Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Who would you like to blame?

If you have a sibling with a higher paying job than you which means he/she can afford to outbid you, do you blame him/her, the Government, society?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

That's not entirely true though is it?

People are competing against councils and buy to rent multinationals also over a very low stock of houses. Wages have not and will never match the growth in housing. Is there any point going through this though or are you going to make claims about the overwhelming majority doing great? Maybe look into hidden homelessness and the level of 18-30 year olds living in their parents houses or look at the amount in that age group who room share or rent a property.

An entire generation is locked out of home ownership at any level, its not because of "life choices".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I blame western Central banks who acted through government interventions to prop the assets up by lowering interest rates and QE. Lowering interest rates and buying of fiancial assets meant the big hedge funds we give out about had to go somewhere to get a better yeild than the extremely low government bonds, and obviously housing and real estate was the answer as it was yeilding at worst 5% in rental revenues every year, much better than government bonds. Why do this, all to keep the show on the road and create positive GDP. Government interventions in the the so called 'free market' have caused 90% of these inequalities and problems since the 80s.

I know alot of people may not agree but Milton Friedmann may have been very much right all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭jj880

So I should thank a group of landlord TDs for re-inflating rents and property prices after a recession they and their ilk caused. Jesis Christ Almighty.

• Advertisement

That all you got?

So its not life choices that keep many people in the 18-30 cohort out of home ownership right?

Is it more possible that all our builders left/went bust during the recession, hardly any homes were built, the population increased, now theres no houses and everyone who wants to buy is fighting over the crumbs left? Yeah the odd person 18-30 might be on 100k(By the way, that only will get them 350k in a mortgage so I hope their partner is earning) a year but it certainly is not the majority and it certainly is not down to life choices.

What do your own kids do for a living? Did you gift them land maybe to get them started if they own homes? Are they over 30? - i'm just surprised you were so quick to put this down to life choices, that's why I ask. I wonder what circumstances gave you that view.

For Gods sake, have TDs introduced legislation which makes being a landlord easy for themselves?

How have they inflated rents? With policies which increased employment and the number of well paid jobs that meant the need to emigrate dwindled? Did the Government cause Covid, are you blaming them for raising wages and the cost of materials which make building more expensive? A Government can’t magically make hundreds of thousands of houses appear, and if they introduced tax incentives to entice developers and small investors into the market, you would cry fowl because they would make too much money. The last time Section 23 type incentives were introduced, small investors piled into the market and personal debt spiralled, so you can’t blame them for not wanting to go down that road again.

Interesting that jonnyc135 blames the banks which lowered the interest rates that you benefited from for the last 15 yrs. Do you agree with him that your interest rate should have been kept much higher?

How many 18 yr olds are trying to buy homes? And it has always been more challenging for a single income to buy a property, there is nothing new in that.

Is that all I got? With small LLs exiting the market professional LLs are absolutely necessary, Ireland is not unique in that. Without councils buying homes our homeless figures would be far worse, the people they house are unlikely to be in a position to purchase it themselves. So while I do appreciate the irony that the State is competing with buyers, they do so with good reason.

Yes the builders went bust, and many fear of doing so again due to the cost of building and the difficulty with obtaining credit. I know builders that were large scale in the Celtic Tiger era who are not interested in developing multi unit housing, they want one off builds or extensions because they know they have a better chance of making a profit/getting paid. The Government can’t order them to take the risk again, and if they incentivise it to the point where it appeals to them, the public complain that nasty developers are at it again.

As for my own kids, what they do has no bearing on this conversation, I did not give them any land nor money, but I did give them advice, “don’t rely on others to help you”. They make their own way in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

There is no head in the sand and I’m clear on the risks that exist in the European market… your not looking forward though everyone of your predictions over the past 2 years have been wrong and way off the mark. Just like when you were on here giving out that stock market crashed because of covid variants and couldn’t see why travel bans would impact airlines share prices.

The fact that you were only interested in the rental market and how it was going to implode despite records high immigration and supply getting smaller…it didn’t happen and just like I have called you out many times you can’t back up your predictions with any facts.

your best effort is an economist who gave the worst advice ever when they encouraged the government to guarantee all deposits. The same economist who said don’t buy 2 years ago and now prices need to fall by at least 20% for anyone to be financially better off if they followed his advice and that’s not even taking into account 2 years rent.

What age did you purchase your home? I gave you a bracket, was it not uncommon for people 20-30 years old to purchase houses and raise families in your day? 18-30 is to cover all the people who live on couches or in their childhood bedroom because they cant get on the property ladder.

"With small LLs exiting the market professional LLs are absolutely necessary, Ireland is not unique in that. Without councils buying homes our homeless figures would be far worse, the people they house are unlikely to be in a position to purchase it themselves. So while I do appreciate the irony that the State is competing with buyers, they do so with good cause."

Absolutely nothing to do with my point, you said it was down to personal choices a few posts back - so are you suggesting now its not ?

• Advertisement

Councils and investors all combined are only accounting for 15% of property transactions nationwide and the majority of this is in apartments.

The main fact is that there is a shortage of properties to buy 100’s of thousand of potential housing with planning already granted but not being built. A simple use it or loose law where planning would be revoked and land rezoned as non residential and a introduction of a 80% tax on any notional-profit from the land being rezoned back to residential would see these properties being built and would stop the hoarding of development land or the continuous flipping of development land and nothing being built.

I bought my first home, an apartment in a small village outside London an hour from where I worked in 1996. I was 25, living with my then girlfriend, now wife. We put every penny we had into it and struggled to pay the mortgage for a while.

You asked me “Is that all you got?” When I posted that people are now living in the houses that councils/investment funds buy. And then went on to explain “what I got”. There is a benefit to those Councils/funds buying properties, people live in them.

Regarding personal choice, as you keep dwelling on it. Why is there an incessant need to blame others, be they your peers, or the Government for your choice of career? Others chose a different path and are earning more, that is life.

Your leading and narrow questions are fooling no-one. Plenty of things previous and current governments could have done to make sure we aren't in this mess. They didn't. Funny how doing nothing benefits them with increased asset value and higher rents.

As for interest rates why were they lowered?

Id rather scumbags like Bertie didnt pour petrol on the fire for the "boom" and inflate the price of property to ridiculous levels to begin with.

What would most people rather have? Low interest rates last 15 years on an overinflated celtic tiger mortgage or reasonable rates on a reasonable mortgage in a country that hasnt been ruined by useless corrupt gombeens?

The Irish government had no say on the interest rates!!!!

How can you possibly blame them when even the central bank of Ireland who’s decision making is independent of the government didn’t even have control over interest rates as it is undertaken by the ECB for the whole of Europe.

Jesus Bertie is gone, let it go.

A lot of people bought houses before Bertie, and after the price of property crashed. You have benefitted enormously from low interest rates and in all probability, your house is worth more today than when you bought it.

Who will serve you your coffee if we all become doctors and investment bankers though? I have a third level education and earn above the median national salary, I am coming at this from a position of experience of the current market and not some opinion based on how hard I worked nearly 30 years ago.

You should take a look at the place where you bought that apartment now and see could you do it again in the same job - use glassdoor.com to get an idea of the salaries in the area.

It seems to me that you are simply delusional and more than happy to stick with your ill informed opinion that an entire generation simply picked the wrong careers and made poor choices even when presented with evidence that this is simply not the case. Maybe that exercise will show you what that age group are currently up against.

Where did I say the Irish government had control of ECB rates?

Could I buy it today for what I would be paid? I don’t know, different market conditions and as it has been 26 years and I don’t live in London I'm not knowledgeable about either the job or housing sector. What I can tell you is that a similar apartment in the same development is advertised for quadruple what I paid for mine, but it is in better condition than when I bought.

I don’t think people picked the wrong careers, there is more to it than just owning a house. But there has always been higher paying jobs in society, in Ireland at the moment there is just a lot more of them. I don’t blame people for choosing a career path, I just don’t agree with them blaming others because they don’t have what the others have.

Nah dont think I will. Everyone including him should always be reminded of the damage he did to this country's economy.

A lifetime of bitterness awaits you if you continue to fixate on Bertie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Well 35-44 year old adults in the UK were far more likely to own a house as compared with today apparently.

That is a macro change in society.

Since housing is a fixed cost I think it is a truer reflection of monetary inflation than other prices which can be arbitraged or otherwise artifically deflated, and from that I would conclude that real wages are lower now than in 1997.

The UK market is arguably less distorted than Ireland with its multiple construction lockdowns and near-zero rentals.

milton Friedman assumed that central banks had control of the money supply but that’s not the case money supply is increased everytime credit is issued and destroyed when repaid.

The lowering of interest rates was to encourage credit growth but this wasn’t as successful as expected because banks were unable to find opportunities to lend within their risk appetite. And instead we saw an explosion of credit being issued by funds because it was not as regulated as banking. Most of this credit found its way into assets pushing up prices because these funds attract investors who are looking for investment opportunities.

the main driver of QE was to lower rates to increase investment and create jobs and pull Europe out of recession…the fact that there was a unforeseen impact on asset prices is well documented. An ECB paper on this topic was released about 3/4 years ago.

So no you couldn't, unless your job at the time has also went up 300 odd% right? Now add in cost of living, rent crisis etc etc to that mix, they all feed into the problem.

Great your starting to see it, I think.

"I don’t think people picked the wrong careers"

?

"Why is there an incessant need to blame others, be they your peers, or the Government for your choice of career "

maybe I misunderstood your post but it sounded like you were blaming government for 15 years of low interest rates.

Thinking that people chose the wrong careers, and them blaming others for the careers that they chose is not the same thing by any standard. Can I make that any clearer for you?

The fact that you grasp the concept that not everyone, including myself could afford to buy what we want when we want it is encouraging. If I couldn’t afford to buy my 1996 apartment today, do you know what I would do? Exactly what I did in 1996, I would buy where I could afford to, I would have preferred not to have to travel so far each day, but no one was going to help us buy closer to where we worked, we neither expected them to, nor blamed anyone else for that.

You also need to take into account that interest rates in the Uk fell 600% (6% to 0%) during the period.

Just looking at your 300% increase in salary it’s an average of 12% pa and if you take into account the reduction in rates during the period which would have resulted in an increase in disposable income the gap narrow.

I for one can remember 1996 and the majority of people had practically no disposable income compared to what they have today. I’m not saying it wasn’t easier to buy back then especially as most properties were in negative equity in the Uk at the time but you need to factor in all the facts when doing a comparison. It’s like comparing buying a property in 2012 to today in Ireland.

Very true, interest rates were 15% just before that, owners were handing in keys to banks. The apartment I bought was a repossession, but I can’t remember what the mortgage rate was when we bought, I think it was around 8%.

Grand, so you dont think we all picked the wrong career.

I would agree firmly with you on living within your means, 100%. However our housing crisis is not Dublin-centric or even limited to cities, its nationwide with the exception of a handful of counties. Not to mention the material rises have yet to really have an impact on new builds for sale so id imagine the crisis will deepen in that sense.

Aside from the unfairness of having to live far away from ones home forever how logistically can it work long term? How can Dublin be sustained by middle income workers living in rosscommon for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 HousingisaRight

How to Really Solve the Irish Housing Disaster/Crisis

1.Build up Immediately on a massive scale (Minimum 20 story’s)/ Halt Urban Sprawl/Stop Wasting Prime City Locations/Change DCC & An Bord Planaela Policy/Move Dublin Port/Free up 200 Hectares for 50 Story Apt Buildings

2.Ban Landlord TD’s (currently 25%+, clear conflict of interest), Healy Rae has 16 properties worth over 5m, Dail has 70 millionaires, you cant run in the next election if you own property, you must sell, Troy is probably making 25 grand a month

3.Issue 25,000 construction worker visas (war time effort)/ Bring Down Construction Labour Cost/Do what Dubai Did/EU & Asia/Extra Apprenticeships Domestically will take too long/ emergency/We need foreign workers

4.Apply Shared Equity Scheme to Existing Properties (no new builds in Dublin under €350,000) /Makes the scheme dead on delivery/Demand Side Scheme will only push up prices/Shoebox apartments shouldn't cost half a million/you also need to borrow full amount/essentially a double mortgage/

5.Borrow 20 billion now and massively ramp up timeline from 10 years to 5 years (ESRI report/Pension Timebomb for Renters/HAP/Hotel Spend/Request EU Assistance/Should have been done when interest rates were at 0%

6.End Nimbyism and Streamline Planning Laws with An BordPlaneala with Emergency 5 year legislation/Compulsory Purchases/High Density Apartment Construction/Aesthetics are a Luxury/Generation Rent just want Housing and to stop paying crippling rent

7.Strengthen Remote Work Legislation to Decentralise Dublin, Reduce Emissions and offer incentives to convert office to residential/Massive opportunity here to increase accommodation fast/ghost offices at the moment

8.Landlords Leaving the Market should be viewed as a good thing, move away from housing as a commodity, let local authorities ,buy that asset/one persons rent shouldn’t be another persons income

9.Inner City Flats residents should be offered new builds further out for free so we can demolish prime city centre locations worth hundred’s of millions and build high rise apartments, primarily 1 & 2 beds for the new generation who simply cant afford to have kids, they just want shelter. These are generally high crime eyesores and terrible first impression for high spending tourists.

10.Government should start building social housing on a mass scale on public land, using its purchasing power for discounted construction materials.

11.Bank Cuckoo & Vulture Funds Immediately: They are distorting the market not helping it

12.Impose a 100% Tax on Multiple Vacant Properties and Compulsory Buy Orders. Demolish eyesores and build high density apartments.

13.1 & 2 Beds Affordable Apts : Majority of People in their 20/30’s who are single and don’t believe in being forced to couple up in the biggest financial decision of their lives just to avoid being crippling rents.

14. Stop Wasting Money on Green’s Retrofit Scheme: Only Rich People can afford this and it is foolish diverting construction labour time away from new builds

15. Offer Tax Credit to Renters in the interim, generation rent are just surviving,not living, spending 60% of net income on rent/we are paying for our parents generations mistakes/they have pulled up the drawbridge on us happily seeing their house price increase and someone else paying their mortgage. It is an absolute scandal.

16. Impose an immediate Rent Freeze/ Amend the Constitution if necessary

17. Conservation Laws: Analogy, Painting a building that’s on fire, we are in a crisis, young people paying crippling rent couldnt care less, a destroyed generation, so all laws that impede or slow down building should be immediately bypassed.

18. End Bluffer/Teacher TD’s being placed into Minister Roles/Place people with relevant degrees or 20 plus years in relevant field into the role for e.g. Professor Ronan Lyons and Professor Rory Aherne should be asked to step up for their country in an emergency and assist the Housing Minister/ Generation Rent Does Not Trust Darragh O Brien, an early investor in vulture funds and no relevant experience

19. Scrap Help To Buy Scheme: Pointless Demand Side Scheme/Only applies to New Builds/None in Dublin under 350k

20. Never Again Allow Council Houses to Bought by Tenants for Cents on the Euro/Unbelievable Waste of Taxpayer Money

• Advertisement

you need to put some thought into the impacts of your plan as it’s not as simple as you suggest

e.g.

1 if you build up then you also need to be improve infrastructure, transport, schools etc. is this included in your plan and who pays for it.

2 it shouldn’t make a difference if a TD is a landlord as long as they follow the rules like everyone else so that it is clear if a conflict of interest exists. If a change was to be made I would suggest that anyone that doesn’t declare correctly looses there seat along with their state pension.

3 I wouldn’t use Dubai as an example as they effectively have slave labour and the no of deaths in construction is crazy. This is like asking to bring back slavery. I would also like to know why you think construction workers should take a pay cut they have families to provide for and all you would do is get less people going into construction/trades which will lead to problems down the road.

4 apply shared equity to existing houses doesn’t increase the number of houses being built and would only lead to upward pressure as a result.

5 the government wouldn’t be able to borrow 20 billion under EU budgeting laws. you would have a better chance of raising capital by housing agencies issuing bonds but to be able to make that work they would need to pay an attractive coupon so you won’t have cheap rent etc.

6 would be easier and quicker to build a new city on a green field site. Cost of high rise buildings is expensive and to do so in a historical city will be slow.

7 I tend to agree with this but you need to accept that they will need to be shoeboxes for it to be financially viable.

8 so you are saying that councils should buy more of the existing housing stock at the expense of FTB’s and private renters.

9 yet again something that has been done before with dire consequences.

10 if government build mass scale social housing it will mean less homes for FTB’s as construction resources get redeployed. This means reduced supply higher prices

11 funds provide nearly all the financing for new builds you need to be careful you don’t inadvertently reduce the number of new builds. They also provide supply for renters so how do propose this gets replaced and the rental situation doesn’t get worse.

12 a vacancy taxes is required but at 100% it would lead to less new builds

13 1 and 2 bed apartments are required but they will be shoeboxes and expensive

14 I would argue that the only people that can afford retrofit are people in social housing because government pays and not the well off.

15 thought you were against increasing demand on the buy side as this is what this would achieve

16 yet again a policy that would result in shorter supply

17 why not just declare war on the USA get them to bomb the city and then make them pay to rebuild it. These laws are there for a reason and if you built a new city you don’t need to worry about it.

18 you would need to increase pay dramatically for this to happen and there would be no guarantee that they would be any better. At the end of the day these guys are heavily involved in decision making just look at what is being paid to consultants that advice the government…they will all be qualified.

Advertisement