Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings - [Amazon] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

The tempset in me scene. Wtf! Its really starting to feel like a billion dollar CW show now.

On Galadriel , is she even meant to be likable. The writers said she's full of piss and vinegar. Since when are pissy vinegar types likable.

Clark is just reading the lines and taking direction so its not her fault. The show runners are amateurs who know nothing about Tolkien or just don't care. Amazon can hire better talent to run this show. How they got the job in the first place is a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It's when they stab him and he stumbles into the castle and dies. He looked like a giant anaemic bat, which is what I get from these Orcs....which would make sense given they can't handle sunlight. It's all prosthetics and quite impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Awful bang of Monty Python of that whole scene, down to the "Drinks all round" at the end.

This guy is emerging as one of the most incisive commentators on the series

Galadriel continues to act like an impatient, petulant human teenager...Last week Elendil compared her to his kids, now another human is comparing her to a horse. One of the oldest, wisest and most powerful elves in all of Middle-earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

4th episode was probably a slight improvement, I put that mainly down to the lack of hobbits. Their scenes ruined any immersion and really started to grate in the previous episodes.

Unfortunately though, there weren't too many other positives. The forced romance between the elf and woman was back. I don't know whether it's the acting or the dialogue, it just doesn't feel genuine.

The boy not being spotted while limping out in the open through the orc infested village. Outrunning the orcs in the forest. Really?

Elrond teleporting to Moria, back home again, and then back to Moria, while seemingly only days have passed in the other plots?

There are just too many scenes throughout the episodes where its difficult to suspend my disbelief and where it just doesn't feel authentic.

If this wasn't LOTR I'd have given up on it by now, but with each episode there's a glimmer of hope that it'll finally come good but that's looking less and less likely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I actually didn’t finish last night’s episode. I don’t know if I will. There’s too much good TV to invest my time in it.

I had very low hopes for the series and it isn’t meeting them:

Galadriel was the worst part, but now the Numenoreans are. They’ve turned a race of 7 foot Vikings, who were the peak of human existence into a bunch of short squabbling idiots. These were the men who were so impressive that Sauron surrendered without a fight?

The dark elf with the orcs: just **** off.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭liamtech

i agree completely - i have stated previously that the existence of such a blade is contrary to canon - but i just dont think they care tbh

it is clearly a Morgul blade imho - perhaps for the sake of canon they will make it an ancestor of the blades from the third age

TBH i think it more likely that we are witnessing a sign of things to come with this show. They have the rights to certain things (morgul blades for example) and they are just gonna jam these things in.

• Morgul Blade (despite the fact it shouldnt exist yet)
    • A wizard (despite there being no wizards in the second age)

Im gonna call it now

• At some point, beacons will be lit -
    • there will be a battle at that elf tower which will be OH SO SIMILAR to helms deep

This is truely a frankensteinian show, with bits of Tolkien adjacent material, jammed uncomfortably together - in the hopes we will lap it up -

considering what they COULD have done (see the ACTUAL STORY OF THE SECOND AGE BELOW) - this really is a shambles -

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

An aspiring writer points out some flaws with some particular scenes in the first 3 episodes to demonstrate how the people involved are just doing it by the numbers. its interesting enough for a 12min video.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Pleased to read I wasn't the only one that gave up half way though. Last week I thought it had improved a bit and was hoping for better this week. I keep trying to like it but when you don't like the characters and think they cast the wrong actors it isn't easy.

Wake me up when it's all over.

i agree with his points - i saw his vid earlier and was tempted to post it here - he makes decent points - fair play for posting :)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's epic enough for me to keep watching so far, I like the little connections that I can make as a very casual fan (isildur, isnt he such and such ancestor, khazad dum, isnt that where such and such happened, mithril, isn't that what they used for such and such etc)

I agree the writing is incredibly dense and lacks subtly, especially subtle humour, but I've come to expect that from shows aimed at American audiences. Everyone is so incredibly two dimensional so as to lack warmth. Halbrand is the only one so far you could claim to be in anyway three dimensional (bit of a cad, understands societally subtilies, has a hidden agenda, serious anger issues, cheeky commentary). Everyone one else is of singular intent, causing then to be hard to warm to. I've some hope for Adar to be well written, but more hope than expectation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

It’s very boring. Did ep 3 and 4 yesterday and it was awful. Turned on the movie Raising Arizona after and was fully entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,702 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

God this really is awful with the amount of money poured into it and the content that it is based on they really have made a total balls of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Galadriel bundling the guards into the cell was a genuinely laugh out loud moment. Comically bad 🤣

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I laughed when it cut to her behind bars, I dont think you were meant to though but that was American sit com from the 80's standard.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 38,460 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So is Sauron in his physical form and the battle in the start of FOTR has not yet taken place ?

This one? No, that's expected to be at the very end of the final RoP series.

Sauron in physical form, not as far as we know. Halbarad, Adar, Meteor Man have all been suggested as his alter ego but I think extremely unlikely in each case.

Im still suffering from post covid issues myself, so i have a lot of time. I am rewatching the Hobbit extended trilogy - a trilogy i have been highly critical of, as have many of us - but having watching TROP - i have to say, im enjoying this - though it has problems of course

• this trilogy was made with love, love of the canon, and the lore - love of the source material
    • it was made to include lots of prequel LOTR material - which yes, makes it bloated - but it was made in a respectful way
    • this trilogy is beautiful - despite its failings - it is beautiful -
    • the Rings of Power - lacks all of these virtues - its an abomination

Anyway im off to the lonely mountain - :) and the desolation of smaug - and perhaps il encounter some riddles in the dark ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That doesn't happen until the end of the Second Age. But to be honest you're better off not trying to link what's going on in this show to the wider Tolkien world. It only has a superficial passing relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Really liked this episode. Liked the bit where Gladriel realised being bullish is the wrong option. No Harfoots was good too. Overall it's not great but it's not as awful as it's made out to be. Interested to see where it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I have to say I've been enjoying this for the most part so far. I've read the Hobbit and LOTR many times over the years but never went beyond that so in essence it's the same as being a non-reader for this series which is probably why I am enjoying it.

It has flaws no doubt. Galadriel being the biggie. Her personality mainly. I don't care if she wears armour or not (again not attached enough to the material). There are always moments in each episode that are badly written or executed. The latest as has been said above had the ridiculous scene of Galadriel shoving 3 soliders into a prison cell and then guards marching through the city shouting "the elf has escaped" because of course the people of the city are not on edge about an elf being among them at all. Funny enough the Irish Hobbits and their accent doesn't really bother me.

Whats keeping me interested is not knowing the history or where it's going (other than the obvious stuff like the forging of the rings, Isildur etc.). I'm looking forward to seeing what happens and how the characters I do know get where they are going.

I fully appreciate how the people familiar with the material might be annoyed. Having been a big fan of Asimov all my life I was dismayed at how badly they messed Foundation up but most people who hadn't read the books liked it. So be it really. The killer is I will always believe there was a better story to be told and it can't happen now and that may well be how people feel about this which I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,705 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Theres just enough interesting questions to keep me watching but surely they will reduce Galadriels role for season 2 on.

Clark is not able to lead a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Back on my lack of detail rant...

How did Elrond teleport to Durin again... in the same clothes.

Next up:

Why is Arondir the only elf that can fight really well. Why couldn't his officer catch and doge a few arrows in the last episode.

Why is Arondir the only elf that can fight really well.

affirmative action

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

Rings Of Power Viewership TANKS After Premier! Down 50% After The First Two Episodes? Amazon Panic! ~ {TheQuartering}

With click-bait titles like the above, how do they know when amazon is not releasing viewing figures?

This thread has certainly been quieter after episode 4.

Of course, the real reason audiences hate The Rings of Power, despite its eye-watering budget, is that it is a complete dud.

A bit harsh? If you view it knowing it's not Tolkien but an adaptation based on it, there is some good points to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Id say the only people holding on now are people who like the lord of the rings considering how boring it is. obviously we have no data but if the numbers are this bad already the drop off will be harsh.

The nest four seasons are getting made even if Jeff Bezos is the only person in the world watching them

I just don’t get how Amazon messed it up so badly in a show of this profile. They’re smart people.

I compare it to Vikings…..probably my favourite TV show of all time on any platform. I can’t think of a single weak piece of casting, acting nor storylines at any stage. And actors were not household names.

I know that the world of Tolkien is more complex in geography and timelines than that of the North Atlantic….but the basics of characterisation and writing are the same. But these landmark Amazon productions are poles apart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

The writing , dialogue , character interactions and editing are all tv soap opera standard. To compare the show to Prison Break would be a compliment.

Arondir being saved so he can pass on a message is a tired ol cliché. But Antor gained nothing from sending such a message. Literally nothing. He released his enemy because Arondir needed plot armour. The show is being developed by total amateurs.

Then you have characters pulling faces and turning their heads as if they are strutting down the catwalk. 🤦‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,705 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Clarks weird facial/teeth baring tic is one of the weirdest acting decisions I have seen thats one of the reason I thought she was a youngster starting her career and didnt know what to do with her face.

Not a feckin 33 year old.

Advertisement