Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cupra Born

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Yeah let's go we'll see if they'll give us the keys.

I've never had to wait for a car before I'm the most impulsive irresponsible car buyer you'll ever meet I usually just spot a used car I like and buy it on the spot, worry about getting rid of old one afterwards.

Bought last car the Audi A6 4 hours after deciding I wanted a change in Christmas week!

To be honest I bought the Born on a whim too, apart from testing an id3 about 18 months ago I didn't look at anything else. There could be plenty better out there but I'm happy with my choice. So the wait is unusual for me, at least my old car is gone already!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Izzy77

There just seems to a mountain of SUV EVs out there, which I personally am not interested in - the size and design of this is perfect (apart from the 18s I'm having such a problem with!!) the ID3 didn't interest me at all. It's all about looks - im very superficial! plus I love that there aren't too many out there....yet. wonder is there a contact number for the ships captain..there might be an aurora blue one there with nice 19s he could redirect...

I've never owned an SUV and dont particularly want to. My father just got an etron 55, it's gorgeous I've driven it a good bit but he's just retired after a hard life working and it was a present to himself and it was twice the price of the Born. Something about the Born just grabbed me, and I went for it. The 18s don't look bad there, the others are nicer but only really when you look at them both together can you feel any disappointment....but in reality you won't be looking at them all together. 18 is big enough and give a slight bit more comfort and tiny bit extra range you might be glad of some day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Tried to find a quiet spot for a photo but someone parked up next to me so I didn't have time to get any other angles :(

So far everyone has been very impressed with the fit and finish and the space inside.

It's fab! I know I said I wasn't a fan of vapour grey but it looks great here. Good luck to you in it. The copper accents are really lovely.

• Advertisement

Ah thank you for taking the time to add the picture. You're totally right - I won't see them when I'm driving and I think they are probably better on an EV. I had an Ateca and I really didn't like it. Far too sensible for me!! I changed it after a year. I never looked at it and thought its fab as ridiculous as it sounds. The boat is in!

Yeah the vapor grey is nice, the last few pics gone up of the cars delivered all look well, the grey and the white. Just good looking car I suppose it looks well in most colours.

Blue, red, white, vapor grey all impressive in my opinion. I prefer them all to the quasar grey in the demo we drove

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dubsphan

Better not put up any photos of mine in Qasar Grey when I get it so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Saw your motor in the flesh at the dealership beautiful looking car, talking to them they will get 15 Borns total this year but should be able to get 70-80 during 2023 and no limitation on ordering 77s

Ah do, just a bit dark for me but I'm coming from a black car which I swear I'll never buy again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

I'm finding the app pretty frustrating. It's hit or miss whether or not I can connect to the car. Can't get the air con system to start remotely, although the charging status seems to work ok.

Was away in a hire car all week, what a pleasure to sit into my Born last night and glide down the road again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Thats disappointing to hear , should be getting mine very soon , hopefully these things can be sorted handy enough

I've had no issue connecting to the car at the moment just to see battery percentage but haven't needed to to actually do anything with it just yet. I probably won't bother with timed charging or anything just preheating on demand before going to work.

I'm getting around 15kWh/100km at the moment and that's with putting the foot down a good bit and also on the 20" wheels, that's approx 386km a charge. So far covered 251km with a range of 115km so around 366km range on the current charge. The smart regen works really well, it doesn't pick up the odd junction/roundabout but for the most part it's spot on and brakes appropriately at higher speeds approaching a roundabout on an 80kph road for example.

Another small downside of the Born is the rear headroom is slightly less than what I've had in the Golf. In fairness I'm 6'4" but have to slump down a little bit due to the slightly sloping roof. Not a big issue as I think my tallest friends are a bit shorter than me and it's usually shorter people sitting in the back. There seems to be a little bit less headroom for the driver and the top of the windscreen is just above my line of sight but no issue with visibility. Still plenty of leg room and plenty of space around the sides.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

Great review thank you - Can I ask what the ambient lighting inside is like?

It's basic but a nice touch. I'll get a picture this evening as there isn't many night time shots of the car.

The armrests and centre console storage can be customised with some preset colours (unfortunately you can't tweak your own) and the footwell is lit up white. You can adjust the brightness for all 3 zones individually and the armrest can be a different colour to the storage one. The storage one could be a tad brighter but the ceiling lights are SUPER bright so if you're parked and need to find something that should be fine.

The puddle light outside is the Cupra logo which is cool but less functional than a normal spot light but from what I remember as the interior lights are so bright they will let light out of the car if your doors are open so you shouldn't step into a puddle. The front exterior door handles are also lit up.

Great thanks a million. I'm coming from the fab wraparound lighting on the Leon so will miss that nice touch. Hopefully the standard model will actually have the ambient lighting and door handle lighting now that I think of it!

Theres a few Born in McCoys waiting to be registered, a white and a quasar grey. Just driving past and took a look in. May have been more but just saw those 2

Didn't see either of ours there Izzy

And they were on standard 18s and look fine

I've still heard nothing back Buddybubs. Found this page online of one on sale in UK with quasar grey on 18s cyclones and Its really grown on me. I refer to it whenever I have moments of doubt 🤣!! I'd be driving by most days if I lived near it - You'll have to keep it under surveillance!

• Advertisement

I drive past it most days so I'll drop in and see if either of them are in

Some inside photos to give you an idea of ambient lighting (the pink dots on the screen are just the sensors for the touch controls, unfortunately they aren't lit up!)

That's brilliant thank you! They're lovely.. you'll get used to the sensors/touch controls after a while. I'm surprised VW group have to sorted this out by putting a simple back light on the controls. There's been enough negativity over them Appreciate the photos of the lights in real life. Hope you are enjoying the car!

What documentation will I need to get the car registered in my name? I havent bought a new car before

Will I need a photo ID and proof of address or is it like buying a used car you just sign the form and off you go?

I went through finance so might be different for anyone just doing trade-in only but for finance I needed my license, proof of address and something with my PPS number on it (payslip) and for the salesperson I just gave them the log book, NCT, service history and keys.

Very quick process in fairness and that included taxing it there (a requirement for the grant) and setting up the app on the phone and the car as the salesperson needs to see it connecting successfully to activate it on their system. Best not to create an account or anything beforehand just in case as people had problems connecting.

Thanks Davey, I have arranged my own finance through the guys we use for financing work vans, worked out a bit cheaper so all the documentation will go to them, I am familiar with thnking requirements alright.

So I don't need any of these for the registering of the car?

The dealer will do everything in terms of registration, probably best to bring some documents as proof of address anyway just so they can verify your address for the log book. My log book and tax arrived very quickly. Sure when the car arrives you can ask them when they call just to double check so there's no issues on the day.

Currently living in kildare but own a property that we will be moving back into over next 6 months in Dublin, my sister currently lives in it while waiting for her house to be ready so just have option of Dublin reg plates or kildare, no big deal really but might prefer the Dublin one. I have bills in my name in both.

For a new car you don't need any proof of any addresses. The dealer will register the car to whatever address you give them before you even arrive, and you can correct it when taxing the car for the first time on motortax.ie - a handy way to get a D reg if you don't have an address there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Hi just wondering from the lads here who collected there cars ,was there any trouble changing over there car insurance ? I looked on a few car insurance sites and the cupra born is not on there list ?

Advertisement