Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refugees sent to Martha’s Vineyard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Perhaps Martha's vineyard with its arms open welcome could become a transition area to send immigrants. The super welcoming residents can look after immigrants while their foreva homes are arranged in the sanctuary states.

Like a pit stop of sorts

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Except they were welcoming and accommodating, gave them food shelter healthcare and legal aid, thereafter they were flown to nearby Boston for more permanent accommodation, healthcare and legal counsel.

Moved on pretty promptly as soon as all the fuss died down and the photo ops for Instagram had passed. Flown onto Boston - they were sent to Cape Cod military base.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

”spat the dummy out”

Actually: the Governor of MA is a Republican. It is they who activated the MA National Guard and had them transport the refugees out of Martha’s Vineyard to be taken to the nearby Joint Base Cape Cod.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

Seems like someone might be 'mistranslating' what the asylum seekers are actually saying. According to MSNBC they were thanking DeSantis for flying them to Martha's Vineyard https://twitter.com/RealMacReport/status/1570877407116263424

CNN have an interview with one of them, actual words from someone who was on the place. He says they were given a choice of three different places, whatever was available. He sounded pretty happy to have arrived at Martha's Vineyard, completely oblivious that he was now in mortal danger. Hear from migrant sent to Martha's Vineyard - YouTube

• Advertisement

Well imagine that, the liberals and the media yesterday were certain that the migrants were lured with food...

Always in with a BS story first - they have form. The media is a fookin disgrace and a pack of disgusting pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭MakersMark

I hear Bob Geldoff is moving to Martha's Vineyard.

That'll free up his house for all the refugees he took in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

So having not been trafficked that was alleged what will the fall back be now ? They only out I see now is removing the sanctuary state title. Or it is just pure Nimby.

The silence from the liberal posters on Boards.ie over the past few hours suggests they just want this episode to quickly fade into history. The migrants are in a military base, their comrades in Martha's Vinyard got their Instagram photos and associated 'liokes' and the media ran with the 'duped with food vouchers' mis-information to hold back the embarrassment for the liberals on Martha's Vinyard.

The media are probably searching for a dead cat somewhere to fill tomorrow's headlines and seal the story we're commenting on here firmly shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Western Upper middle class lefties are some of the most hypocritical people on the planet. If they cared so much they should be opening up their houses to these people and giving all of their evil capitalist money away to the poor.

But no, their passion for social justice is all about themselves to give the appearance of being morally superior.

• Advertisement

Yup the whole sanctuary state thing is as hollow as it sounds. CNN did still try and spin the story and gave far too much airtime to the young fella with his people's lives and alike. Did chuckle when they said then can take in any amount after this. They should give them a days notice now and keep sending people who seemed to love it there I know I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The silence from the liberal posters on Boards.ie over the past few hours suggests they just want this episode to quickly fade into history.

Sure what more is there to say? One doesn’t have to be a liberal to see you clearly only started the thread to have an oul sneer, so it’s not surprising when people aren’t bothered any more taking the bait. It doesn’t mean they’re not discussing it elsewhere, they’re just not interested in your opinion.

It must have been very disappointing those that cheer the loudest also scream the loudest when it's in their area. If people admit they mean only in Working class/Poor areas would at least be a little less hypercritical to say the least. Sanctuary in word only.

You might have had a leg to stand on if the people who arranged the whole thing hadn’t arranged it solely for the purposes of winding people up. You’re in no position to level criticism at anyone when the people who should be held responsible for their behaviour are the people who are in the wrong. It’s clear from their actions they didn’t give a damn about the people involved, but you’re obviously more concerned with sticking it to the libs, or democrats, or whoever. This wasn’t the way to go about highlighting what they perceived to be anyone’s hypocrisy or whatever else, but that’s all some people are concerned with.

Given that’s the case, again I’d ask - what more is there to discuss?

No some would have a leg to stand on if the people involved had been trafficked. They had not they were told 3 destinations and landed at one. I have no issue with the Rich getting a taste of what poor/working class areas are dealing with. Hypocrisy is thy name. I agree 1 hours notices was not great. Now they should just continue and give 1 days notice. You can't expect poor areas/working class to take all the load has to be evenly spread would you not agree ? Or is Ghettoisation the order of the day now ?

edit the lad interviewed was a car mechanic cant see an issue with him finding work in an area like that.

Sure what more is there to say?

I agree - the migrants are well out of Martha's by now and the jolly residents there can cycle down to the local organic tomorrow morning to pluck their avocado from the shelf while being semi-distracted by their iPhone notifications informing them that their 'Loikes' are accumulating.

One doesn’t have to be a liberal to see you clearly only started the thread to have an oul sneer, so it’s not surprising when people aren’t bothered any more taking the bait.

139 posts in, it was all hook line and sinker in the end. A jolly encounter I'm sure you'd agree.

It doesn’t mean they’re not discussing it elsewhere, they’re just not interested in your opinion.

May get over to Twitter so...

Anyone with a working brain knew the lured or tricked part was complete bs. Put me on a plane tell me I'm going to somewhere in the USA arrive there safe get some grub and cloths. Would not care if it was not the original destination. We know who did not like what destination was landed at though. The nice chap in the video the mechanic should have asked if he could stay free room and board at the golf club fixing the buggies. Sure most of them have manual skills like that. odd they were bussed away to an army base.

Hypocrisy is indeed the name. Since you’re so keen to have the rich get a taste of what the poor have to deal with, how much do you reckon the politicians who came up with the idea are worth? They’re worth as much as the people living in the area they tried to turn into a dumping ground for immigrants. They didn’t take those people in themselves either.

But sure who gave them that opportunity to show off on social media? The politicians who thought they were being clever did. Their silly plan backfired on them, but naturally enough the same media that THEY contacted, will be the same media who will spin the whole sorry episode as the libs being at fault, somehow! 🙄

Fill your boots when the Democrats take in people I have no issue demands on others. Both sides are just as bad That seems to be the issue here im not on the Republicans side. But if the Democrats talk a big game about sanctuary states don't be surprised their bluff is called. If I had my way anyone who speaks about mass immigration as positive should have to register and take someone in. Simple as. Called putting your money where your mouth is and not everyone's via tax. I don't have the means to take anyone in even if I did I would not. I support strong country boarder's and Visas. Go to your local embassy and apply simple. If you are a refugee get to the first safe country simple.

You’re kinda veering away from the main point of THIS thread there horse 😁

Nah, this wasn’t a case of the politicians involved putting their money where their mouths are. You hardly thought the cost of their silly stunt came out of their own pockets did you?

This wasn’t calling anyone’s bluff, it was a case of the politicians involved exploiting the immigrants involved for their own entertainment, just for the sheer spite of it, on the taxpayers dime!

Drop in the ocean stuff, certainly going nowhere near addressing any of the many issues involved, and certainly not going to cause Democrats to break a sweat.

• Advertisement

So everyone is getting a share don't see the issue. Its odd we have on the Ukrainian thread people saying countries have taken more than us so we need to take more. Sure is that not the case for TX and FL they have taken the lion's share time to spread it around. or Again is it Ghettos now. I really don't see the Issue with migrants being moved to safe areas. The Republicans and Democrats are Idiots. It will blow up in both of their faces. And if a bunch of flag waving sign putting up White Rich folks get uncomfortable mores the better. Blue collar Joe/Josephine have been taking the brunt now time for Karen/ken to have a taste. I wager blue collar Daniel/Sofía have had enough of fighting over the scraps with the new folks from SA.

The issue isn’t immigrants being moved to safe areas, the issue is using human beings as ammunition to get one over on their political opponents.

I don't see it that way have they not been sent to Sanctuary cities ? Ones in the banner of the article are. If That's the case what is the issue. Would you have an issue if they sent them to Alabama ?

Ahh you’re grand, you don’t see the issue so there’s no point in any further discussion. Sound 👍

Sure no problem. I have no illusions that the Republicans are not being magnanimous. But simple fact is You can't call yourself a sanctuary and then complain about it. Why don't these cities and states that say they are, not going to TX and FL and bussing them into their own Neighbourhoods ? we know these people are poor and cannot travel far. So Would be great to see them moved to safe areas.

It’s a distraction technique, nothing more. They’re looking to distract the voters from their own failings by trying to point fingers at other people as being responsible for their actions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

What failings? Immigration is a federal, not a State matter. Texas, at least, is doing what it can, with thousands of folks on the border aiding Border Patrol, but if CBP decides to process them and release them into the State, there isn’t a damned thing the State can do about it.

They, as you portray them, are racist knuckledraggers, xenophobic rednecks - so why in the world would you want to subject migrants to such hostile surroundings. Enough of the bleating on here and get up off your swivel chair and empty your wallets to put on busses and planes and get those poor unfortunate migrants out of there. It's time to stop talking the talk and start walking the walk. Open up that spare room or that holiday home and provide it to the migrants. There's millions of migrants coming. Stop wasting time. Action not words.

Doing what it can... towards what ends though? If their aim is just to use immigrants as pawns in their ongoing culture wars to provide yet another justification for people who are resentful of 'everyone else', and point fingers at 'everyone else' as the cause of their lack of agency, then yes, they're doing a bang-up job of achieving their aim. Their latest stunt took aim at killing two birds with the one stone - raising anxieties about immigrants, AND taking a shot at progressives, at the same time.

When I refer to 'their failings', I'm referring to the lack of any adherence to Republican values, or principles. They appear to have completely abandoned the values of how Republicans can be identified, in favour of just straight up populism - no values, no principles, just portray 'everyone else' as the existential threat to Southerners way of life. They're basically reacting to progressives, and the seeds of it were sown since the Bush Administration was in office. At least then, Republicans were still identifiable by their values and principles, when the Bush Administration had an actual policy which was intended to control immigration, as opposed to just stoking resentment towards immigrants.

To put what I call their failings in some sort of context, it's probably better to lay out what I would have always considered Republican values and principles. There's a good summary of them here, which more or less about covers it. I've just included the main headings, but they're expanded upon in the article -

Traditional Republican values - NH Business Review (nhbr.com)

• Freedom
    • Limited government
    • Government close to the people
    • Strong national defense
    • Quality public education
    • Limited taxes and balanced budgets
    • Conserving the environment
    • Encouraging capitalism
    • Realistic foreign policy based on American leadership

There are more obviously, but that'd be getting more granular as in individual Republicans will have their own ideas of what constitutes Republicanism for them, but at their most fundamental operating level, Republicans could always be said to align closer to the idea of the Golden Rule. Recently though. while most Republicans would still share those values, it appears that the political leaders (I use the term 'leaders' loosely), haven't just failed to promote traditional Republican values in their positive sense, they've outright abandoned them in favour of behaving like petty, spiteful miscreants. I know you've argued earlier in the thread that this latest political manoeuvre puts immigration policies back in the spotlight and was a protest, but their actions were not those of Republicans, they were the actions of a petulant child kicking another child in the belief their parents will be sorry now that they won't let them get a pet. It's punishing an innocent party thinking it will have any impact on the decisions made by other people. Immigrants don't make immigration policies, so why are they being made to suffer? And it is suffering, because the immigrants being shunted out of state didn't ask for it. They intended to get to where their own people are, primarily in states like Texas and Florida, and even then Venezuelans only make up a tiny percentage of the immigrant population in those states, among the tiny percentage of immigrant populations in those states -

More than half of Venezuelan immigrants in the United States reside in Florida (53 percent). The next largest destination state, Texas, accounts for another 12 percent. The top four counties by concentration in the 2014–18 period were Miami-Dade, FL; Broward, FL; Orange County, FL; and Harris County, TX. Together, these four counties accounted for almost half (45 percent) of Venezuelan immigrants in the country.

As of 2014–18, the greater Miami, Orlando, and Houston metropolitan areas were home to 53 percent of Venezuelan immigrants. Another 7 percent of Venezuelans resided in the greater New York metropolitan area, and 3 percent lived in greater Tampa.

Even in U.S. metropolitan areas with larger Venezuelan populations—including Miami, Orlando, and Houston—these immigrants make up fairly small shares of the overall metro area population, less than 2 percent as of 2014–18.

In FY 2018, approximately 11,700 (1 percent) of the nearly 1.1 million new lawful permanent residents (LPRs, also known as green-card holders) were from Venezuela. More than half of Venezuelan immigrants who received green cards that year did so as immediate relatives of U.S. citizens (54 percent), while new LPRs overall were less likely to receive green cards through this channel (44 percent; see Figure 7). The second most common immigration pathway for Venezuelans was employment-based preferences (21 percent), which also accounted for a larger share of new Venezuelan LPRs than of all new LPRs (13 percent).

Article: Venezuelan Immigrants in the United States | migrationpolicy.org

Shunting them out of state, and particularly to a place like Martha's Vineyard, demonstrated no regard whatsoever for the immigrants welfare. It's literally setting them up for failure, and trying to set the northern states up for failure by just dumping immigrants on them, deliberately not notifying them so it would look like they were failing to support immigrants. Even when immigrants were being moved to a military base which is better resourced and better able to accommodate them, STILL there were the usual populist sorts trying to put a sneery spin on the whole spectacle to bolster their efforts to suggest that people in the northern states were caught off-guard because they don't want immigrants. Populist politicians don't do reality, they do propaganda and spin. When their fearmongering nonsense isn't working fast enough, they'll engineer circumstances which they imagine will align with the image they want to portray. Meanwhile people who hold Republican values and principles, will behave like people who hold Republican values and principles -

EDGARTOWN, Mass. — Migrants flown to Martha's Vineyard on the orders of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis will be moved Friday to housing on a military base on Cape Cod, Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker said.

The Republican governor said the move to the mainland would be voluntary. Baker praised residents and officials on Martha's Vineyard for taking care of the nearly 50 migrants after their unexpected arrival on Wednesday but said the island lacks the resources to house the migrants for the long-term.

The Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency will coordinate efforts to help the migrants. Baker said the state will also activate up to 125 members of the National Guard to assist in the relief effort.

Joint Base Cape Cod houses a Coast Guard base as well as facilities for other branches of the armed services.

Upon arrival in Martha’s Vineyard, where former President Barack Obama has a home, the migrants were provided with meals, shelter, health care and information about where to find work.

The vacation island south of Boston, whose year-round residents include many blue-collar workers, appeared to absorb the dozens of arrivals, who are mostly from Venezuela, without a major hitch.

“We are grateful to the providers, volunteers and local officials that stepped up on Martha’s Vineyard over the past few days to provide immediate services to these individuals,” Baker said in a statement emailed to reporters Friday. "

Joint Base Cape Cod contains facilities for the U.S. Coast Guard and other branches of the armed services and has provided emergency housing in the past, as it did for Louisiana residents fleeing the devastation of Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

The governors of Texas and Arizona have sent thousands of migrants on buses to New York, Chicago and Washington, D.C., in recent months. But the latest surprise moves — which included two flights to Martha’s Vineyard Wednesday paid for by Florida — reached a new level of political theater that critics derided as inhumane.

Migrants Flown to Martha's Vineyard Moving to Military Base | Military.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

And the Democrats haven't been playing politics with the boarders and these migrants fo decades?

Hypocrisy be thy name. I guess only one side can play that game. Perhaps Ocasio Cortez can fly down to Martha's Vineyard for another photo op weeping and clutching a fence?

Advertisement