Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,061 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bit pointless out of Martin to come back - Kenny's only got Obafemi for a few days, so of course when asked he's gonna give him the benefit of the doubt to try to build him up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Can we afford to drop Shane Duffy though based on his scoring threat? Until we have someone who can score regularly for us that's our biggest issue. I think a back 3 of Nathan Collins, John Egan and Shane Duffy s still very strong. We have some serious options off the bench then in the position. Scoring goals for us has always been the major problem. If we had a Robbie Keane or Jon Walters even scoring I'd be of the view you go for the best in from defensive player and that would be Andrew without a doubt. I know it this won't be acceptable to the pass the ball 2000 times around the defence before you go forward brigade but I think we need to maintain a scoring threat.

He has one goal for every eight games he has played including 3 in 2021. I wouldn't be dropping him just yet lads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

His job is to defend. If he can't do that it doesn't matter how many goals he gets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Didn't see the Southampton game, only see the result now. If anyone seen the game how did our keeper do overall ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Well if he gets more goals than we concede then he should be in the team.

He had a decent game but if I was to be really critical he should have tipped the header that lead to the goal well over the bar. He got unlucky, tipped it onto the bar and they scored the rebound.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Obafemi back in the match day squad on the bench.

Collins probably gonna face his hardest test today up against Haaland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Collins red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭Xander10

Only had to play 32 mins. Red CArd.

Poorly timed tackle, no intent I think. Easy for the Ref to give.

• Advertisement

Nathan collins red card for a karate kick on Grealish.

Insane from Collins, it was a Kung Fu kick not a tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Collins obviously had planned to be well rested for the Irish international games, channelling his inner Cantona.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

He can defend fine. He cant tippy tappy the ball into a holding midfielder endlessly all game. That seems to be the issue. Surely having 2 cb's doing that is enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Obviously tried to kick the ball in mid air and just mistimed it,no malice in it or argument about it,they were beaten already

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Heard Breen or Delaney on OTB last year explaining how when Duffy plays it means Ireland sit further back as he can't defend high up the pitch with his lack of pace. Explained it very well and how Duffy is fine against stronger teams where we're pinned back most of the game but causes issues against teams we're similar level to and weaker teams looking to hit us on the counter.

Easy drop him due to lack of gametime this window when we have 4 CB playing more regularly. I'd play Collins, Egan and Obobamidele and see that as the best backline for the next few years all going well

Justin Ferizaj was approached by Albania about a senior call up last month but turned them down.

Ryan Manning with a goal for Swansea.

• Advertisement

Ryan Manning !! Are you watching Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Travers won't be getting a look in if Neto keeps playing like this

Dara O'Shea scored early against Norwich. In acres of space at the back post and headed home a free kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

I really fear for him. Unless the new manager there comes in and selects him from the start I think it'll be a long season of him warming the bench. Very little chance of him getting a move in January either as Bournemouth still need cover.

Did you see the last couple of games? Only for poor finishing he gifted 2 goals

• Advertisement

Conte not giving Doherty a sniff of a chance. Played well towards the end of last season.

It's not like Spur have a great defence without him.

Probably needs to move on asap.

Should start seeing more of him after the international break I reckon going by those comments. Spurs games have been tight enough bar one or two and Conte is someone that's big on fitness. Though surely he'd have played U21s games to give him minutes to build match fitness.

McGuinness will miss the play offs and with Oisin McEntee just recently back training after a long term injury we're likely to Garcia McNulty called up.

U19s squad named and two new faces in John Clarke and Ronan Maher. Clarke is a LB that can play LCB and has made three appearences from the bench for Reading this season. Maher is an attacking midfielder who made his debut for Walsall this season and has made eight appearences with two starts.

Luca Connell, David Harrington, Liam Kerrigan, and Mark McGuiness have all been ruled out through injury.

• Advertisement

**** luck for Omobamidele who was in good form this season.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Would have thought Jimmy Dunne would have had a better shout over Scales

Haha. Ffs. Liam Scales in over zjimmy Dunne, Ryan Manning and Daragh Lenihan. That makes zero sense.

Darragh Lenihan is injured and hasn't played a game since August 30th.

Ok my mistake. I thought that but just bother googling to confirm. Liam scales though. Its a poor call by Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'm a fan of Scales and think he is a good player who can play both centre back and left wing back, but it is surprising he's in over Jimmy Dunne.

Yeh I get that just a really odd inclusion over Jimmy Dunne who is playing and performing really well in the championship over the last 2.5 years. It's not as if we need cover for LWB in the squad either. Kenny must not rate Dunnes tippy tappy skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That CM positions still worry a little. Cullen as a 6 is fine and Molumby now playing well for WBA and he is good ball winner. But we badly need a better creative player or more box to box type to make a difference. Real pity Knight did not get move to championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭AhhHere

Cullen's replacement specifically is the bigger worry. Hourihane is there for this reason which is less than ideal.

I'm looking at some of our ball playing centre backs and think one could become a solid DM. My bet? Omobamidele. Has the attributes imo and allows o Shea/ Duffy in the back 3.

I said before that i think Collins in the long run could manage the move out into DM. He has all the attributes and is playing at the top level.

Yeh its crazy that knight didnt get a move or he didnt try and push one through. Hes totally wasted in league 1.

Brady probanly more of an impact player for the last 20 minutes.

Id feel we need to get the ball into the feet of the front two quick. If build up is too slow we dont have a player capable of picking a pass. Hopefully we're not looking back on meaningless possession stats trying to find positives.

It's one thing being able to push up into midfield and beyond from defence which we've seen Collins do to great affect, that wonder goal against Ukraine and for Burnley against Spurs he dribbled into the final third and played a lovely through ball for the keeper.

But from the CB position you've got the whole pitch ahead of you and can see everything. Stepping into midfield to play now your heads got to be on a 360 swivel because you've got players moving all around you.

If their clubs had as much confidence as Irish fans do of one of them playing midfield they'd have converted them into a midfielder by now. Especially Norwich with Omobamidele after the money they've probably spent on midfielders in the last couple of seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,061 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If one of our defenders had to switch into a temporary DM spot, for me it'd be Coleman for sure anyway. (Though I would prefer we play midfielders in midfield)

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Jaysus I'm really glad ye lads aren't involved in selecting the team for the next few years! It's amazing how a few years of hoofers like Duffy and Keogh at centre back is raising the stock of CBs who can pass the ball around.

Republic of Ireland Men's Under-17 Squad

Goalkeepers: Joe Collins (Bray Wanderers), Jason Healy (Waterford)

Defenders: Daniel Babb (UCD), Jake Grante (Crystal Palace), Sean Mackey (St. Patrick’s Athletic), Adam O’Halloran (Galway United), Cory O’Sullivan (Shamrock Rovers)

Midfielders: Romeo Akachukwu (Waterford), Anthony Dodd (St. Patrick’s Athletic), Luke Kehir (St. Patrick’s Athletic),Danny McGrath (Bohemians), Gabriel Gartside-Kelly (Manchester City), John O’Sullivan (Shamrock Rovers), Freddie Turley (Shamrock Rovers)

Forwards: Trent Kone-Doherty (Liverpool), Mason Melia (St. Patrick’s Athletic), Nickson Okosun (Bohemians), Ike Orazi (Shamrock Rovers), Naj Razi (Shamrock Rovers), Shaun Wade (Chelsea)

Republic of Ireland Men’s Under-17s Fixtures 

Wednesday, September 21 | The Netherlands MU17 v Republic of Ireland MU17, Kranenhof, Velp, The Netherlands, KO 6pm (Irish time)

Friday, September 23 | The Netherlands MU17 v Republic of Ireland MU17, Kranenhof, Velp, The Netherlands, KO 6pm (Irish time)

This is the big debate. I think playing a back 3 that 2 of them with the ability to knock the ball 5 meters into a DM should be enough. There is nothing wrong with a retaining a scoring threat like big Duffy. Nothing.

I'm all for evolving the way in which we approach games and implementing a new style. I do think though we have to start seeing a consistent end result. Getting 60 passes in but not crossing the halfway line is tiresome and frustrating for everyone involved. There is nothing wrong with going route one now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭BobDole22

Unbelievable from Kenny not to have Manning in the team let alone the squad! He should be our starting LWB.

Possibly there is a reason?

Thought he looked decent when he was playing for us but SK usually has good reasons for leaving someone out. Hopefully one of the journalists asks him

• Advertisement

Norway at home, possibly Wednesday the 16th of November and Malta away on the Saturday are the likely games we'll be playing. Though they're probably waiting until the draw for Euro 2024 in case we draw Norway before possibly finalizing anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement