Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

I believe this is something that they can set only. It's not a standard firmware but one made for a specific issue. I opened a ticket by email/portal but follow up by phone. It was a few weeks since my last reply though. It took about 40 mins to get through so you need to be patient. I think there's just one manning the phones for end users at a time.

The service desk is https://solis-service.solisinverters.com/support/home

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

For everyone else's benefit, 269V and 281V(!!) is referenced in this ESBN document;

Conditions Governing the Connection and Operation of Micro-Generation (Section 2.2 Interface Protection Settings)

Solis have translated these settings into Solis parameter names here:

I'm not sure if anything else is configurable unfortunately.

Supply spec is 230±10%, but as per above the ESBN requirements for inverters are approx 230±17%. I presume this is to avoid solar PV inverters exacerbating issues around the fringes of supply spec.

Next time it happens follow the yellow ESBN vans up to Loughshinny 38kV station and see if any of them will let you in on what the cause is. 😉 Probably a ground fault on one of the other phases. If it is any help, my local 38kV station is also fed from Glasmore and I saw no issues this morning.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

An offset adjustment would be great. I requested similar previously on the Solis portal but rather than just not respond, they went one better, and deleted my ticket. 🤷‍♂️

Post edited by Jonathan on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I guess the problem is that the supply standards is 230v +/- 10%, but if your inverter is upping the voltage beyond that.....while it might not break the inverter, you potentially could be altering the supply spec for your next door neighbour. The local sub station should be able to handle the backflow without tripping, but I guess it's hard to say that everything on your street can.

I don't know enough about the technical merits of it to be fair, but my suspicions that if your inverter is outputting more than 254v, then bad-mojo could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭connesha

👍️ To be fair, the local ESBN guy did phone me directly later in the day to see if all was Ok then. They had gotten a few reports from other people too that morning (Andy?), but unfortunately they didn't know what it was at that time. It lasted 3 hours in total. For the first 2 hours it was over 260V, and the last hour was over 253V.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭paulbok

Are all those Solid settings only available on the inverter or can they be got at via the app/ Portal?

Now that's a bit cheeky! seems the 100W import bias was a bit too much but it gives a good place to start. I'll get my smart meter import data after the weekend and see what the offset would need to be. I'm thinking more like 15-20W but will see.

You can see the import below. It ended up that the battery was only covering the peaks. Base load is like a square wave due to the fridge-freezer.

Do you mean the offset? I don't think there's any front end for it and it's only on one specific version so far, not general release.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭paulbok

General import settings, only place I've seen them is under the inverter advanced settings

On the voltage issues, I'm up the road in Balbriggan which is fed from Loughshinny & Glasmore. Highest I've seen is 245. No issues so far.

I'm wondering if disabling charging from grid will sort my problems out. It seems logical but solis seems anything but...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Dizza

Hi,

Thanks so much for all the advise and wisdom. New to all this and very grateful for yer tips. Have panels fitted and waiting on electrics to be hooked up.

This is my package. 5.32kW (14 x 380W Solar PV panels), 3.6K Solis Hybrid Inverter, 2 x 2.4K Battery Storage, eddi Power (Hot Water) Diverter.

Should I ask for a bigger inverter if I increase panels/battery in the future.

Thanks again

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I'd be looking for at least a 5kw inverter even with your current panels..

Unless there's some reason to be restricting down to 3.6

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If you are going to increase the number of panels in the future then that time is now, getting roofers back and putting up (likely) different looking panels with different voltage is something that will turn out to be a total headache both financially and potentially visually.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭crisco10

Have install lined up for January, and just taking the time in between to make sure I have exactly what I want configured in the install...and have a question re interface/apps etc.

So am getting 4.5kW on E/W, with Dyness battery and Solis Hybrid Inverter. Not getting an eddi.

Currently have Zappi charger, with Harvi tucked away in my meter cabinet.

Will I be able to see all the things I need in one interface (preferably an App)? Things I need/want being solar generation/battery status/household load/grid import/export/Car charging or not etc? I'm assuming Ill be clicking through inverter menus to change more hardcore requirements but for day to day monitoring (and even CSV downloads?), I'm curious what I can get by default, and then if any upgrades (e.g. MyEnergi Hub?) would make for a better experience?

I got solis to adjust my import bias down to 50W. That seems to have sorted the problem. I'm only seeing a small amount of export overnight where it was draining the battery before morning.

With the adjustment between 7pm & 7am it was 0.5kWh export and 0.9kWh import. I'm talking about tiny numbers so I think I'll just leave it alone now. Perfect is the enemy of good or something like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Does anyone know what size the Amphenol Surlock connector in on the Solis inverter?

Is the clip into the invertor a standard size and then it is based on wire gauge into the clip?

Is there anywhere locally that would stock these, electrical wholesaler e.g.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭connesha

I had originally tried sourcing these too, but gave up and got the pylontech cables made-up instead from this guy.

If they suit you, ignore the "out of stock" notice on the website. Just phone him, he most likely has them... the website is always out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Thanks connesha, an option at least. Have cables with the battery so need to change one of the connectors only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I was looking for these as well a while back, 8mm size if I recall but they were too expensive and do it right you also need a special crimper, also crazy money for that.

Went with pylon cable kit and snipped one of the ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭runner2011

Short answer is no , not all on one app. Depending on what version of a Zappi you have you will need a Hub and another CT. The Myenergi app will show the Solar Generation After Battery if you have a CT clamp on the Solar output before your consumer unit (Set to Generation) , your CT clamp on the grid (Set to Grid) shows the import / export to grid which allows the Zappi to modify what its takes. The Myenergi app will also allow you to adjust how much excess you have before your Zappi starts charging ..100% , 90% etc . The Solis app is quite good ..you need the Wifi Stick for it tho. The Solis app shows the Battery charge / discharge and status .. the Myenergi app won't as you can't clamp on a DC feed.. only an AC battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,431 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Get an inverter monitoring wifi dongle. Essential imo. Every installer should be able to supply one. They might even chuck it in for free if they are decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah, WiFi dongle is in the scope of work.

So what I'm hearing is that MyEnergi will show everything with hub (my zappi isnt the new one) and an extra CT on the solar output just in front of the consumer unit.

BUT myenergi doesn't distinguish between solar and battery, it just sees the inverter basically and everything beyond is a black box? Sort of makes sense given how CTs work, but seems a shame the inverter can't talk to the hub.

So then need the solis app to monitor the battery/solar array setup.

I've been hoping that with the new zappi out, myenergi will start flogging the hub but alas not yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

I Also have a query on the NC6 form as I put 16 extra panels in my garden south facing ground mounted about 2 years after my initial install so do i send in a new form? Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If anything the Hub has ballooned in price, lots of retailers out there with EDDI and Zappi2 without inbuilt Hub and Hubs in very short supply. With everything you outline the Hub and App are an essential. Good luck with your install

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

So my import and export issues are still ongoing. They scaled back the import to 50W but TBH it's still dancing around now, just importing about 1.5kWh per day instead of 2.5kWh. It seems that it struggles to provide power to the base load which is below 200W, so it jumps between import and export while the battery sits there doing feck all - unless an appliance or something bigger turns on.

What I did find that was if I set it to timed discharging it would provide the power from the battery. Lowest I could go was 4A which is about 200W or a bit above. That means a tiny export.

It begs the question, where the feck do I go from here? I've a hybrid system that doesn't want to use it's battery properly when DC power drops off. You can see where I set it to discharge about 11pm. No import and export is reduced also... but I don't think it's practical to set this on and off effectively manually controlling what should be the automatic self-use state.

Note that the import & export are from myenergi as the solis readings aren't showing half of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

@silver_sky just had a look myself and I think it must be doing it too but not as much

At night while covering the base load it does seem to run at a constant export, as you can see sits under 0 most of the time but it's small enough, under 50w.

This data comes directly from a shelly CT on the mains cable so I trust this over the BS that Solis logs.

Willing to bet it does it for everyone to some degree and I would say the 20ms reaction time of the inverter is either not enough or the 20ms value is a lie like the 100a charge/discharge rates.

See I wouldn't mind a small export but my overnight usage is basically 50% battery and 50% import with about 20% of that total being exported. The whole thing could be covered by the battery with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Any tips on making my Myenergi products less crap?

They do function correctly initially, in that they start charging when there is excess. But they don't stop.

My Eddi was trickling along like this all day, even though the car was plugged in and charging.

And although the car wills tart charging when there's excess, it won't stop when the sun goes down. It keeps on charging at 1.4kW.

Its a real waste of space currently as I always have to check and manually stop the charge via the app. Not so smart.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Sounds like you're on eco charging rather than eco plus:

Not sure where to change the setting (I've a wallbox but they've the same set of options: charge grid, charge sun only, prefer sun but take grid if it's dull)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Advertisement