Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

A smart phone is different, it's normally used when you're not driving as it should be but personally I think we'd all be better off without them but we're all addicted, a few weeks detox and there'd be no going back, I detoxed from Facebook and Twitter best thing ever lol, accounts deleted.

In a car having access to common functions via button or using idrive to scroll through menus is, in my opinion much better and safer but depends on how they design the software to begin with.

Does the i4 have as much rear room as the id3 ? wider I'm sure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No, i4 is smaller in the rear than most if not all other EV’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

To give you answer routed in facts rather than just opinion. Yes it actually has more space. I4 Wheelbase is 85mm longer, it's is 117mm wider and head room is almost identical. Boot space is 470 litres versus 385 litres in the id3. There is a central tunnel though in the i4.

I don't mean wheelbase that can be deceiving, actual interior room, the id3 doesn't have the big engine bay so just curious, width is width so yeah the id3 isn't a big car, it is roomy inside alright for leg room but it is quite narrow but not a big deal really, more boot space would have been nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I sat in one today, I know I’m coming from a 5 series, but I was disappointed how cosy the i4 is, I just find it too small. My wife is size 10, not big, but she felt the same.

I’ll wait and see the i5. I’m told the iX40 range is just too low. Looking at the EQE too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,033 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

You really can't have enough range especially when you head South - North keeping more West, the more range the better.

More range isn't needed until it's wanted, better to have it than want it.

I know that charging is possible, but I did 750km over the last two days, over 11 hrs in the car, so the less charging time the better as far as I’d be concerned.

I’d tend to agree that more is pretty much always better.

The id.3 tour 5 has got great range but on long trips away from home especially to the South West, West, North West and North, the lack of infrastructure is clear, even if you find a charger it's a single DC 50 Kw and there is a chance it could be down with nothing else around for many miles.

There should be chargers in every garage at at this stage should be no less than 150 Kw, 50 Kw was ok back when the Leaf MK I was released back in 2011.

• Advertisement

only if you actually need it, it sounds like you may well do so that’s fair enough, most people don’t so fretting about or paying extra for range that will be needed once or twice a year isnt worth it !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

The only cure for that is education and more and better public charging infrastructure. I always thought my last ICE would be my last twist for something sporty and petrol powered, collecting an M3 RWD today and I would have always thought I needed the long range but I will easily be able to live with the RWD range now I better understand the abilities of the car and also the prospective battery degradation over time, I think a big factor in people looking for the biggest battery is driven by that especially if they plan to keep the car for an extended period of time they want a car that is still fully usable 5-6 years later. But if you are changing every 3 years or so it’s not a critical decision point. We did a number of Irish road trips this summer and numerous times we saw large queues at a single HPCs at motorway services with plenty of pi$$ed off drivers with cars full of kids looking less than impressed and nobody wants to sign up for that. If the new applegreen in Ballymount is the template going forward buying for range will be much less of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

It's disgraceful, also so many shopping centres and not a single charger in their car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

The Range thing for most people is not an issue. As a Dublin dweller (like 33% of Irish people), I charge my car about once a week from 40 to 85% at home and thats it. Long trips are planned around fast chargers off the motorways. But adding more range to car really just makes them more expensive and heavier (some new mad battery tech allowing). Infrastructure is the issue. If the car can get from 20 to 70% on a fast chargerand can do 250 - 400km on a full charge in 15 minutes, that all anyone needs. ICE cars work for people not because the fuel tank are large, but because they can fill them most places easily.

It is coming, I can see that the ESB and others are pushing at the moment to get the chargers in place and hopefully replace the aweful 50kw CHadeom/CCS combo chargers with something better.

Those queues are generally because most people just for esb chargers rather than educating themselves about the alternative, usually slower as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Oh I know but my wife’s first reaction to seeing the queues was you’re not getting an electric car if we have to Q like that, and I think she is probably a good yardstick for the troglodyte majority. I know when going any great distance it will be IONITY or Supercharger if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Yeah the Continental EcoContact 6 on my Cupra Born have some rim protection and they're crappy EV tyres. Every tyre should have it. Apparently the newer Pilot Sport 5 doesn't have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,644 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

This is why I love my iX 40 though! I really got used to the higher and more spacious cabin in our previous i3, and I just couldn't stomach the thought of another low-down, back breaking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Richard Symons 3 month review on the i4 M50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Kids in an M50? Madness.

Wouldn't let them within 10 feet of the car 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

New 1000km challenge with cooling issue fixed!? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

And the circus that is BMW continues, contacted genius chat to get another update on car that was due last April. Recently it was due for production on 3rd Oct, then 23rd Oct and now they are telling me 19th December. They said it’s mainly down to BMW Germany and not dealer. Still at 111.

Very very frustrating, would love to know what criteria they are applying when deciding when or what to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

@rodge123 Ours seem to be following a similar pattern. Mine moved to October 3rd too, which was still the same last week, but after seeing your post I checked again today… Now mine is also 19th December, so that’s likely toward end of January for delivery if it stays that way. I don’t get it either, there’s clearly people in other countries, UK included that are getting their cars sooner. I assume little old Ireland is just not priority.

Seriously considering cancelling now. I’m waiting since October 21 🤬

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ask @PaulJoseph22 He ordered a few weeks ago according to him.

Be interesting to see what delivery he got as others have said they stopped taking orders.

I was in one demo last week. It’s probably the only demo in Ireland.

May be for sale in few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

Yeah he mentioned 12 months which is fair enough for people ordering now, but the point is it wasn’t 12 months when we ordered, it was only 5-6 months, my car was originally due March 22, so you’d expect it to be way up the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

I was told in May that the order book was closed for the year. I was able to pay a small deposit to go on a list to order as soon as the order book opens again. I'm not hopeful of it happening any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Theres an i4 M50 up on carzone. 222 reg 7k km, no price, not a main dealer.

October 21, that’s bad…they must be completely neglecting the Irish market - if so, not sure why the main dealers are not making more of a fuss about it with BMW (Maybe they are in private).

Would actually love to tell them to shove it at this stage but options are limited. Not mad about Teslas; Taycan and gt etron too far a stretch for finances. Don’t really fancy overspending on a used ice.

Our problem now is that our second car is banjaxed, only good for scrapyard so will have to manage in the one car..Kids, work, family make it tricky to manage with one car as live rurally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Are you all waiting for m50’s or any for the 40model?

From what I’ve seen the 40 model seems to be much quicker to get.

• Advertisement

Advertisement