Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10kWh LifePO4 DIY Battery Addition..... Here is my write up.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

Thanks, that’s what I was trying to work out, I wasn’t sure if a grid tied system would be worth it without solar as most info online assumes that setup.

I was thinking of timing the charge at night. The battery would live in the utility room next to the main appliances so not too difficult to manage.

The 2kw pure sine inverters I was looking at on Ali Express we’re around €200 but maybe not up to the job.

I have a A+++ heat pump dryer which barely pulls 1kw but it runs most days during winter, same for washer which is also A+++

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Your €200 "pure sine" 2kW inverter would be toast within 10 minutes, possibly taking your €500 dryer with it 😂

If you want to play with off-grid systems, start cheap and small. You'll learn. And you will definitely learn that what you plan to do on a daily basis, doesn't work with an off grid system. Unless you spend a lot of money on it. Far more money than a similar grid tie system that can do the same...

Fair enough, looks like a lot of the videos on YouTube we’re too good to be true!

Starting small is definitely a good plan, I’ll probably try a small 2-3 panel solar setup on the shed roof and play around with that to learn how it works.

If VW enable vehicle to home for my ID3 then I’ll look into that too

Post edited by electricus on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just turn on the washer/dryer at night …

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

We do as much as possible but I don’t get up early enough to fill the dryer after the wash - planning an over complex battery solution seems easier 😂

• Advertisement

Put washing machine on at midnight (or put it on a timer if you require more than 7 hours sleep), go to bed, get up at 7 and put dryer on. Simples.

If you don't want to get up at 7, implement a home power wall solution like the rest of us 😁

Does your system work during power cuts or is that an option?

Most hybrid / AC side power wall systems work during a power cut as they have EPS outputs. You can wire a socket to them or even a fancy transfer switch

Dublin Fire Brigade sez no to the first bit of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

This one comes up all the time. Statistically more chance of your fridge catching fire, but yet people are worried about washing machines being the death of them and murdering them in their sleep. LOL

Do you plug out your fridge?

• Advertisement

Joking aside, I’d get a solar install with a hybrid inverter and add my own battery later - like most here. The problem is that I only have room for 4 panels on my roof so not enough to qualify for the grant.

Power wall type system are hard to find at a less than eye watering price (including install without solar+grant) right now and I’m guessing that most electricians wouldn’t be happy about grid connecting a diy battery.

That’s what got me thinking about a diy battery without grid connection. I have a good understanding of the concepts and how it all works but very little practical experience of which hardware combinations works best - especially BMS and inverters as the spec sheets for a lot of the gear on Ali Express can’t be trusted.

I looked at all in one battery packs but it looks like most affordable 2kWh packs don’t use LiFePo4 cells, which are the only type (of large battery) that I’d trust in my house.

I agree with you that my solution is not really practical for my uses and thanks for your answers, that’s what I was looking for.

By the way, what is it about the 200-300 euro inverters, like the ones on Ali Express, that makes them bad? It it there ability to handle inductive load or peak power demand?

Post edited by electricus on

Can it switch to battery and isolate the mains supply automatically or is it a manual switch?

Older hot tumble dryers too with clogged up fluff filters and dodgy charging plugs with damaged or poor quality cables are even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Punchin A Keyboard

Apparently the ID V2H enablement was meant to be done by an OTA this year. However I assume a very expensive invertor will be required but i am assuming up to 22kw DC coming out of the car.

It was reported last year but haven’t heard anything since - VW’s software quality and update schedule hasn’t been great. I also wonder about V2H standards and if the expensive bidirectional wall box will work with other EVs

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Punchin A Keyboard

I think the ccs quaser 2 has not been released yet but then there's no vehicles that officially could use it.

I believe that a standard is in progress for ccs to do bidirectional but like all official standards is taking time so I would guess slot of vehicle producer's and charger manufacturers are sitting till that is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭dathi

would something like this be suitable to install inverter and batteries outside ?

All very true, but this is the same with any electrical device even during the day where you turn it on and the go watch TV in another room. Electrical devices should be well maintained, have good cables, no gunk on the contact on the plugs, etc. The point that I'm making is that the risk of one of these devices today is very small.....but non-zero.

it's the non-zero element which is the interesting bit to me as people have no issues with their fridge plugged in but statistically it's more likely to catch fire than the dish washer. I find it curious that the dish washer is a fire hazard in peoples mind, but fridges are not and as such they don't plug out the fridge. If it was a real risk, then logically they should plug out the fridge also. No?

Everyone to their own of course, but the idea that dish washers/washing machines are dodgy and shouldn't be used at nighttime is a throwback to yesteryear I think, but naturally you need to do what you think is right for you and gives you peace of mind as that also is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭DC999

@electricus, quick side note. It's defo worth your while seeing if you can really only fit 4 panels. A small shed likely fits that. We got 16 (1m wide x 1.7m high) onto a small '2 up, 2 down' house. Includes 5 of them on an extension flat roof. So I would guess it's not space that is the issue.

Maybe you already said you have other older panels or solar thermal on the roof. Or one roof is pure North (and even then it's a possible runner for a cheap DIY setup down the line). We have a few on a NW roof output is and grand up to this time if the year. Others told me that's crap in Winter but working find to this point.

Take some pics on the roof maybe and pop into into the quotes thread asking for suggestions. Some shade can be worked around with optimisers. We had vent pipes causing shade so cut them down a little in height and no more shade.

I'm not the one advising against this. It's Dublin Fire Brigade. If you don't like their advice let them know.

Where's your source for your "statistically more chance" observation?

This lot say that their numbers come from the UK Home Office. Fridges are 5th on the list, behind dishwashers, cookers, tumble dryers and at the top of the list, washing machines.

Which domestic appliances are most likely to catch fire? – Housewares (housewareslive.net)

The same stats featured in several news reports after the Grenfell tower block fire. LOL indeed.

• Advertisement

As I said, everyone to their own and if it gives you peace of mind, that's important too and I'm not having a go at you or Dublin fire brigade for that matter. In the interest of a balanced thread, here is the Dublin fire brigade warning.

Dublin Fire Brigade shares fire warning about household appliances as they highlight common mistake - Irish Mirror Online

However, I was mentioning above specifically "dish washers", and to your point about "where is your statistically more chance"...here you go.

Faulty appliances cause 43 fires a week in England, research finds (electricalcontractingnews.com)

Fridge/freezers comes in at #8 and dish washers #7 in terms of occurrences of fire, at least in 2019. However, it shouldn't be forgotten that this is a country with 60 million people. <500 fires is a small number when you are talking about potentially millions of units, and many of those units were probably poorly maintained etc. That's not to say that it's "ok", every fire could potentially be the loss of life, only that it's a small number.

but we're going a little off topic in relation to the 10Kwhr Battery addon - but yeah, always interesting to me that people won't use devices when others in the house are left on ok.

Thanks. I can see where your numbers come from, and it's interesting to see how figures produced by different sources can have different results.

In fairness, I wouldn't have seen it as having a go without the LOL. It's a serious matter when it goes wrong, and it remains the case that the Dublin Fire Brigade recommend unplugging all unnecessary electrical appliances at night - which means any advice here to run appliances at night is in contradiction of their advice.

And as regards the DFB advice, because of the food contamination risk people can't regard their fridge/freezer as an unnecessary electrical appliance.

But, as we agree, let's not get off-topic. I'm intrigued by the thread because I'm thinking about installing solar but a battery add-on looks very expensive and it's not clear what I'd get for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭imogen

I have two questions, the first is probably for @championc .

Roughly what physical space do your 2 x 5 kwh of batteries take up once assembled and insulated?

We are trying to figure where to put them in the house/outhouses.

The second is a bigger issue but related to the efficiency AC/DC points above.

After much thought, as we have a field with a good southerly aspect, we are thinking of a ground mount, even though they are more expensive. But the best position is nearly 120m from the house. I know that most inverters these days come with standard weatherproofing and can be installed outside. And that it's more efficient to transport AC versus DC over longer distances. But then what do you do with the batteries which need to be near or in the house?

Or is the practical answer no, if you want to have a hybrid inverter and batteries, you can't put the panels down the field?

Can you put the batteries in a cabinet under the solar panels down the field? We are coastal, I'd be worried about corrosion as we get sea gales and everything rusts here.

I know the term micro inverter tends to be confused with optimisers like Tigos, but maybe they have a role for this scenario?

Thanks! And yes, I know, we probably would have to get planning permission to put them in a field...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

With the right cabling, you can do anything really.

My panels are about 60m (on 6mm2 swa) away from the inverter, and that is 100m away from the main consumer unit (but I do have 16,mm2 cable going to the barn)

With the power levels we are dealing with, it doesn't really matter if it's ac or DC (regarding solar pv, because thats high voltage dc, not low voltage batteries)

Batteries need to be beside the inverter that they are connected to. Be it a storage inverter or a hybrid.

Also you'd want to be keeping the batteries warmish - they don't like freezing temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mrohare

I have received 8 of my cells so far (others stuck in post) from OYE. I topped them up to 3.67v with bench power supply. It dropped to 0.05a for few hours so believe they are near enough 100%, but when I capacity test them, the result is 135ah. Am I doing something wrong or could I have a bad capacity tester (DL24P)? Or should I be opening a dispute?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭munsterfan2

I'd open a dispute on aliexpress before your time runs out, my cells were similar and are now offline totally so unless I get a chargeback from credit card it's sunk money. If you need a second capacity tester I can give you a loan of mine.

Thanks @munsterfan2, I am in Co. Down so guessing you are not close. I thought I might be doing something wrong. Low voltage cut off is 2.6, though cells are 3v at end of test, but 2.6 under load. I was testing at 20 amps. Maybe should be at 10 amps?

Dispute is looking like way to go thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭munsterfan2

I'm not too far away, near Slane, up in Portadown on Friday to get leaf bms firmware updated. 20 amps is only .1C so should be no issue for cells. Did you save / graph the readouts from the discharge test. Try https://github.com/misdoro/Electronic_load_px100 if needed

I think issue might have been with the cables I was using. The voltages on the tester were not matching my multimeter. I have crimped up 2 sets of very short wires. Used speaker wire for voltage pins and 2.5mm for amp pins. Voltage on tester is reading much closer now to both multimeters, though test only running for 30mins. I will be keeping a close eye. I had crimped 2 sets of 2.5 together before and cables were 50cm long. Will let you know how this test goes.

• Advertisement

So it appears OYE store is trying to rip me off. I put ammeter in circuit and used 2 different multimeters for voltage. My capacity tester is measuring accurately. OYE have sent me 150ah cells and not the 200ah I paid for. I have now seen a few 1 star reviews on aliexpress claiming the same thing, dated August and September.

Advertisement