Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A global recession is on the horizon - please read OP for mod warning

Options

Comments

Oh ! No ! Sanctions doesn't work ! Rubbles getting stronger and inflation lower !

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Could you put chickens in an SUV when you can't afford to put petrol in it or insure it ?

I dunno, must have walked past several 2020+ Teslas today. Maybe singletons with good jobs in FAANG

Probably all experts in something useful like Facebook video censorship.

Very soon we will buy them 6 months old Tesla for half price because they "are emigrating" and Can't afford pay electricity bill ! When before they was calling us Putinbots and telling us that recession will Never come because this Time are " Different".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭brickster69

Put it one way every year the German economy directly gained 2 trillion Euro from 20 billion spent on very cheap Russian gas. If they have to buy at 2 times the price the economy loses one trillion Euro.

Now they are paying 3 times the price at least and looks like that will continue for a while longer.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

A family member of mine bought a new one last year. 2 incomes approx 120k between them. Traded it in last week for a 1.1 litre.

I was 32 of age in 2008 and I couldn't understand why I lose my job and can't find another one.Only in 2011 I found that it was recession in 2008.

Since that day in 2011 I started read massive amount of information and this time I am fully understand the bs of the system.

Unfortunately some people same as me in 2008 doesn't understand what is going on but as far I see they aren't majority this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Next-up on Revolution 1917's recession signal tour: Airfryers for sale in Louth on Donedeal.ie

I agree. I was a bit younger than 32 when the recession hit in 2008. But only properly recovering from it the last 2 years or so (career wise, income level etc). Scary to be facing the same again. I think this one will be worse, not necessarily housing wise but I can see most hospitatly sectors taking the brunt, decrease in Tech related and large emigration numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

Revolution 1907 why hasnt sunflower oil increased very much in price, despite the worlds biggest producer in a war. We were told it would most likely be off the supermarket shelves by July, however, theres loads of supply. I dont quite understand, sardines in olive oil has increased, tuna in olive oil has increased, fast foods prices have increased massively even bag of taytoes have shot up in price, yet a one litre bottle only increased by 10 cents in the supermarkets.

Tis hard to fathom it.

• Advertisement

I also remember hearing something months ago about cooking oil becoming scarce.

You know why this time recession will be 2-3 times worst ? Because media spreading more information and the the more it spreading the worst recession will be.System killing it's self ! Today internet has more influence than any TV or radio.All those BBCs or RTEs are useless together with Indo or Telegraph.I don't watch TV at all and listen only podcasts by my own interest.

The main problem of today brainwashing that oldies which was successfully washing people brains during war in Vietnam thinking that this will work the same this time.This doesn't work anymore because access to various information are a lot bigger then during Vietnam war times.

I was saving money since 2011 preparing for another recession and they think that I will spend them now ? They need start think again !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What you are laughing about?

I buy my heating oil on the North and in 2021 I filled my 1000 ltrs tank for 250 euros paying 25 cents per ltr.

In 2022 I will pay 1000 euros or 1 euro per ltr ( 1.10 price at the moment but price of oil falling)

That will make me pay 1250 for 2000 ltrs or around 61 cent per ltr when I paid at average 65 cents per ltr before all mess started.You know how much I paid for heating oil during 2008 recession? 57 cents per ltr.

Diesel price 1.92 in our county,during lockdown I paid 1 euro per ltr or 1.45 at average in last 3 years when price was 1.35 per ltr.

Guys, as far I see I not losing any money at average price in last 3 years.

Gold price on the market in May was 1928 bucks.You know how much gold worth today ? 1670 or 250 bucks less.

What inflation you are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Are you suggesting that the policies during the COVID era might have some relevance to the rapid inflation currently being seen?

The price of gold sagging is actually typically an indicator of consumer confidence in the global economy. That and the relaxation of capital controls in certain developing economies.

No Im not smart enough to come up with that.

Just poster was saying to live in a new realiy , reminded me of what people used to say during COVID.

• Advertisement

Ok, further.

My wage rise was 25 per cent per last 6 months what perfectly cover all "inflation".One Saturday overtime per month perfectly cover all "price rise".

We could read in every media report that property prices are reached Celtic Tiger prices.As far I remember we had 3.5 per cent rate from ECB in 2007.Here we are folks ! Bubbles on the property and stock markets .That why rate goes up.Other words we earning more than in 2007 and ECB rate is only 1 per cent at the moment !

But if economy goes into recession even with today rate and average of 2 years prices this mean that economy are dead ! All events happening only show that system are collapsed!

Thanks for that info. I'm not in the know in that regard always presumed it's a safe bet.

You can invest to gold as much you want but if people will not have money to invest to gold you have your gold will worth nothing.The price of your gold will rise only if people will have money to invest in it.If FED or ECB lifting rates that mean less people will have money to invest to gold you have ! As some people said Let's see how much your gold will worth when price of wheat will rising !

That is the main reason why I didn't invested to gold !

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

You might check the national media of France perhaps, Macron is working his absolute hardest but acknowledges that the time of plenty is over. Its been forecast by sitting politicians in Europe that we may face 10 years of bad winters. I encourage you to please check trusted media such as Reuters, BBC, and legitimate financial portals. It can be described without any questioning as a 'new normality', HOWEVER we must be happy to endure this multiyear transition to stand up for a great variety of things which solidify us together as on the correct path. We can all do this together.

Yeah you actually don't have a clue what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

I think I'm about the same age as our Revolutionary friend and if that's true, you'd have to be living under a rock to not understand why the economy was crashing in 2008.

I grew up in the 80's, the recession of early '93 finished the family business off, thankfully clung on to my job after the dot-com bust and then witnessed the worst of the lot in 2008. Back then it was actually scary, listening to the TV/radio there was a real fear as to whether bank savings were actually safe.

This one feels like a bump in the road that was inevitable after COVID. People continuing to work but who didn't have anywhere to spend the money put it aside, resulting in the inevitable scramble for trades work after lockdown was lifted, kickstarting inflation.

Then Vladdy boy threw a (large to be fair) spanner in the works at an inopportune moment to complicate matters. Having to change our energy habits in a hurry is always going to hurt. However, LNG storage in Europe is almost full, the price of gas is dropping fast - UK gas futures are down 82p or 21% to 304p/therm today, from a high of 706p/therm just three weeks ago. The jig is up there, I feel (I see parallels with the twin oil crises in the 70's).

We'll make it through this one, just like we did with all the others, and anyone claiming it's the end of days needs to take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror and really ask themselves what they're championing here. Sadly, when you're down the rabbit hole of paranoia it's hard to drag yourself back up.

Alot of this can completly go over my head, but I can see my self that on even just a local level its getting tight for everone . Its hard not to be a me feiner and its hard not to blame people on being one either.

Ill probably only read the BBC, when its this negative its a tough read espically when there nothing you can do. Can you blame me not to go down this rabbit hole.

Head in the sand but ingnornce is bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭brickster69

I would take what politicians are saying about the upcoming gas crisis taking with a very large pinch of salt. If for example millions of peoples lives was going to be made a lot lot worse do you think they would tell us ? You can tell panic is setting in now and at some point they are going to have to explain to people what could actually happen.

Talk of storage is total **** also, because it is not what volume is in storage it is how much can come out, how do you get it out, how do you get it from A to B safely.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

Does anyone understand the political discussions here about capping gas prices?

Some politicians are calling for a price cap. Other politicians are saying that is bad as we could only cap the price to consumers and the government would have to pay the rest. Essentially, price caps on gas are not possible, someone has to pay and governments cannot set the price that gas companies charge.

Is that all true? Or are our politicians lying?

Advertisement