Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭Shehal

Wow, I honestly have lost count at how many times Munster have got turned over....what the **** do the forward's think their job is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

skills were good actually.. it was their ruck positioning that has my head thinking...

but, first game of the year.... lets sit back and enjoy the show..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I wouldn't be too harsh on Munster regarding turnovers. Cardiff are one of the best teams in the URC in terms of poaching opposition ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

That's basic stuff IMO

There was some very poor handling, some really poor passing too. And some lineouts went astray or were very messy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,104 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Says the person who thinks prejudicial Jokes about limerick people are funny, don't think your comments count for much to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Left that game on the deck, backrow were criminally slow in support.

There were signs of a new gameplan and some nice patterns ran that if players hadn't lubed up before the game would have been good scores.

Discipline was much improved, the first tryline stand would have been at least 100 penalties the last few seasons, most of pens given away were because of the support not getting there to stop the turnover.

Players also looked to lack a bit of confidence when in possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I saw a good bit to be positives about from a Munster POV. They put together some lovely passages of play, and it was very close to clicking for them on a few occasions. Munster won't be the finished article for at least a few months, but there were signs of progress today.

Need to sort out the offensive rucks though. When you play that style of rugby, your clearout work needs to be excellent and Munster's was awful. It's what killed yous today. Adamson's interpretation which massively favoured the defending team didn't help either.

Crowley looked very slick. Made good decisions and offers a running threat that Healy just doesn't. The attack flowed much better with him at 10. I'd definitely start him next week. Salanoa and Ahern both made big impacts too. Patterson has become a very good player.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Awww poor fella are you still crying about that. How long has it been? A month? 6 weeks?

What pissed you off more? The joke or trying unsuccessfully to get me banned after reporting the posts?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Some of my thoughts after just watching that:

• Given the lineups, I don't think a losing bonus point is the worst result by any means. 
    • Resourcing the rucks was our biggest issue by a distance. Need far, far more accuracy and speed to the breakdown going forward. 
    • After that, unforced errors. Fekitoa dropped 3 passes alone in the first half, but each of those were from poor passes more than his poor handling, imo (from Patterson, Fineen and Healy respectively). 
    • But a lot of the time, those errors were at least because Munster were trying to play with impetus. In particular, we saw flashes of it from Fekitoa. 
    • And Patterson was also a big part of that. He's raw, his pass accuracy isn't quite where you'd want it to be, and his decision making cost us at times but it all came from a place of trying to inject pace and tempo into the game, and he clearly likes a snipe. He stayed on for the 80 ahead of Cronin which may be an indication of how we're looking to play. Only his 2nd start, so not too disheartened.
    • Also, as an example of trying to do the right things, Fineen Wycherley alone must've had close on 10 passes?
    • Thought Hodnett, off the bench was our best player; poaches, slowing ball, great tackles on transition and an impromptu POM-like clearance. Hopefully he can have an injury-free season.
    • Crowley as well off the bench looked pretty good, imo. Things just seemed to function a bit better with him at 10, and as I've said before, I can see him being out starting 10 in the medium-term.
    • Thought, our scrum platform was pretty solid considering the relative inexperience we had versus the opposition.
    • Thought there were 3 incidents on a Munster player being lifted dangerously beyond the horizontal, but only one of them (the Hodnett one) were pinged; the others being on Fineen early doors and another later in the half (I think on JOS) at the 5m line before HT. 
    • Was it just me or does Killer look like he's lost a bit of size? Dodgy enough tache too, mind.
    • Finally, jesus lads, is there any chance the Leinster fans could give us a chance to enjoy being a bit positive about the team, given it's the first game of the season and it's practically a completely new coaching ticket??

To be fair, a decent amount of the poor passing and handling was the result of a guy trying to inject tempo on his 2nd professional start. The ruck was a way bigger issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,287 ✭✭✭✭phog

A curates egg of a performance, the knock-ons and the turnovers at ruck times killed us but then we had some nice running rugby and with a lot less kicking, though Patterson kicked away at least two balls that really should have been kept in hand.

Our problem is with a new coaching set up we had the pre-season squad with the coaching team, then the Internationals are dripped fed back into the set-up and now we're releasing 10 to head off to SA. It doesn't help cohesion within the squad.

Yeah you know something, it does kinda get to me because I've heard these and similar idiotic slurs far too often. I guess somebody like you is unable to comprehend it but that says more about you than it does me

Perhaps if you ever had to explain to your 5 year old child why somebody would make such a comment you'd understand where I'm coming from but I'm guessing you use your personality as contraception so that should never be a problem for you. Luckily

And by the way, the 28th of August was just over 3 weeks ago, did you never learn to tell the time?

You think we only hear these **** comments about Limerick on boards? You truly are deluded

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

the new shape of 3-3-1 means that ruck security is that bit less than the 3-2-x that they ran last year. makes it easier to come onto the ball at speed however and there were some good elements of that. Healy has to challenge the line more it was clear Cardiff didnt rate his carrying threat, that changed when Crowley came in. Defensive decisions were poor at times with Coombes being the main culprit and you factor in the Adamson missed decisions such as the tackle being completed for the first try but the player allowed continue without first releasing the ball.

Definite positives to take but the new approach is going to take some time to bed in and the strength of side put out by Cardiff in comparison was abother factor

build a bridge fella, get over it.

Sticks and stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Fekitoa dropped a few- abysmal is the word for it.

Adams dropped the shoulder on Healy behind the tryline - you have to hand it to the Welsh they really are dirty players in those situations. If you’re watching the replay it’s at 52 minutes.

Post edited by jcon1913 on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,287 ✭✭✭✭phog

Liam Williams injury on Saturday has ruled him out of the Autumn Internationals.

Big loss for Cardiff too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Squad update.

The main news is that the 10 Emerging Ireland players are unavailable this weekend, but the internationals are available.

Archer is back in training and Zebo and Haley are being monitored.

• Advertisement

Going by his tiktok videos its always a good idea to be monitoring zebo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

He received some shocking passes, one from Ahern you wouldn't see at u15s.

I thought the same, especially in the fist half.

Many’s the U15 would have held them. I’d say on balance in attack he’s amazing once he gets his hands on the ball. Not sure if getting scrappy possession in broken play suits him. You gotta say that on balance Munster did well off so little possession

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus went into Lifestyle sports and saw the new jacket priced at €130 (€117 with the MRSC discount)

Crazy price

• Last years went on sale mid-season @ €70 and can be got (in certain sizes) now for €50.

I normally hold off until November to by anything. The full range is normally available and Lifestyle often do a pre-Xmas sale. They done Buy one, get one half price 2 season ago iirc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Same price as last years one. As SUAF says, give it a while and it'll be reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭diddlybo

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ah ****

I used to like him. But he should absolutely never play for Munster again unless he is unambiguously cleared of all charges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Mr Farrell (29) is not accused of rape but is facing an accusation of "not stopping a crime".

Just in case anybody scrolling by doesn't click the article - which would have you believe that he's a rapist

Advertisement