Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

Western values, eh? 

Yes, the leading values of the world, which are in continuous evolution and development.

The last person to be executed in France was Hamida Djandoubi, guillotined on 10 September 1977.

Why are you comparing them from now with us from decades ago? Say it clearly, don't go in a roundabout way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

With no hint of irony whatsoever, I’d expect anyone to say that of their own values 😁 Clearly, everyone has their own individual opinions on what they mean by “Western values”, and what they do and don’t associate with “Western values”. I dunno ‘bout you, but the values I hold aren’t in continuous evolution and development.

Why am I comparing them now with us from decades ago, in a thread discussing multiculturalism? Because they didn’t lick it off the stones is why, in much the same way as ideas are passed down from one generation to the next, they also transcend geographical and sovereign borders; the point being that humans civilisations at their most fundamental level are all the same. It’s how they became civilisations in the first place, where some ideas die out, some are carried on, new ideas are created, and it’s civilisations that change and evolve and develop, not humans themselves, which is why you have yourself convinced that your values are the leading values of the world.

Like that isn’t at all egocentric 😁

With no hint of irony whatsoever, I’d expect anyone to say that of their own values

Yes, indeed they are saying that their values are better, the problem is that they do it here. Which is the whole point of this thread.

Sure I do, but the differences are: 1 I'm the one who's right :) and 2 I'm not going over there with my values and expect to be accepted.

• Advertisement

Cordell you feckin’ legend 😂

They’re not going anywhere with their values either remember, they’re European natives. I think it’s safe to say they wouldn’t agree with your idea of removing their rights to freedom of religion and freedom of expression and all that sort of stuff, which they would point out is among the most fundamental of Western values, and they’d have more evidence to support their argument than you do in arguing anyone should be deprived of that right on the basis that some people believe everyone should adhere to their standards and they’ll commit acts of terrorism against those people who don’t.

That’s how wars get started, by people wanting to impose their values upon people who don’t share their values. Multiculturalism is a product of Western values, the ones which you claim are superior, yet you would wish to create an homogeneous society akin to Middle Eastern societies which you’re claiming are inferior to Western societies.

I’m not sure you’ve thought this through…

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

1,166 people at 1million per person equals 1.166 Billion NOT 862.55million (where is the other 303.45million) and listing of 522million spent still leaves 339.5million missing from smaller figure or a total of 642.95million missing from larger figure

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

Well, I guess next time their values dictate that people need to be beheaded for showing a cartoon or blown up for going to a concert we will just have to suck it up, because we don't want to impose on their values, it will be unwesternly to do so.

It hasn’t been spent yet, would seem like the obvious answer, certainly more reasonable than the idea of any brown envelopes needing to change hands when it’s all perfectly legitimate.

I think that’s more of an individual thing than any shared values Muslims have in common though in all fairness? I mean, given there’s 2Bn of them, and one of you, I’d suggest you were significantly outnumbered if they all decided to get into the beheading and bombing business. I guess you’d be kinda hoping other people would share your values then, but they’re equally as likely to be too busy giving Paul Murphy a good boot up the hole… I’ll just pretend I saw nothing 😬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Ya think?. Both the Journal and I.T. reported OFFICIAL government figures, and somehow lost over 600million in the translation, and you seem to think that I have the problem, adding things up.

Also these figures are over 2 years old and in our time of need, do you not think that Kildare St would be singing from the rafters unless the money was already gone in BROWN ENVELOPES. (bit like the 401Billion from META, yesterday)

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

I do think, yes.

It’d be awfully petty of me to point out that in the same post you claim I seem to think you have a problem adding things up, I think I’d notice the difference between €400 million and €400 Billion… 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

Certain posters clearly think every Muslim is calling for people to be beheaded for showing a cartoon. I think it shows a clear lack of life experience. It's like thinking every Christian is homophobic. I have some friends from Saudi and they are the least religious people you'd meet. Just normal people believe it or not. We can already type out Cordells reply, despite him being an immigrant himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

To be fair, that's not a Muslim thing. That's a fcuktard thing. I quite friendly with a few Muslims, one in particular is a rather devout Saudi Muslim. No doubt he wouldn't appreciate mocking of Allah but would he condone fcuktardery..nope.

One needs only to look to the US and see the fundamentalist arseholes over there. LDS churches are pretty batshit crazy. And then the extreme end of world head bangers, are as crazy as any Islamic terrorist you will hear about I'd argue.

I have took to reading many parts of the Quran. You'll find, if you want to interpret things in a certain way you will. But, most won't.

I was warned before for having a negative view on the islam and its followers so I'll stop at this: it's not he quran or independent reading and interpretation, it's the whole thing that's problematic, the dogma, the laws, the preachers, the concepts, the rejection of western culture including music and clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

It won't end up like Sweden. It will look a lot more like London now.

Huge ethnic enclaves, daily stabbings etc.

Somalian youths in Dublin will follow the trends developed in London.

To be fair, that's not a Muslim thing. That's a fcuktard thing. I quite friendly with a few Muslims, one in particular is a rather devout Saudi Muslim. No doubt he wouldn't appreciate mocking of Allah but would he condone fcuktardery..nope.

Actually, it would be a Muslim thing as all Islamic nations have "punishment(s)" that are far in excess to what happens in Western nations. It's part of the Islamic culture.. it just wouldn't be an "individual Muslim thing". I know many Muslims too. Lovely people individually. At the same time, put them in a group of other Muslims, especially those unknown to them and from abroad, and the attitudes in the room tend to swing rather hard.

One needs only to look to the US and see the fundamentalist arseholes over there. LDS churches are pretty batshit crazy. And then the extreme end of world head bangers, are as crazy as any Islamic terrorist you will hear about I'd argue.

Except there's a rather large (huge) difference in population between Muslims worldwide, and that of these nutty Americans.. or even the nutty Europeans.

I have took to reading many parts of the Quran. You'll find, if you want to interpret things in a certain way you will. But, most won't.

Nope. They won't. They'll rely on the interpretation of a "respected" leader/theorist to do it for them. Islam is a particularly communal and conformist religion/culture, which doesn't encourage people to go off thinking for themselves.. It happens when they're young (males), but the moment that family plans touch the horizon, they'll nip that individuality really quickly.

Stick to talking about the culture and the religion. Leave "Muslims" out of it, except where they're influenced by that religion/culture. Each time I've been warned, I've countered the warning with that... and it... works? For now, anyway.

No, it didn't work for me, I got warned simply because I stated that the western culture is superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

I think that you will find that it's pretty much a Muslim "thing" Ackwel. How many other religions do you see with death and destruction officially listed in their "Constitution"? IE:- Kill the unbelievers, Cut off the hands and feet, Stone the adulterers, Cast gays from a great height. Maybe you have not reached these passages yet though? I once worked with a Wahhabi Muslim for about 2 years, and I learned quite a bit about their version of Islam ( isis base their interpretation of islam on the Wahhabi version,,,,the most strict there is, and they regard every other Islamic version to be their inferior, and not really Islamic.) According to him, the Quran contains everything a man (or woman) needs. It has the answer to every question, past, present or future that anyone will ever need. Want peace and tranquility? No problem, it's there, just look up the relevant passages. Death and destruction? Yes all of that is covered too, just look up the relevant passages. And it cannot be changed, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

And meanwhile in Sweden, new political party want Sharia Law recognized and adopted into mainstream law. Its gathering lots of support in high immigrant areas.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1569941337981714433

• Advertisement

Well yeah what did they expect when they let them in? Gratitude?

That’s actually a damn good question, because by that same token, it really does appear that what some people expect of immigrants, is servitude!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

servitude (noun)

the state of being a slave or completely subject to someone more powerful.…"you've got thousands of years of peasant servitude to make up for"

i literally never heard a single person advocating servitude as relates to immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Will they use the British accents like some have in the Grime culture. I have seen YT videos and you would swear its the UK from the accent. The Videos from Street fighting in Dublin City for clarification.

No offence meant just curious.

You’re after reminding me of a show on Disney Plus that I tried to watch recently, but it was actually such a dismally inaccurate representation of LDS that I could only stomach the first episode of it… and I’ve watched Prey and three episodes of She-Hulk before I couldn’t take any more, to give you some idea - I’ll stomach a lot, but even I have my limits 😂

But I did a bit a bit of a search after I was done with Under the Banner of Heaven to see was it just me, or what was the general consensus of the show. Turned out I wasn’t wrong in thinking it’s hitting all the silly stereotypes for it’s actual intended audience who, when they think of LDS, it conjures up all the silly stereotypes, just like the way Prey does, which also just happens to be a complete shìt-show from beginning to end, but this IS the multiculturalism thread… actually the latest Dr. Strange Multiverse nonsense, or the unrelenting cosmic shyte that was the Thor movie… dear God, it’s as though there really is a cultural vacuum which is constantly churning out turgid, festering shyte 😒

But back to the LDS crowd, while the usual media outlets were raving about how great the show is, members of the LDS and even the detectives themselves involved in the case, couldn’t recognise themselves in the characters playing them. They noticed the same thing I did, apart from anything else that stood out more than anything - the members of the LDS just don’t talk like that, even amongst themselves -

The characters speak as though their dialogue was written in another language and then run through a creepy-Mormon version of Google Translate. This is especially noticeable with the show’s liberal use of Heavenly Father, a term that Latter-day Saints use to address God in prayer and in other religious contexts. The show’s Mormon characters use it constantly in conversation: “You can’t flip an upside-down cake to save your life, Heavenly Father knows”; “Heavenly Father wants me to have babies and grow Zion”; “Heavenly Father answered my prayer for a Skyhawk”; “Capitalism is part of Heavenly Father’s plan”; “If you extract this down to a juice, it is like drinking Heavenly Father’s love.”

I tried for a while to write down every example of this tic, wondering the whole time how they could have gotten something like this so wrong. But I gave up after a few episodes, once I realized what was going on. To say that I have never met a Mormon in my life who talks like this would be to miss the point. These lines were not intended as shibboleths for Mormon viewers—they are there to serve a stereotype, to exoticize a people and flatten their faith tradition.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/06/under-the-banner-of-heaven-hulu-mormonism/661279/

Craig Foster  1:19:30

Thank you. Now as with the various officers in the in the police department, as well as when you were visiting with people or better yet when you were interrogating the possible suspects. Did you refer to them as brother and sister as you would if you were in a church setting?

Randy Johnson  1:19:55

Not at all. I never heard it. I would suspect that If somebody was talking to Richard Stoll, they may or may not have referred to him as president scope, which was his ecclesiastical title. But we did not commonly or even infrequently ever refer to each other as brother, sister this that we were a professional law enforcement agency. And I was known to be just a little bit military and formal. I was always chief. My officers were always dressed by their first name or by their title. We did not refer to each other as brother this and brother that and when we interview people, we don’t bring up religion as a twist to get them to. To confess, I was that was forbidden. When I worked at BYU Police Department, it just seemed a wise idea. We dealt with the facts of the crime and not the religion of the person who was involved. The lefties brought religion into it, we didn’t.

https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/under-the-banner-of-heaven-fact-vs-fiction/under-the-banner-of-heaven-randy-johnson

It reminded me of the bunched knickers there were at the time not long after 9/11 when Muslims were up in arms about the portrayal of Islam on shows like 24 -

https://amp.theguardian.com/media/2005/jan/30/broadcasting.religion

Can’t remember how that series ended actually, but I know 24 is also available on Disney Plus cos I’m on the second series… there’s nothing on Netflix or Amazon, and Sky is just gone to the dogs altogether, apart from the odd documentary series 😒

I understand. I got hit with that one too. Seems a strange thing to be warned for, considering that western nations top the lists as destinations for immigration, so.. the success of our nations is key, and connected directly with our cultural evolution.

Ahh well. Just gotta keep walking that tightrope, blindfolded, and with contrary winds coming out of nowhere. 😁

Those high immigrant areas might find themselves decreasing in size and influence over the next few years. I suspect the time of bending over backwards for "minority" groups is coming to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I think that's cos of the W in Western that seems to be the issue. If I said China or India there would be no issue 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Its interesting alright. Your post supported extremism alright but the reactions seems to suggest your form of extremism isnt extreme enough for sone here.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I don't wholly disagree with much of what you often say, and I take on board the considered response, but I'm just not able to agree with this. Its probably one of these things that's not for moving I suppose.

If every Muslim lived by "the islamic way" there would be gays flying off buildings every 3 seconds.

You mention its the religious leaders that hold influence and not so much the book, quite true, but, if we cast out mind back to the not to distant past we in this country put unquestionable faith in religious leaders and that didn't serve us well.

Religious fundamentalism in any form is bad, Islam is a very large religion, very large brings with it a higher amount of crazies.

All above said, (and this is the important point) the culture, and the way of life, even at modest levels is absolutely not for me. That doesn't make me right, or superior, but merely my preference. Hence where state supported sharia law and myself differ.

I still don't understand their absolute hate of pigs. Pigs are actually extremely intelligent and very clean compared to cattle.

Advertisement