Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Ok so a couple of things here.

If you make gas less attractive that means people leave the gas industry.

Now we regularly need gas to keep the lights on and we will need gas for the foreseeable as things take an absolute age to construct in Ireland.

We will also need gas as we can’t store the wind generation for when the winds not blowing as has been explained to you time and again.

Next- and this is a genuine question- how do the EU decouple gas prices from energy prices as gas is the dependable energy that is brought into the system when we have low wind and solar? Do we have 10c a unit when we have high wind output but then it shoots up to 90c a unit when gas is being burned?

If that’s the case would we not have high unit rates all the time as gas is being burnt to keep generators on spinning reserve due to the fact wind is…..well…..unreliable without viable mass storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Now if we only knew how much we are going to have to invest in renewables under this green plan, that not even greens can put a figure on, we would know how much we can invest in social services, our housing shortage etc. You know that old thing called budgeting.

I know greens believe we have been growing the wrong trees, but I didn`t realise until recently they meant money trees.

You made an incorrect statement, I corrected you with the facts. Simple

Tom: omfg why isn't ER building more gas power plants

Everyone: He is, here's the proof

Tom: omfg ER is a fool for building gas power plants

🤦‍♂️

Moving on....

Based on your concerns it sounds like a sensible policy to move away from fossil fuels so. As @xxxxxxl pointed out we should increase the speed of this move away from fossil fuels. I'd agree with that sentiment.

• Advertisement

News out today, a campaign to appoint the Chairperson and Members to the Board of the new Maritime Area Regulatory Authority (MARA) has just been launched.

The aim is to have it up and running in early 2023.

MARA will be responsible for:

• the granting of all Maritime Area Consents, or MACs, for the maritime area
    • marine licensing for specified activities
    • compliance and enforcement of MACs, licences and offshore development consents
    • administration of the Foreshore consent portfolio of the Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage

As such its a critical part of the new systems being put in place to allow for the rollout of offshore wind on a large scale.

Onwards and upwards!

You`re now going full bore down the Comical Ali road attempting to defend Ryan and that party you have no connections too or interest in.

Ryan is building gas power plants because too many conventional power plants were either shut down or downgraded based on nothing more than a wild guess that renewables would fill the gap which, because of their unreliable intermittent nature, they have failed to do.

Now Ryan is attempting to fill that gap with an unsecure fuel source that we have no storage back-up for, or no LNG terminal.

You are not setting the bar high on what it takes to look foolish.

My god, 16 inches of rain in a few hours 😳

Prime Minister Mario Draghi confirmed the death toll before heading to the town of Ostra near Ancona, one of the places worst hit when more than 400 millimetres (16 inches) of rain fell over a few hours last evening.

Mr Draghi made an explicit link between the flooding and global warming, saying: "We see it concretely in what happened today how the fight against climate change is fundamental."

Italy has been hit by severe drought this year, followed by violent end-of-summer storms, and many have drawn the link with climate change - a subject which had taken a back seat during the election campaign.

"How can you think that the fight against climate change is not the first priority?" said Enrico Letta, head of the centre-left Democratic Party.

This summer's drought, the worst in 70 years, drained the Po River, Italy's largest water reservoir.

The baking heat has in recent weeks been followed by storms, the water flooding land rendered hard as concrete.

In July, 11 people were killed when a section of Italy's biggest Alpine glacier gave way, in a disaster officials blamed on climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

How will the critical infrastructure be protected ?

• Advertisement

Imagine building houses in areas that will flood water finds its own level. Central italy is mountains. Ground being hard probably saved more lives less mudslides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭ps200306

This is going to be an unavoidably long post, so skip it if you like. But I really need to address some of the tripe being posted on here.

Akrasia: Weren't you complaining early on that the language isn't scientific because it's too 'certain'. And here you are, when the scientists qualify their findings, ignoring the conclusions and jumping straight to the uncertainty. The merchants of doubt - Basically emphasise all of the uncertainty and ignore the findings where despite the uncertainty, we can be confident that these events are linked to climate change driven by human activity.

You really do have an extraordinary myopia when it comes to your own biases, and your projections onto others. You're correct in one thing -- I am leery of so-called climate event attribution. My reticence has nothing to do with science or non-science, and certainly not to do with any rejection of the fact of climate change. (I shouldn't have to keep saying that, but you Greenies never stop with the subtle implications of climate change denial whenever you are challenged).

No, it is to do with an extraordinary volte face by the scientific community. You see, it's not many years ago that they were being irked by people complaining about cold snaps or unseasonal snow etc. in a supposedly warming world. The scientists were at great pains to point out that singular events are weather, whereas climate is based on long term averages of at least thirty years. They soon realised that this was damnably inconvenient to themselves -- if singular events of an unexpected type weren't evidence against climate change, then neither were singular events of expected types evidence for it. And this became a pressing concern because the activists among the scientific community -- of whom there are many -- needed to be able to pin the blame for singular extreme events on somebody.

As the two other posters who got in ahead of me pointed out, this was a purely political project: the activists needed to be able to hold governments to account for meeting climate targets and to sue big corporations for causing environmental damage. Read anything about "climate change attribution science", or even go Googling, and you will pretty soon realise it's all about LAWSUITS. And so they abandoned their reliance on thirty year climate averages and invented the science of "event attribution", where events could still not be definitively laid at the door of climate change but could now be said to be "more likely" because of it. And because science is nothing if not mathematical, the increased likelihood had to be assigned a numerical probability.

The media and general public don't have the slightest clue about the statistical nature of the analysis that goes into event attribution. There's nothing wrong with that per se -- statistics is a mainstay of much science but can seem arcane to the layman. However, it's interesting to note what is dished up for public consumption. Joe and Jane Public read the banner headlines: such-and-such an event is likely "linked to" climate change, "fueled by" climate change, "made worse" by climate change. If they have the temerity to ask "how likely?", "how much worse?" ... they get batted down just as you did with my post. Merely pointing out the caveats written by the scientists themselves is a cardinal sin because YOU GREENIES DON'T ACTUALLY CARE about the statistics once the link has been established.

The basic approach is this: you run a bunch of computer models that incorporate the additions of anthropogenic GHGs to the atmosphere. You run another bunch of control models that omit these additions. You check how many models produce such-and-such an event. Let's say nine out of ten models produce this event either with or without GHGs. One model produces the event only in the case of GHG additions. Ok, now the event is 10% more likely to be "linked to" climate change. Bingo! The link has been established, it's game over. Yes, of course, the scientists will include the degree of significance of the attribution in their report. But when's the last time you saw a news article that dwelled on those sorts of details? The whole point of the exercise is that the scientists can now make the attribution claim without it being a word of a lie, and media can be relied to report on that claim without mentioning (or even understanding) the nuance.

And so we have arrived at a point where every extreme event is unabashedly attributed to climate change. Every drought, every wildfire, every intense storm. Forget about the fact that 15% of the Earth's land surface has burned every year since time immemorial or that many types of weather that scientists expect to intensify as yet show no long term trend. It is no longer necessary to show that extreme events fall outside the range of natural variability. There is always still a percentage chance that they are "linked to" climate change. And if the headline can say that they are "linked to" climate change then they they are caused by climate change, at least as far as the less mathematically inclined are concerned.

This is weasel science. I do not refute it, but it is a nakedly political. Nor is it at all controversial to call that out -- it has been discussed by philosophers and ethicists (e.g. here by Wündisch in "Three Problems of Attribution for Theories of Compensation for Loss and Damage Due to Climate Change" at the 23rd Congress of the German Society for Philosophy) as well as political environmentalists (such as Lahsen and Ribot in "Politics of attributing extreme events and disasters to climate change", 2021 Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Climate Change). From the latter:

“Regardless of whether climate change is large, small, or unknown, disasters that follow extreme weather events have multiple causes. . . Analysts' choices of analytic frameworks always highlight one cause over others and are thus inherently political, whether or not they recognize this. . . At the level of policy, the tension between climate-centric framings of disasters and attributions that foreground political factors, not least poverty and socio-economic inequality, is a function of the current climate regime's focus on greenhouse gas reductions (climate mitigation) over the reduction of deeper, social causes of both the pollution and the vulnerability.”

“We view climate change as a major problem for humanity. We do not challenge, nor would we ever diminish, the important scientific effort to attribute extreme weather events to anthropogenic climate change. Explaining and reducing climate change is imperative.”

. . . [but] . . .

“Climate-centric disaster framing is politically useful to actors with interest in diverting attention from local, national and international policy initiatives that might bring—or could have brought—more direct and locally relevant remedial action.”

In other words, they are talking about people like you who are only interested in event attribution because you believe it is a "smoking gun" that should force us down their particular preferred policy path. And in this I entirely reject your characterisation of so-called "merchants of doubt": the certainty of climate change simply does not make your favourite policy path the correct one, regardless of your obsession with particular "solutions".

Akrasia: And your question you'd put to affected pakistani citizen is stupid. Its not a choice between adaptation or mitigation. Adaptation is a cost of failure to mitigate climate change.

You are making a very big claim here without even realising it, so blinkered are you. HOW DO YOU KNOW IT'S NOT A CHOICE BETWEEN ADAPTATION OR MITIGATION? How do you know that mitigation is a viable option? It is quite clearly not a solely technical project. How many times have we been reminded that global warming is a global problem needing global action? Mitigation can only be achieved by bringing the rest of the world along with you, and that is a political project. And I'm sorry to have to remind you -- so far many of the most important players are not playing ball. I will come back to this aspect in my next post as this one is getting too long already.

Akrasia: Rainfall intensity has already been increased by climate change, that adaptation cost is already a reality, but climate change is continuing to get worse, and if we don't reduce global emissions, then the costs of adaptation will continue to increase. at some point those costs will be too severe and people will abandon these lands and we'll have hundreds of millions of climate refugees (and the hundred million figure you mention is a ridiculous undercount of the costs to adapt to the flooding. You're comparing the total cost for the entire world to go carbon neutral, with a 100 million adaptation cost? That's ludicrous on multiple levels.

I'm being ludicrous? You are making this up as you go along. Where did I say it would cost $100m for Pakistan to adapt to flooding? Let me repeat exactly what I said:

Me: If you asked an affected Pakistani which would he prefer: wait for the world to spend $100 trillion on climate change mitigation attempting to return Pakistan to its pre-warming level of natural variability, or spend $100 million (a million times less) on improving flood controls and other adaptive measures ... which do you think he would pick? Which would save more lives?

The world isn't going to spend $100 trillion anytime soon on climate change. Waiting for that would be foolish. And the most optimistic result even if it happened would be for Pakistan to go back to its normal cycle of weather events. Pakistan has flooded 67 times between 1947 and 2011, in other words every year and then some (source: Oxfam, see below). Every credible expert without a climate change axe to grind attributes Pakistan's flooding problems primarily to socioeconomic factors. How do I know a Pakistani would like to see $100m spent on flood prevention infrastructure? Because there were protests in Sindh province and elsewhere after the disastrous 2010 floods at the slow pace of spending already committed funds. Billions are needed, but a paltry $27m would have gone a long way for starters according to Oxfam:

Improved measures to reduce the risk of disasters occurring not only prevent avoidable deaths, damage, and distress; they also represent immense value for money. In the period 2005–2009, disasters are estimated to have cost Pakistan at least $5bn. Reconstruction after the [2010] floods is predicted to cost up to $10.9bn, almost one-quarter of the national budget. However, the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank estimate that an initial investment of just $27m by the government would greatly reduce losses from future disasters. Pakistan has allocated more than this sum to pay for National Assembly expenses in the last two years alone. This initial investment, followed by sustained allocation of resources, could include reorganising the existing parallel disaster management bodies, providing them assistance and hardware support in the 30 most vulnerable districts and longer-term flood risk mapping. (Oxfam Briefing Paper 26 July 2011, "Ready or Not: Pakistan’s resilience to disasters one year on from the floods")

Pakistan has an abysmal record of tackling its own ecological issues (cf. "How Bad Governance Exacerbated Pakistan’s Flooding"). Economic mismanagement and corruption are rife. Deforestation is a disaster. The Indus valley is the largest irrigation system in the world, but infrastructure investment by Pakistan is the lowest among the world's most populous countries, second only to Egypt. ("Pakistan Could Have Averted Its Climate Catastrophe").

Akrasia: Why don't you ask that person a different question. 'Would you prefer the rest of the world spends what it takes to reduce their emissions, or for you to be turned into a displaced climate refugee?"

It is utterly pathetic and sickening of you to raise the spectre of "hundreds of millions of climate refugees". It is merely one more tool in the armory to browbeat people with. You've got more than a tinge of the Eamon Ryan megalomania -- "join us in bankrupting Ireland's economy or hundreds of millions of Pakistanis will be coming to live with you". It's utter ballcocks. The problems of poor people can't be solved by mitigating climate change. Leftwing lunatics are calling for "climate reparations" for nations like Pakistan. Personally I doubt there's a single Pakistani who wouldn't happily increase their GHG emissions per capita by a factor of twelve to match those of Ireland, along with the associated increase in wealth.

Akrasia: Your reference to the worlds poorest people using a tiny bit of energy to cook food to survive as an excuse for the richest people in the world to not spend money reducing our carbon emissions is pretty pathetic.

You're simply incapable of getting it, aren't you? Giving those people fossil propane for cooking would save FOUR MILLION lives per year. Installing another 30 gigawatts of bird whackers in Ireland will save ZERO of those lives per year, and will also save exactly 0.0°C of global warming. All to give you and Eamon Ryan a warm fuzzy feeling about your social credentials. That's pathetic. Not to mention utterly immoral.

Post edited by ps200306 on

Now that's a tasty post hats off to that one. 🎩

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭ps200306

"All of the temperature measurements have shown warming except for the very upper atmosphere which is cooling (and this is what we would expect from an increasing greenhouse effect as less heat is radiated out to space)Akrasia"

Gee, thanks for the science lesson, professor. 😏

"an increase in greenhouses gases like carbon dioxide means more heat is lost to space — and the upper atmosphere coolsNASA"

And there is a tipping point I assume leading to the atmosphere cooling that much triggering ice growth reflecting more light then further cooling into an ice age ?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

I feel sorry for you. You still seem to think you are in a debate where reasonable assumptions are properly weighed. But the Green agenda is there to push people to renewables. Quickly, because, the end is nigh. It is an apocalyptic vision. The science is clear and settled according to them. No more questions but actions. They have the answers and the solution.Just like socialism in the 19th century but this time the elites and the media are on board. That is the real danger. The hope lies in the common people who see the results of their 'purchase' and the disaster the Green agenda brings. However, it is exactly that disaster that make the Greens double down. And yes, that is how stupid they really are. Or i should say that is how corrupt and biased they are. They will use the crisis as a weapon. They dont want the status quo but continue the Green revolution wherever it may lead to. They dont care about people, they care only about their ideology. They will ignore the corpses caused by supply chain disruption. They dont care about the third world, the developing world which has seen huge progress in the last 50 years. They dont see it that way but see it as the sin of the West spreading to the East. You know, where people lead a nice pastoral life and cut the occasional tree for firewood. Sing Kumbajah and have a very small carbon footprint. Never kill anyone from another tribe, sip fair trade coffee and nobody starves. Until the West and the White man comes and ruins it all. You know, the usual story of evil vs good. A bloody Lord of the Rings fantasy. They really believe their own propaganda.

So, dont engage with them is the best way of dealing with that. And vote them out of office if you can or at least dont vote for parties that are willing to make a deal with them which is increasingly difficult.

I wouldnt bet on Sinn Fein not making the same deal as currently FF and FG. Lets hope the Green vote tanks.

Post edited by deholleboom on

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Couple the things in my last post with increasing angst young people experience, the over hyped self awareness linked to self-hate and doubt leading to the disappearance of sex/gender borders, the inconvenience of having babies, the general malaise of the young, the keyboard warrior mentality and you've got a perfect negativity storm masquerading as a positive in the form of Green progress. It is an emotional bondage..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You never posted a link to that quote but here's the sentence immediately before your quotation

"That means little of Earth's heat makes it to the higher, thinner mesosphere. There, molecules are few and far between."

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2021/nasa-satellites-see-upper-atmosphere-cooling-contracting-climate-change

I consider this proof that you're arguing in bad faith

As for your previous post. Not once did you address the increased rainfall which is the root of the issue. And you scoff at 'hundreds of millions of climate refugees' this one flood has already created at least 40 million displaced people. From a single event.

And your 100 million figure is such a red herring. If they had spent a hundred times that since 2010 the 2022 flooding would still have covered 1/3 of Pakistan. If this was a once in a century event people can rebuild and recover. But once in a decade, that's unsustainable.

Better preparedness might have saved some of the 2k people who died directly from the floods, but many times this figure will die from disease and hunger and destitution as their livelihoods were washed away

Nope. The mesosphere is a near vacuum. Mostly Nitrogen and Oxygen which freeze well below the -90c at the very top of the mesosphere. There isn't enough matter to significantly offset the greenhouse effect in the much denser parts of the atmosphere

The 'green agenda' is to move the world off fossil fuels so we can minimise the damage caused by climate change.

You're following the Exxon agenda by doing everything you can to stand in the way. Who benefits from delaying the transition to renewables?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

So, dont engage with them is the best way of dealing with them. And vote them out of office if you can..

Yours is a fatal premise. Currently the green agenda has free reign across media, government, education, corporations and academia (funded by govt. and corporations). Anyone who rejects their agenda and calls them out is labelled with the religious epithet "denier". Rather than address the shortcomings of green policies, the activists double down and attempt to silence their critics by denying them access to any platform on which to be heard or even try and get them fired to deny them the means to earn a living.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one.

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

For most people the Green agenda is a vehicle of convenience used to advance their own agenda or standing, whether that be the dark green Malthusians, the dollar green subsidy harvesters, the various forms of socialism that wear a green cloak over their red flag or the light greens who want to virtue signal their status in society. Keep plugging away at them, follow the money trail, once it gets turned off, so will the activists enthusiasm for the cause.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Lol. Yeah keep joining up those dots. Funny how your money trail never seems to intersect with the trillions of dollars flowing into and out of the fossil fuel industry. its always the greens who are bribing everyone in crazy batshit upside down world

An incredible 16 inches of rain fell over 4 hours in Italy yesterday killing 10 people. I'm sure someone will be on to say those Italians died because the government didnt dredge the lake or some other nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Flash floods have been killing people since the dark ages. Have you a point?

For context, there's between 29-39 inches of rain around Dublin on an annual basis.

That spot in Italy got 16 inches in a few hours.

But what do you think humans can do about this?

Would that stop these events happening?

How much will it cost to stop GHG?

How many will it push into economic poverty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,296 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

we have no clue if so, but we have a pretty good idea, if we dont, we re probably fcuked as a species.....

....as above, we re pretty sure if we dont, we re fcuked, so....

....if we redirect the resources, including finances, that we re currently putting into the use of fossil fuels, there may not be any increase in poverty, in fact, we might just reduce it, by boosting economic activities related to this change over....

Advertisement