Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,759 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Irish really are world leaders at self-deprecation and self-loathing. 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Garth Brooks is taking advantage of the off season in Kerry and using his jet to avoid the car rental charges. Needs must!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Don’t leave out, feelings of helplessness and blaming others.

Stomach churning at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Who is going to pick up the bill for affordable housing built on mass? The taxpayers.

The fact is that it costs x to build and proposing that someone only pays y (affordable) means someone will have to pay the difference between x and y otherwise property wouldn’t be built. No business is going to say less make a loss on building houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I think it's less that the state made no effort to give foreigners a better chance and more that it wanted a large underclass of imported individuals. Let me be clear, I have no issues with immigration, but we have seen largely uncontrolled immigration with no consideration to demographics and pressure on services. The state has show no effort to address this, even proscribing proscribing its discussion.

Why did this happen? Well, it would seem to me that it suits a neo-liberal agenda to have a large block of cheap workers who double as rent cattle. The people came here to seek a better life, which I can understand, but they are being abused by the system. I have a number of Romanian friends who pay hundreds each month to share a bedroom in a crowed house. Many of these are well educated, multi-lingual individuals, and they are very, very aware of what's going on.

The people who run the modern Western states are simply not of the caliber of leaders of the past. They live in wealthy echo-chamber communities where they are shielded from the consequences of their own policies, if they even care to take notice thereof. I don't think that Ireland was ever an exceptionally well-governed state, but at least 50 years ago, those in charge were of a generation that had experienced extreme hard-ships. Today, we have a group of over-fed, underworked toffs who are selling and have sold the future of Ireland to keep themselves in pensions.

As I've said before, until these people face the music for the tunes they're paying, nothing will change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Jesus the internet really doesn't reflect real life

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Who picked up the bill in the 50s/60s/70s for corporation housing? The taxpayers.

Were those houses not built the country would have been crippled with poverty still.

Are there any countries with well functioning housing & rental markets, that do not have government building social houses?

100% social housing is required nobody is arguing about that.

What I am pointing out is that people are looking for property at prices that are cheaper than the build cost and at the same giving out about government supports such as HTB grants and shared equity schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Ah ok - thought you meant social houses.

Affordable houses should really just be at-cost houses, doesnt make sense to try and hit a price below that. If you cannot afford cost price for the house, you should qualify for social housing or cost-rental or some such scheme.

Really social housing income limits should be vastly expanded, and many many more built. Eventually it would put downward pressure on market rents. The big problem of course is how to evict anti-social tenants, until that is addressed social housing cannot work in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭quokula

Ain't that the truth. Global studies and rankings regularly put Ireland among the very highest standards of living in the entire world, and in most parts of the country towns and cities are buzzing with people enjoying life if you go outside. Everything isn't perfect or course, there have been huge global challenges affecting everyone from pandemics to climate change to energy crises and inflation, but Ireland is still coping comparatively well right now and it's a far cry from the picture painted by the misery junkies.

High housing prices are usually a side effect of booming economies and high standards of living, and that's been compounded by material and construction cost rises, just when things were ramping up after a pause caused by the pandemic. Nobody's going to wave a magic wand to fix everything but construction is still ramping up, costs are stabilizing and possibly reducing again, and we're seeing prices starting to level off to go with that. There are certainly issues with our planning system and regulations that are less than ideal, but no amount of government meddling or backing off will fix everything overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

My God! The country’s not perfect, there’s no arguing with that, but it’s actually a great place to live by almost any objective measure you can find.

What model of social housing provision would you support. There's no denying that the current system is the most expensive for the taxpayer and in addition makes it more difficult for those that aspire to provide there own accomodation thereby increasing the pool of people that need subsidised accommodation.

Social housing provision, HTB, shared ownership and almost every scheme dreamed up are all inflationary thereby moving us further away from a workable solution

Without mentioning the criteria Irish Times today

Bank of Ireland is preparing to make it more difficult for borrowers to secure new mortgages as it tightens up its affordability criteria against the backdrop of rising interest rates and living costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

As an aside, I work in a company of about 35 people, almost all under 40, with a majority born outside Ireland; including people from Brazil, Portugal, Germany, America, Argentina, Korea and of course the UK. They all seem to like Ireland quite well, or least pretend! Not a single one of them is on the streets, despite relatively modest salaries in the grand scheme of things. I really, really wonder what kind of workplaces some of those posting in this thread find themselves in, where everyone (Irish or otherwise) despises this country and wishes they could escape - we must be holding those people against their wills somehow! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

What's the general feeling towards bidding online vs bidding privately over the phone. SherryFitz have this online system which lets you see bids as they come in, which seems like a great idea because of the transparency. But on the house I'm looking at the agent isn't using it. I don't know if that's a bit dodgy so that they can invent competing bidders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

I agree we need social housing but I would remove the whole idea that once a person reaches 18 they register for housing support.

People should try house themselves and if unsuccessful by say 30 then register for housing support.

Evictions for anti social behaviour and non payment of rent should be streamlined. 99% of people in social housing are the nicest hardworking honest people you would ever meet

It is the 1% who destroy areas. I would remove the differential rate for calculating rent and replace it with one that takes account of household income (with no max rent fig which I believe is €260 a week) and availability of local services/amenities.

Finally I would include the type of property in the rental calculations to reflect a single person in a three bed property.

All revenue from above is then ringfenced as a self financing model specifically for social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

I would contend that this view is flawed with goldfish memory syndrome which ignores that a mere ten years ago the property market and economy was on its knees with a grim outlook for the country - how did this happen if the place was so great and booming only five years before that!?

What has changed in the last ten years in terms of things that make a big difference to the quality of life for those in the country? Minimal infrastructure, energy, housing, education and health (pre-covid) investment and improvement, so I'm dubious that we have much to show for the last ten years.

To think the place is booming now is to effectively admit there is no prospect of the economy and property market crashing - this is necessarily the outlook for someone having such a view.

How many are renting with families in tow? That is where the fun relationship breaks down in a lot of cases - totally unsustainable long term here when the cheapest, habitable 3 bed rental is €3k+ pm (especially now with general cost of living added on top of that, you would need to be clearing €140k+ in salaries at a minimum to be renting as a family needing 3 beds; that's a minimum amount).

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

We are absolutely blessed that a few tech and FS companies are in Dublin for tax reasons. Without them it would be Birmingham. Probably harsh on Birmingham.

If your to solve the housing crisis fast then you need to build basic houses in new council estates like was done in the past but was stopped due to creating ghettos. The vast majority of the people don’t cause trouble so in order to deal with the few bad eggs You need powers to evict anti-social tenants. 3 strikes and they loose their right to be housed by the state. it’s far from ideal but it would be the quickest way to solve the shortage.

• Advertisement

They started fine but evolved into ghettos, I know a few who started in those estates but were offered grants to move out to free up for new applicants. They didn't start as high unemployment blacks spots. Would it have been better if those offered grants to move were instead offered the chance to purchase at replacement cost. Probably,

We have 4% unemployment right now, there is no reason for any estate to be dominated by unemployed persons

No arguments on policing,

That is absolute rubbish. There was a global recession which affected every economy, not just Ireland. It is a testament to our resilience that though the economy was “on its knees”, we endured, and picked up again. Our economy improved before many others thanks to foreign investment, low corporate tax, prudent fiscal policies and our will to succeed. Ireland was a great place to live, even in the worst of times.

You seem to have been unleashed back to your previous iteration, just with a new moniker.

Being of the opinion that the place is booming, and that there is a prospect of the property market crashing are not mutually exclusive. The majority of people in Ireland who own property and/or have good jobs can hold the opinion that things are not as bad as people like you say they are, while accepting that costs are rising and that there is a possibility, or even a probability that property prices will fall at some stage. But having a fatalistic and myopic view that if it is bad for me, it must be bad for everyone is a nonsense. The fact is that for most people Ireland is a great place to live, we would not live anywhere else, people such as yourself believe that if you don’t get what you want, it must be bad for everyone.

Ireland is a country with a high number of well paying jobs, there are a hell of a lot of people in their 20s and 30s who are paid a lot, they are your competition when you try to buy a home, that is life.

The flaw, is that you think that just because you have an education and/or a job, you deserve to be able to buy a property wherever you want. And yet there you are in the land of clocks, happy, but unable to afford to buy a home. Go figure.

One of the downsides of the recovery in our economy and the success of some people, is that we have a generation who now think that they are owed what others have by virtue to sharing the same nationality.

Post edited by Dav010 on

@Dav010

When your generation and mine have covered the cost of the mess we've created and passed on to future generations, maybe then we can lecture them and pass on our percieved wisdom

Widom is borne of experience, advice is a form of nostalgia where we leave out the bad parts and focus on the good that we want to pass on. We did not ever live in a country/economy without debt, it has always been there, and it always will. Neither you nor I, nor our contemporaries will “cover” the cost of this mess, nor will we be required to. Every economy exists in a state where debt is managed, sometimes it goes up, sometimes down, but we don’t all lose the run of ourselves, and we don’t all think it defines us, or this country. At this moment, the savings that people have on deposits in banks has rarely been higher, even during the last boom. The problem this time is that there are a lot more people with high incomes and savings so they can outspend and outbid people their own age. That is unfortunate, but we all make choices, some choose careers that pay more. You see a country that is terrible, most of us just get on with life, we have seen worse times than you see now, and we still managed. The problem now is that you and others think that a country with full employment, a good quality of life, a good education system, for the most part an happy population, is awful because you aren’t thriving. Anyone that thinks things aren’t tougher now as a result of higher prices is in denial, but Ireland is not unique in that, we didn’t cause Covid or start a war in Ukraine. There probably isn’t an economy in the world which hasn’t seen prices/debt rise as a result of global events. Things may get worse before they get better, but history shows that this has always been the way.

If you are not happy here, the world is a big place.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

All fine, but completely falls apart into mush when we talk about the rental market.

It is at such catastrophically high prices and null supply that it has choked the prosperity out of the country for those that are in the rental market, which of course is dominated by the well paid tech workers whose jobs brought any sort of recovery to the country - this gift horse has been looked in the mouth.

Your post is unfortunately common among a lot of the mé féiners in Ireland that unfortunately share two negative characteristics with the worst of the Americans; greed (I have my lot and you can stuff it) and stubbornness (if you don't like it, you can leave).

There are far too many Irish people that have this nasty entitlement side, from NIMBYs to property tax objectors to pensioners expecting pensions that they never paid for while living in mortgage free homes.

The country is in a state right now with savings at record highs and house prices soaring, yet people are crying that they can't afford their energy bills - that shows how the prosperity to me is a sham.

The country is not booming despite the FG propaganda and this is playing out now with the whinging about energy bills and mortgage rates.

Unfortunately the mess the country is in is largely due to its own greed (get homeowners out of negative equity at all costs) and having the inner circle feast from the trough (Exchequer cash) instead of building something sustainable and open for young Irish and international people to settle here and have a functioning housing market and general life. Anyway, for other reasons, the inflection has occurred and you reap what you sow - it's not going to be pretty.

I will just use the two examples again from the last few posts;

1. Why, if the country has been booming and is a great place to live, have there been pathetic improvements in our infrastructure, education, housing and health sectors during these booming years? The cost of housing has accelerated due to supply being managed to stay low while the State throws good money at the overheated demand side, businesses are charging high prices because of taxes and an out of control insurance industry - neither are expensive because they are fundamentally high quality offerings.

2. The French embassy wouldn't post a warning about the country if it didn't have some substance behind it, with the substance being direct experience of French people who came to the country to work and study.

The embassy warned the housing situation in Dublin is much more expensive than Paris and Lana from Bordeaux, who moved here from London, says the price of accommodation and transport is also much worse value than London.

Post edited by jimmybobbyschweiz on

The time to do this was a few years ago but it wasn't done and now the country's further growth prospects have evaporated until the economy cools or corrects. It's a runaway train on a downhill trajectory that we will have to leave to itself.

0 rentals available in the country means no more jobs which means no additional income and corporate taxes which means a need for additional taxes and spending cuts that aren't happening or else more State borrowing which of course means higher interest repayments for the State which means more taxes and spending cuts are needed that aren't happening.

It's a viscous spiral from here and is really a time for individuals to manage spending, increase savings, pay down debt (that shouldn't exist anyway after the COVID boon) and make sure you are doing a good job in your work. Over a year ago in summer 2021 I posted on my other account to go low for long with a mortgage rate and by long I meant 10-20 years. Late last year and early this year I said that the ECB would make an embarrassing U-turn and admit inflation is sticking around and is not transitory so will ultimately raise rates - when you see Philip Lane in such a prominent position at the ECB you know that the private sector is ten steps ahead of the ECB and the private sector plotted the course they ultimately took, way before they ultimately took it. You have previously qualified your defence of the current housing market costs by noting that a hit to demand would do something to alleviate the issue and I have replied many times pointing out that the big MNC hiring frenzy will stall or reverse into job cuts which will hit demand - this has been on the cards for a while now and is not surprising to see it all materialising now - what happens around these jobs losses to the State are that FG, Inc. will blame the global economic slowdown and not say anything about the housing market impact on the job losses/hiring freezes.

There won't be any State bailout for mortgage holders this time around as the money isn't there. There is already no hope for renters who need to move to a new place so best to just take stock if you're sticking around.

To think otherwise, is effectively to have solved the housing crisis so please, if you disagree with the above, tell me how the housing crisis has been solved.

Again, with experience comes knowledge.

People like you cry “why me? Why can’t I buy a home?, I deserve to be able to”. Our economy have recovered incredibly well from being on our knees 10 yrs ago. So much so that we have full employment even though our population is at its highest since pre famine times. People have not had to emigrate for jobs for almost a decade, that is a stark contrast to what went before. But an unfortunate side effect is that house building didn’t keep pace.

Our experience tells us that over supply of housing helped to exacerbate the last recession, then, developers were pariahs because they built too many units and people fell into mortgage debt traps. Now they don’t build enough, yet they and the Government are still pariahs.

You and your like wallow in misery, you do not see that for most people our economy’s recovery has been a positive. Those MNC‘s that so many think are the root of all evil have created jobs for our highly educated tech graduates, who would have had to emigrate otherwise. The consequence of that? They have the money to spend, MNCs put 16bn in direct wage payments into our economy last year, the trickle down effect to other businesses/people is enormous. Is this a bad thing? Only if you think success is bad, begrudgery is good.

The French embassy posted about accommodation, so what? Are they telling you anything you don’t know, does it affect our lives in any way? No it doesn’t, in a couple of days time only people like you will think what someone in the French embassy thinks is important. But it suits your narrative.

I think you and your comrades could do with being a little more “me Fein” and do a little less whinging that the Government/society isn’t helping you more.

Greed drives economies, profit allows expansion, without both, what do you think drives business owners to succeed? You call it stubbornness, maybe we are just mentally stronger and more durable than you.

On one point I do agree with you though, State intervention has completely wrecked the rental market. RPZ legislation and failure to address the difficulty in removing errant tenants has contributed to LLs leaving the sector. But SF are about to make it worse, so be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

It's going to be very difficult to keep those new celtic tiger prices from heading south when banks start cutting the money .... anyone not selling now could regret it this time next year

Buyers struggle to get mortgages as rising prices limit loan offers

The ECB is expected to increase interest rates aggressively in the coming months

Higher interest rates mean higher monthly repayments, and record inflation results in borrowers having less disposable income.

Stricter net disposable income requirements mean every extra €50 to €70 a month in costs for a single income family reduces the amount they can borrow by up to €10,000.

Borrowers are being told that even though they can borrow a certain amount based on the income limits set by the Central Bank, the impact of cost-of-living increases on disposable income are trumping this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Who's going to live in these houses paid for by taxpayers ?

Taxpayers

Advertisement