Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Megane E-Tech

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

More power but slightly slower acceleration, slightly less torque and likely a lot more wheelspin as it's FWD. Minor detail I know.

Slightly better in the looks department though.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

We get the Megane Gran Coupe that the UK don't and got petrol and diesel Fluence, in the UK where they only got the Fluence EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,077 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Battery Life 130KM/H test on the Autobahn.

Haven't watched it all yet myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Irlsh market is special in that way: In most of the Western European markets including UK not many are interested in small saloons. Fluence EV was bit of a special case as it was the only body style and built in South Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The poster I replied to suggested we'd only get whatever specs the UK were getting.

The point was that Renault give us models that aren't even sold in the UK, never mind different specs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The market in the UK isn't there for the Grand Coupe, you could get the hatchback and estate which is what the UK tends to buy. Irish people seem to love saloons that's why the Fluence and Grand Coupe ended up here. The UK and Ireland didn't get the Espace or Talisman either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

Pricing must surely be finalised/released, in the coming weeks.

I’d be expecting the same specs, as the UK’s 3 x 60kw models.

Dealer told me, they still have no idea on pricing, but expected it, very shortly, and they also were told they will have a vehicle in the showroom, before the end of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭GusGus

I was hoping for an idea of pricing in Kate July - now late September. As usual I bet there will be limited stock !

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

They will have a limited but existing quota for 2023 Q1 Jan and the rest of supply is unpredictable. I'd guess March-April-May. As fafy said, dealers are getting demos in September as well as pricing. They'll be out marketing them with test drive events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

Confirmed that test drives will be available by the end of this month - i'm booking one in just to get a feel for whats on offer.

Pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Fairly surprised they’re bothering to offer the 40 kWh models here, surely nobody would go there.

Curious to see one in real life, bit hard to judge the size of them in pics.

Some people don’t need a 60kw battery, theres all sorts of market niches out there, and competes with some of the other 40kw vehicles such as the Leaf.

Will be interesting to see what the extras are, the final - delivered to customer price.

Some details on specs here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Not to sound snobbish but surely nobody is going to pay 48K for a Renault! Especially given how bad Renault residuals have been historically

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Unfortunately, people need to recalibrate what cars cost, prices have shot up and won’t be going back down (unless the Chinese manage to flood us with cheap stuff). A properly equipped ICE Megane/Golf size car is now 40k.

Manufacturers have stopped making the base model cheap stuff and electric cars cost more again. 45k is the new normal, a lot of people are being completely priced out

I considered buying a new Golf GTI a few years ago, it was 35k. My mate’s neighbour has just bought one for around 60k. Madness.

Tell me about it the Golf R went from 50K in 2018 to 70K starting now absolute madness

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

Saw it in the flesh in Paris, very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Does sound snobbish to me. Other than rear wheel drive and slightly better boot in the id3 the Megane seems better in every aspect. I could be wrong but I think Zoe’s hold their value well.

• Advertisement

I genuinely have a soft spot for Renault certainly some of their sportier offerings, I do hope the etech is a good car, reviews etc are positive it’s just that historically a Renault has suffered huge depreciation and 3 year trade in values have been utterly insulting, I’d happily drive a renault 5 gt turbo gordini

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gorevs

Hello - any chance you could repost that info on specs please can’t read the info, file size too small

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Well at least you'll get a car made by a manufacturer that checks their output and with a decent build quality and properly put together.

I have to respectfully disagree I’m not getting into a pi$$ing contest about Tesla build quality vs the European giants they can all have issues, and if anyone uses a US cars build quality as a benchmark, it’s a very low mark, my FIL bought 2 high spec Lagunas back to back the first car was bad had multiple issues and must have been back to the dealers 7-8 times outside of servicing in 3 years. He’s obviously a masochist and there’s no talking to him but he bought a second one and that was worse. Both mechanically and electrically it was a disaster, there was water ingress to the interior and rear light clusters, the suspension failed, the ecu failed and multiple times he was left stranded as the car wouldn’t start because the immobiliser wouldn’t recognise the keys, and he took an absolute bath on it when trading it in. I’ve had issues with a new GTI and Cupra ST and my own father had his Merc CLS bought back after 6 months because it was such a lemon. And if you had read my follow up post I still actually like Renault I hope it’s a good car I just don’t think they have the historical reliability or perceived brand value to charge €48k for a car even in this mental economy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭Old diesel

To be fair they upped their game massively after Laguna 2 and Megane 2nd gen.

So 3rd Gen Megane and mk 3 Laguna were a lot better.

I actually saw a 2002 Laguna 2 this week and when I tweeted about it someone was straight in saying about the indicators coming on when you press the brakes lol.

Theres no sugar coating how much of a disaster Laguna 2 was for Renault and many of the customers that bought one...

BUT....

Just worth noting that the Laguna 2 was the first car to ever get a 5 star rating with euro ncap. And was therefore a lead player in making cars in general safer.

Far more relevant to a 2022 decision to buy a 48 k Renault or not is the fact that Renault have been doing EVs with Zoe since 2013.

I’ll leave it here as I don’t want to derail the thread any further but they were both 3rd gen Lagunas 2008 and 2011. I do admire Renault for trying at times to do things differently and sometimes succeeding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Just on cars costing 40k+ now, its the way things are. I've bought a Cupra Born for 42k after grants etc, I wasn't really in the market for an electric car but a 2018/19 5 series or A6 or even 3 series which I looked at were 40k+

5 series and A6 are in the high 60s now for new ones without adding a huge amount of options, so the whole thing has shifted upwards. I've kind of gone off the whole premium brand idea for the moment anyway, I've spent my life in them but decided electric in a more mainstream brand was a better home for my money than another diesel or phev premium car.

Renault will sell their allocations of these at 40k+, as will cupra, hyundai, kia, vw and any other brand out there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Not a bad looking car. Not a bit fan of the higher driving position, but it doesn't seem like it's a true crossover. If I'm not mistaken it's a bit shorter than the ID.3 so not as much room in the back seat but I believe it still has a good size boot.

Reposting some images here of spec etc. The Renault website doesn't have this information yet. Read feom bottom image up. The integration of android OS and Google is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You might have to go back into two decades previously to get to the reality of issues with the brand.

Advertisement