Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool's under 18's lost 4-3 to City today.

They seem to be building a front 3 of goalscores though with one of them being Irish.

Koumas age 16 with 7 goals 2 assists in 6 games

Doak age 16 with 3 goals 3 assists in 6 games

Kone-Doherty age 16 with 3 goals in 6 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Oh will you stop with that talk. That's part of the reason you shouldn't look at the league table this early. Every win, loss or draw has a much bigger bearing on your league position now than it would later in the season. Which leads to sensationalism like this. "Double our points" which equates to less than 3 wins and we have a game in hand and over 30 league games left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Arthur is playing with the u21s this evening. Will help with the match fitness I guess, as he won't be going on international duty. Carvalho also starting.

2 of Jermiane Pennant's nephews are playing for Leicester in the same game.

We are definitely not missing the Mane that is playing for Munich anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The Honeymoon period is most certainly over for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If only we had now, what Rafa brought to the club, Lucas, Alonso, Sterling, Mascherano, Garcia, Torres, Aurelio, , they would complete our current squad .

Is it a tad hypocritical to be commenting on Mane being written off this early, while getting bent out of shape if anyone mentions Nunez?

Just asking, cause he is adapting to a new team/country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Did he do a lot of adapting in the first 3 matches when he scored 3? I think the difference is one is a seasoned player who has won the every trophy at Liverpool, bar the Europa League, and the other is a 23 year old who has only really started his career. So it would be fair to expect more from Mane at this stage than from Nunez, right?

After 7 or 8 matches? C’mon, Mane is a quality player, there is every chance he will find his feet in Munich, and score with them. I’m not trying to compare them, I’m saying that it is way to early to start gloating that we don’t miss him based on how he has performed so far. It is no better than deriding Nunez just because he cost 80m. Both just need time to settle in, Mane didn’t become a bad player just because he left Liverpool.

• Advertisement

I think, at least from my side, the frustration is the comments that we miss Mane and he was the glue that kept us together all these times. He was an important player for sure, but not the glue (we don't have one player that is the glue, but that is a discussion for another time). I don't see it as gloating that he is struggling, just confirmation that people went overboard when he started well and we were struggling.

I for one will not wish him to do badly and will hope he does well, unless he plays against us, this goes for most of our ex-players once they leave us.

We got the best years out of Mané. I don't think that will be disputed when you look back at his career when he's done.

I can only think of two that we didn’t, Suarez and Alonso, there may be others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Mane came back from Afcon a rejuvenated player and finished the season well, but, he was very poor for the previous 12-18 months. I was disappointed with his comments leading up to the CL final, felt that could have waited until after the final was over. Think he will continue to struggle at Bayern as they don't always give players a second chance once they begin to struggle.

Both Nunez and Mane need time to settle into their new clubs, I think Nunez will get the time and be given the best chance of succeeding at Liverpool, it'll be up to himself to make the most of it. I'm not so sure Mane will be afforded the same at Bayern, they tend to be more ruthless with players and managers.

Leicester are a joke, signed no one for years, and sold all their first teamers, what is their next brainwave , sell Maddison . I dunno why Rodgers is doing putting up with it, as he'll be the one blamed.

Arthur & Carvalho played the whole game in a 0-1 win over Leicester.

• Advertisement

If he is carrying to much weight I think the majority of us are fcuked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

When you've had issues defending headed goals from set-pieces for well over a year, it's only right that he takes the blame.

When the Boards sells 200m pounds worth of players, and refuse to sanction any signings then it's their fault. Huge money grab going on. Every player of value has been sold.

Everton and Leicester have 0 wins

Newcastle have 1

Liverpool have conceded 6 goals, same as City. Liverpool have scored more than Arsenal, and conceded less than Arsenal, they're flying at the top, not so much us.

Liverpool are a striker away from competing, and at the moment it's looking like Nunez is a mistake. We bought him because Klopp liked him, how he got in behind our defense, but every man and his dog can get behind us, it's hardly a bar to judge someone on😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I didn't look at the game and when I saw the score, my initial thoughts was Rodgers would be sacked but after looking at the stats, they were probably a little unlucky to lose by such a margin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Not to mention awarding new contracts to Vardy and Evans, both in obvious decline.

Thiago does not suffer from arthritic knees or has an alcohol addiction. I wonder how McGrath managed to be continually employed when having these problems and not be registered disabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They’ve signed quite a few players over the past few years - a fair few of them were quite expensive too… this last window was quiet, but even just last year they invested a fair bit.

I am going to assume you mean they sold Maguire, Fofana and Chilwell to get to the 200m pounds. That is only one side of the story Toby because they did sell those players, but at the same time they have a net spend since the Maguire transfer. Yes its a small one, but that is mainly because of this year. So in the previous years when they sold a player for lots of money they spent more to get other players in. They have been making losses consistently for the past 3 years so had to make up the money somewhere. Their owners are in Duty Free in Thailand, a company hit by Covid in a country that has been closed for most of the time. Money is tight, welcome to the real world.

Their turnover to wages is also not healthy so their inability to qualify for the CL when he had them in the position falls on him and only him. The owners gave him the tools to succeed, he did not take it two years in a row. Now he has to work with the consequences. As others have said, the owners are not responsible for them being terrible at set pieces, and this is not a new thing.

If you ever saw Paul McGrath play football, you wouldn’t wonder that. During a career that included playing with or against the best players in the world at the time, some of the best ever including Maradona, the legendary Franco Baresi said he only ever asked one player to exchange jerseys after a match, Paul McGrath. Giants Stadium. 1994. The previous year he won the PFA players player of the year when AV finished runners up to MU in the PL. He was 34 when he played Italy, couldn’t train and was in constant pain, but he was the best player on the pitch against the team that would lose the final on penalties.

That is why the legend stayed employed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Virgil van Dijk wears Paul McGrath pyjamas.

I honestly reckon people forget just how good McGrath was, easily the best CB Ireland ever had which isn't saying much but the lad oozed class. Very nice fella and a humble man too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'm going to assume most of those ridiculously writing off Nunez at this stage are:

• Comparing him to Haaland, simply the best forward in the world surrounded by some of the best players in the world.
    • Unaware he has had only two starts.
    • Unaware of his age.
    • Impatient little boys.
    • Smoking k.

Settle boys, it's a bit early to be writing him off and the constant snipes are getting a bit much.

Same with the Elliott bashing.

I think you'll find the Elliot bashing is just coming from one poster. He just repeats himself so much it feels like it's a few posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Saying Elliot isn't yet good enough, or that his style/natural position doesn't fit the team isn't bashing him.

Good, well in that case no one is bashing Elliot. I myself have stated that Elliot is too lightweight currently for our midfield and how we try to play, I said it weeks ago before the stats came out that he was the most dribbled past player in the league apparantly cos I could see it with my own eyes. I wouldn't have called it bashing myself, rather taking an objective look at our issues. He may well develop into that player but He is obviously not strong enough defensively yet and this is causing us problems down our already vulnerable right hand side.

I'm not entirely sure Elliott's being asked to do what Hendo does though... so like Trent's systemic issues tracking back, Elliott not doing the same covering as Hendo does might be because it's simply not part of his role. There may have been a shake up in responsibilities, with Fab being given more responsibility to cover there, which he's struggling to deal with himself (likely in no small part because it was Gomez instead of Matip beside Trent leading to more trouble).

Elliott is getting forward in more proactive and dynamic ways than Hendo does, as Hendo is more about pushing up possession, but staying at the base of the move himself.

Just feels like there's been a general shift in a few areas from what we had been doing, which is causing some teething problems, not helped by injuries. Really interested to see how we look in a few weeks when football's back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

McGrath is a legend, one of the greats, especially in an Irish context.

However, his career happened 25/30 years ago. The game has changed immensely in the meantime, its a completely different game.

A player with McGrath's training regime let alone his lifestyle would not last in today's game.

I suspect there are still top players today with drink problems, there have been plenty of reports of Neymar’s issues with lifestyle and alcohol, including him turning up for training drunk.

It’s very unlikely he would survive in the premiership today without being able to train, the game is too fast. But there must be players with tailored training regimes that differ from team mates, which reduce the stresses on their bodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Yeah but in todays games with deep squads and five subs he wouldnt be run into the ground like he was back in the 90s. Youd roll him out for the big games and he would do the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Chelsea played Brighton in a friendly this weekend.

Not sure if Liverpool did the same or not, with arranging a friendly. The pool of available teams was basically Man Utd & Leeds. Maybe Palace

The Liverpool women’s team beat the reigning WSL champions Chelsea in the opening game of the season winning 2-1.

Reports that we are scouting Southampton’s Bella-Kotchap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

When all else fails, back to Southampton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

That would have been an interesting friendly considering what has gone on between the clubs the last few months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I don't bash him i simple call it how he is, Promising full of protentional but no where near the level people make out he currently is , & he should not & is not immune to criticism ,

• Advertisement

To be fair both have new mangers in the door so they really needed it,

I think we more likely need to be on the training pitch or resting ,

That actually not accurate ,

He was only injured in training once since he arrived at Liverpool, although one other injury was in a warm up ,

Corna missed 4 games

Everton game broken leg missed 17games

Calf injury v Palace missed 10 games

Corna missed 3 games

Hip injury in training missed 7 games

Thigh Problem v Cup final warm up missed 3 games

Hamstring v Fulham missed 6 games .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

All the Brazilian's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Looks like he'd fit in given his tats.

Would fit right in at the baptism pool parties.

He just signed a new contract in the last few days that ties him down till 2027 though, so either that was done as a way to make sure Flamengo get decent money on his sale, or maybe more likely that his Liverpool comments were just to prompt an improved offer from Flamengo that he has since taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Post edited by rob316 on

We are being linked today with Shakhtar Donetsk's left winger Mykhaylo Mudryk.

Looks like there might be a bit of post World Cup January transfers going to happen.

The best Brazilians look to Europe to play/earn the big money. If he is that good, the contract renewal is all about the transfer fee.

One man can have an incredible effect on a whole team, ie Suarez , but it's true in a negative way also, ie Nunez

Suarez elevated a mediocre team which had won nothing and overachieved just by challenging for one season, Nunez is not dragging down a superb team which has literally won everything. There are multiple reasons why the team is not performing optimally, you are overstating the Nunez effect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement