Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn seeding rate

Options
  • 17-09-2022 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Just had local farmer harrow and set my new lawn today, hes experienced at sowing farming land for locals. Got 3 20kg bags of germinal lawn seed for him. He only used 1.5 bags so 30kg to cover acre site, 242sq m taken out for house. Reading online it says like 35g per sq m. The woman at the garden shop thought 40kg but online it says up tp 160kg per acre online, have i underseeded or am i worrying about nothing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Used to use a mean 1oz to the square yard which google tells me is 34g per sq m which is about 141kg to the acre, doubt we ever used much more than half and ounce. However never ever put anything like 141kg to the acre on any site we did. Small areas would have been done at the higher rate but large areas never got anything like the full amount.

The main thing is coverage. If the seed went down with a good spread then I think you will be fine and I suspect a farmer who has done this before would have got a good coverage with the seed.

Is this what you used https://germinal.ie/product/leisure-lawn/ ?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It depends on how many pigeons you are feeding. Our resident pair are nearly big enough to make a pie each at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Yep thats the one. I just dont know what way its meant to look, how dense, he had power harrow so will be distributed easily anyway, i rolled it in with quad and concrete roller then.

Well you shouldn't be loosing much to birds and harrowed and rolled you won't have seed germinate on the surface and dry out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭newhouse87

presuming im looking for bit of rain soon though? looking at that site they reckon 6 bags per acre, iv drastically under seeded if that's accurate. Time will tell.

Post edited by newhouse87 on

• Advertisement

Yeah you have under seeded but as I say if the seed has gone down evenly then you'll be fine. It may look sparse to start with but if the soil has been well cultivated then I suspect it will end up more even than a lot of the new lawns there are question about here. If it was harrowed and rolled then that will probably reduce the need for water for a while. Thats assuming the soil was moist when it was seeded.

Advertisement