Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

What post # did you pull that quote from? I never said that. When you’ve to resort to making up quotes you’ve lost the argument. I’m not going to waste my time on you. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Would you listen to yourself? Do you ever try applying, I dunno, actual logic?

Not everyone in Ukraine earns the average salary. It varies quite a bit. https://biz30.timedoctor.com/average-salary-in-ukraine/ Will the average factory worker or sunflower farmer be driving a Tesla? No. Same as Ireland. Will a doctor, or a good software dev, or a company executive? Sure. Why not. Especially if they can do it with cheap finance.

Good chance they don't need our generous welfare.

Why? If you're a doctor or in another regulated profession, you can't work here. If you don't have good English in a high-paying role, you won't get work here.

here they are filling up accommodation that is badly needed.

They need accommodation too?

Why travel all the way across Europe when they can buy accommodation closer to home.

What with? The big suitcase of money they brought with them? Would you listen to yourself! They're refugees!

"There is plenty of Ukraine untouched by war. Plenty of space for all Ukrainians to return." - #247

"I was pointing out that there will be hundreds of thousands of people miles from any bombings, that’s how vast Ukraine is." - #240

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Yeah, no sigh of the quote used though. "Most of Ukraine is empty." is what he quoted me as saying. Literally zero use of the word empty, or any intonation that Ukraine was empty. Just that there was space for Ukrainian people.

You know what a quote is, don’t you??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

And why have the numbers increase exponentially when the war is going good for Ukraine. You would have a point if it was constant but it's not. first few month 10k then were upto nearly 50k. Not sure the current figure. If it was a temporary thing people would just move to neighbouring countries. Again if your house has been destroyed come in it's fine. But even in that case most would just move to neighbouring countries wait it out and move back and rebuild. There is something about a wet damp Island on the edge of Europe with known housing crisis healthcare crisis whole slew of others. 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Taking in the Ukrainians is a political necessity. The countries in Eastern Europe are taking more than we are. The Germans don't want to have to fight the Russians again after the mauling they got last time. If we want to retain such influence as we have in Europe we have to accept the relatively small number of Ukrainians we are getting. The real question is why the government is so sluggish about resolving the accommodation issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

It's perfectly reasonable to have personally done nothing to make the student accommodation situation better, and yet still point the finger at you.

You are, after all, actively supporting policies that have made it substantially worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭hawley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

In the previous thread I mentioned about a bungalow that is currently being converted and chalets built to accommodate 39 refugees in a rural area about 12km from the nearest town.

An associate of the guy building it has now gotten the same idea and has started construction of a similar chalet setup to accommodate up to 30.

These two guys are far from humanitarians. They are two of the biggest money hungry scumbags around. One tore out about 2-3km of hedgerow and destroyed an acre of two of habitat that had not been touched in decades to make space for his failing dairy business last winter.

Not to worry though, both seem quite confidant that they're going to have a great choice of cheap workers for their farms if their mouthing off in the pub this week is anything to go by.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

So there are no illegal Irish in America or Australia. Riiiight...

Funny how your selective reading skillz missed the part where I wrote: If illegally they should be deported back to Ireland.

There's a CTA between Britain and Ireland with reciprocal social welfare arrangements. So yeah. You can rock up there and get the same entitlements as a British citizen.

And less than half the entitlements you'd be elligible for here and their criteria are stricter.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

What are we getting in return? What rewards will we gain for being seen to facilitate this - I mean specific, material ones, not nebulous 'influence'?

If you think the government is 'sluggish' about resolving the accommodation issue, you must have a simple solution in your mind that everyone has missed. One that quickly and cheaply produces lots of homes in the right location without affecting any of the various competing interests in the housing market. How about you go ahead and state it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

ireland is taking in 20 BILLION this year in corporation tax, almost all related to Ireland being part of the EU and using that as a lever for companies to locate in Ireland, with the tax being almost exclusively related to sales on the continent being booked in ireland .

If theres a war in Europe, Ireland will notice it damn quick and that magic money tree will be one of the first things to show signs of it.

If you're seriously suggesting our membership would have been in peril: the EU doesn't even have a legal mechanism to expel us.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

laughable that you can only criticise posters in such a ridiculous passive aggressive manner whom you disagree with, then proceed going around in circles with your nonsensical rhetoric as above as opposed to engaging in any salient and intelligible discussion .. :)

I can’t do much ‘about’ homelessness personally, if I had a couple of spare properties maybe, I don’t , I do plenty as my family do to help homeless people however as anyone down in church st. From the late Fr Leonard Coughlan, recently retired Br Kevin Crowley and Fr Brian would attest to.

so go on with your laughable all right , you are living in a parallel universe… somewhere and somewhat divorced from reality. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yes I think numbers of refugees should be capped . If we want to give shelter and look after refugees then we need to be sure we have decent warm safe shelter . It is very unfair to invite people in then they find out they are housed in tents or sport halls etc . This should be made clear to them before they come

I also think it should be regulated and young able bodied men and women put in tents and hotel rooms and offered homes first offered to elderly , ill or disabled and women with young children .

I posted before about a friend with a beautiful flat with room for 3 or 4 was asked by the RC to take a single ( no disability ) 30 year old male . Absolutely ridiculous when small children are in hotel rooms or sport halls

I think anyone in a situation where they get free meals , free rooms and no bills absolutely shouldn’t be getting full €203 . We now have a situation where a refugee would have more disposable income than a resident of Ireland who find themselves unemployed or indeed more disposable income than a pensioner on SW pension .

This is all becoming clear to people and causing unease and unrest

Absolutely we should take genuine refugees who are fleeing from a dreadful war and taking their children out of a situation where they are terrified . But we must make sure those who need our help are helped and those who are seeking only to cash on what is on offer are filtered out

So you're actually doing something about homelessness, then. Fair play to you for that.

Can't blame me for taking issue with posters complaining about homelessness or lack of student accommodation, though, when they are literally perennial problems, and some posters have admitted doing **** all about them, yet raise the issues now "because Ukrainians".

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ThoseSpikesAreSore

Somebody on the last thread had a link to the figures on a site for international help. It showed that we are not taking in a relatively low amount but that we have quite a high amount for our population like, and they compared it to the amount of Ukrainian refugees that are in Europe right now. I don't know how to find the latest figures but on the last thread we had 50000 and there was something like 2 and a half million in Europe. I can't link to it but I have showed it to a lot of my friends here and everyone agrees it is madness when you look around and see how it is effecting everything. It makes no sense to me to have no limit to the amount of them coming in. So far we have only taken in a quarter of the final amount that it is estimated we will take in like. How are we going to take in that many because I don't see the houses being built that fast and it isn't just the Ukrainians that are suffering anymore

A certain Famous Irish footballer from Donegal who owns a hotel is taking in a lot of refugees there.

I know it is his business but I'm sure he's not that hard up.

I have never seen Killybegs so quiet as regards tourism. Ok Covid, but at least businesses were covered financially then.

It's a vicious circle because if hotels keep housing refugees, tourism will keep dropping off and they'll keep depending on the refugee tourism industry, shall we say. Catch 22, pardon the pun.

I think this post hits the nail on the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

This is an example of the point view i am coming from in relation to the hotels. The bar and restaurant will be exclusively for use of residents. Therefore not generating any income from locals/ visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ireland is taking in more Ukranian refugees than France or the United States are, that is the level of insanity we're dealijng with. The Government wanted to take in two hundred THOUSAND Ukranian refugees and no one in the media had to balls to ask them if they were completely delusional.

Influence in Europe. Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Major cash cow, so not surprising, plenty of cheap labor to work in their factories too

I agree and logically it stands to reason, if a hotel could stay afloat on only their accomodation rate,they would not require an onsite bar and restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Also happened with my local nursing home where my daughter had a part time job that was helping to fund her college living expenses. Absolutely no thought give to the elderly residents and their families that were devastated.. Disgraceful stuff

Are there many factories in and around Westport?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Yonce

I think you need to take a break. You are spawning the same drivel as the last thread.

There are very little xenophobic or racist comments from the majority of posters. Go back and read the thread it's there for viewing. Yes there are some, just like there are some genuine refugees, but the vast majority of posters from I can tell are genuine hardworking people/citizens. People like me, concerned parents,one who has a diverse family, and more non native friends than not. People like me who get up at the crack of dawn and work hard, pay taxes, law abiding (besides that idiotic Tv license), who raise my kids to be good citizens. I for one do not want to see someone who is here under 'temporary' protection have more disposable income than me, I don't think anyone here after not ever paying one red cent into my country should have that. Yes, also I don't think someone driving a Tesla should be swanning around here picking up a cheque, free food, accommodation, back to education allowance, and everything but oxygen they ask for free on Facebook either while I can barely cover bills with two good incomes. Do not see this as jealousy, or begrudging, far from it. Fairness perhaps.

Yep call me xenophobic because I want my hard working taxes to pay off at some f##### stage. Call me racist because I think the government 'elected' are absolutely shafting the people who prop this country up. No I do not think it should be uncapped. It should have been capped a long time ago.

We should be offering shelter and board and not a thing else. The ones who want to work and contribute will stay and the rest will run.

Judging by many social media channels across the board I can tell you I am not alone in my concerns, I would go as far as even saying you and the very few posters here who have no concerns about this are in the minority at this stage.

Donegal already has more than it's fair share, thanks.

Where exactly do you think we're going to house them, find school places, jobs, or hospital beds, given we're already having more than enough problems?

We don't have housing for people whose houses are on the verge of collapse with Mica! If you can exain why Ukrainian kids whose houses are in danger of collapse are more deserving than Irish kids whose houses are in danger of collapsing, I'm all ears!

Letterkenny Hospital is constantly resorting to emergency protocols due to overcrowding, and my local school was approved for rebuild over 20 years ago. Playground is now dangerously overcrowded, because it's covered in prefabs.

Transport infrastructure is a joke, but we should take more Ukrainians?

Grand. What's the government's fastrack plan to provide the necessary infrastructure?

Oh, yes - it doesn't exist....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Don't know. but that family owns 2 in Westport

• Advertisement

I can only surmise they have reached a level of comfortabilty and feel they have/will not be impacted by the ludicrous no cap crap. Openly display contempt towards their younger counterparts who as you said have legitimate concerns about the current and long reaching effects.

Advertisement