Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Elizabeth II dies

Options

Comments

You were “thinking” it- and I too was “thinking” it- it was so obvious considering the outburst the other day at the funeral procession that this would happen- but the security, whilst I appreciate was muted to try and instil a level of respect and reverence and trust with the public, it was still inevitable-you can’t have 400k + people pass through the hall without at least one of these incidents happening in 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

i heard the coffin was surrounded by four candles...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi_6SaqVQSw

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think given the sheer numbers involved (heading towards a million people filing through in the space of five days), there was always the distinct possibility that some randomer might try and hijack the occasion by staging a protest or some other stunt.

It has certainly been a unique event in a unique setting. A five day lying in state with people paying their respects 24/7 and the whole thing streamed live is something we've never seen the likes of.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Sounds like the person was in the queue for the full duration, that's some dedication for something that you are obviously going to fail at and might get shot if you happened to have made it to the hall at the time Charles was in attendance.

Impressed by the soldiers who still didn't move regardless of what was going on around them, and they left it to the police. That is also some dedication to resist the instinct to react when someone charges at you. They never moved when one of them fainted either, just left it to the police, who were again there in seconds and he'd barely touched the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

do we know if he was a fanatic who just wanted to touch the coffin of his dead Queen, or a fanatic of a different kind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I had a look at the live feed on YouTube last night of the people walking past the Queen’s coffin. One thing struck me, the U.K. doesn’t seem a racist, divided nation as portrayed by a lot of liberal media outlets. There are all walks of life going through, all faiths, all religions, people with disabilities, all ages. It’s nice to see. Social media has a lot to answer for in the way it promotes division and hate and one ‘favourable’ agenda only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭secman

Yeah the queueing, that was truly representative of UK citizens , no racism at all.. . Statistical unsound sample to base your conclusion on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Amen to this. being English and housebound here I have the BBC live feed on all day now. Just ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

that's quick for the UK. took over two weeks to get my dad buried. usually nearer three. none of this irish 3 days stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The mere presence of people from different backgrounds is not an indicator as to whether racism exists or not. Racism didn't end with segregation.

Division and hate is also fuelled by traditionsl media. It is no way purely the fault of social media.

Is your post deliberately simplistic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Britain being racist gets lots of mileage on here and on social media.

The Tory leadership and this event just shows how diverse Britain is and how largely successful the diversity is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭yagan

I think the only thing that the Tory leadership shows is that the ruling class uses racism when needed. Anti EU racism to fuel brexit when tax transparency threatened their London money laundering operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I think they may have shot themselves in the foot with the excessive and lengthy coverage, less positive comments and stories of the royals and the empire are starting sleep out as the media seek to string it on.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Eh..

Did you think they were going to stop people from different backgrounds from being in the Q or something?

I mean ye could look at the Q in Morrisons on a busy day in an English city and deduct the same outlook.

The most ironic thing is now there are complaints that certain people are allowed skip the Q and it shouldn’t be allowed because we are all equal… in a 24hr q to look at coffin of someone’s who’s very life symbolises the very fact eh.. no we are not all equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

From any bits of the stream I've seen, I would tend to partially agree with the above. There does appear to be a good mix of ethnicities, which likely reflects the high esteem the Queen was held in by all communities. I don't agree that all ages are there though - the young adult cohort is much smaller than the others imo.

Watching it is somewhat surreal though. The weeping and theatrical curtsying from members of the public feels completely alien to me.

As for the numbers attending, one can't but be impressed. Events like this can take on a momentum of their own however especially when billed as "witnessing history".

I see the media are trotting out the usual old tropes of stoicism and "best of British" as expected. I suppose after 8 days they have little else to go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

My neighbour's first cousin's aunt died at 2pm and was cremated at 2.30pm the same day.

She died in a house fire.

Well obviously. A big chunk of Britain isn't bothered about the monarchy. Perhaps a quarter of the population. That's a lot of people.

The sheer volume of people queuing for hours and hours to see her coffin suggests the Brits loved their queen.

The curtsying is like something from mass when you see middle aged and older people still engaging in the kneeling and hand movements.

Trust Irish people to notice the spread of ethnicities in the crowd. I don't know what rock Irish people have been living under the last 70 years but Britain is a multi cultural country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I lived in one of the most liberal state in the US for a good few years, Massachusetts.

I also spent a good deal of time working the UK

So I'd be pretty familiar with both

There is stuff you would see in UK that you'd never see in Massachusetts.

Like mixed race couples, mix race friends, people of different ethnicity in the same bar or restaurant, people of different ethnicity living in the same street or neighborhoods.

Anecdotal I know but I've always had the impression that the UK is far more integrated than even the most liberal US states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's comment worthy because it's wouldn't be unreasonable to believe that the monarchy wouldn't enjoy support from communities that were once at the pointy end of British imperialism. It could point to the divide in the UK not being as severe as we are led to believe.

It could also mean that the Queen was an unusually unifying figure, that now once departed, represents one less thread holding it all together.

Well this is why the comparison with Britain and America is just incorrect in so many ways.

Brexit = Trump = Racism = Brexit = Bad. This kind of stuff. They seem to be stuck in a loop about it and can't get out of it.

We all know that the divide isn't as big as made out in the Guardian or twitter. Any of us with a bit of common sense can see that.

The UK is a modern civilised country with problems like all the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It could also mean that the Queen was an unusually unifying figure, that now once departed, represents one less thread holding it all together.

I do think that will be the case.

In recent years the voices of native people's of former colonies is getting much louder in the west.

These voices were always lound in their home countries but never got much traction in the west.

But with the pulling down of statues and greater debate about the slave trade things are changing.

The royals tour of the Caribbean recently was a fine example of this.

The queen because of her age, length of reign, and overall personality have prevented much upheaval in the Commonwealth realms, but that's probably at an end now.

And no bad harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

😔😔

• Registered Users Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Begs the question of why the soldiers are there. A dressed up manniquin would suffice

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Tradition. Some lad stood still beside a monarch a few centuries ago and many have suffered since (I'm sure there is an actual rational explanation).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Tis a strange spectacle watching people respectfully and silently file past her coffin, after having queued for many many hours, they simply stand or nod or curtsey/bow. A fleeting few seconds. In their hundreds of thousands. I would imagine any emotion at this point is exacerbated by sheer exhaustion.

Bizarre as it may appear to many, you can’t take away from their commitment and dedication to their gesture. Maybe the closest many people get to a pilgrimage of sorts. They all seem to be getting something from it.

I find it quite moving to observe. She was clearly admired and loved by many many people. We’ll not see the likes of this again in our lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭StevenToast

So it seems RTE are providing round the clock coverage for this funeral on Monday....

What an absolute disgrace of an organisation, wasting more taxpayers money......I know a lot of people dont pay the licence fee already, but this sort of carry on should increase non-compliance........RTE have a london correspondent......use him and give a 5- 10 minute highlight reel on the evening news....that is sufficient.....

If the westbrits here want to watch the funeral EVERY single brit channel will cover it for them...ad nauseum...

RTE sicken me to my core....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Advertisement