it may or may not be the case. Of course any citizens and soldiers killed are due to Russian invasion but there is a degree of difference between those killed in battle and those hunted down and killed afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Russian video posted on Telegram will warm your hearts. Russian police fighting with a Wagner soldier in a hotel. Wagnerite says “Do you know who I am?” before getting the **** kicked out of him 😆

https://t.co/Cqd3fyUZex

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not really.

Because someone didn't fact check their story,

They found and are currently investigating a mass grave containing 400+ people

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

I think its a certainty that this runs into next year but maybe not too long into next year. People have mentioned about winter slowing the Ukrainians as the lands surrounding the roads become a quagmire of mud. And whilst that may be true its also true for the russians. They have shown themselves incapable of any sort of logistical capabilities in almost perfect conditions and that going to fall off a cliff in the coming month. So we'll see a situation where we have cold, wet and hungry russians holed up in one position, unable to move around and unable to get supplies.

These positions will be easy to find for an army with the drone technology available to the Ukrainians. I would fully expect that they are also adapting drones to carry infra red and night vision cameras which is something the Russians won't have. So death from the skies either directly from the drones or targeted info sent to the various long range rocket systems being employed could come day or night. The psychological effect of this cannot be underestimated. It won't matter how many bodies the Russians will have packed behind the frontlines when they are mentally breaking day by day. And sending in these hundreds of prisoners, many of whom will already have psychological issues or borderline personalities could add interesting fuel to the fire. Armies all over the west put their forces through all types of psychological pressures such as hell weeks to see how they react before sending them to the front. The Russians are gathering people who certainly wouldn't pass those tests and sending them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,677 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Well they like to mix things up with people accidentally falling out windows or falling overboard on a yacht...

Have to agree, winter will be more difficult for all. But who is the most motivated to suffer a bit and continue to press - no doubt about that answer. Cut and target the supply lines to Russian forces and they could really suffer. This is likely the focus of current Ukrainian strategy, to get positions where they can constrict supplies in the next 2-3 months and make life as miserable as possible for Russian military.

All we have to do is to stick on an extra jumper or jacket.

Again with the spin. The reports of the graves sites were made before the report of the discovery of bodies bound and buried which is what people were “edgelording”. This is withdrawn not mass grave sites story.

The media have turned this story from a war buriel site into a mass grave akin to Srebrenica, this may yet be found but so far no.

But they are!! That is one of Ukraine's strategies and rightfully so. To keep feeding stories to European media, so as to keep their situation at or near the top of the news cycle. It's nothing to do with Russian strategy to simply recognise this and take it into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,895 ✭✭✭✭josip

The mud doesn't last until Spring. It will be frozen by December. The Germans launched Operation Winter Storm on the 12th of December in 1942.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Zelensky didn't actually accuse Russia of war crimes in his TV address last night. He simply said that a mass grave had been discovered in Izyum, that authorities were investigating and observed that the Russians leave death and destruction everywhere they go (a fair and accurate observation about the fascist regime).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

just people speaking out of both sides of their mouths

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'd offer you a spade, but your mouth is managing just fine on it's own. You know, when the top of the hole is above your head, you're allowed to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

He also said there would be more details tomorrow, which I think means they definitely have evidence of war crimes, and are now dotting i's and crossing t's before going public.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I would say desperation is the motive. They could hit something that would do some damage hopefully. That damage civilian or military is irrelevant for them, they just want some achievement to point at to deflect and hopefully increase morale (from their perspective). It's encouraging that they feel so desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Not wanting to derail the thread here but the correct measure of the impact of COVID is the number of excess deaths. Year over year deaths, the excess indicates the impact of COVID without the noise of correct tagging. This assumes that COVID is the dominant public health issue during the period which I hope we can all agree on.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

And yet again I have to remind you. If you really do struggle to interact in a civil manner then do not post at all, or I will remove your posting privileges

Did I mention Zelensky or his press conference in any post today 🤔, No I did not 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement

Ah look,another fresh account supporting Putin the great, his genocide, and new soviet union

Does Prigozhin pay you well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement