Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Price Increases [Groceries]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

I posted a couple of weeks ago about the "special " in supervalu where 4 chicken breasts cost 7.50.

The new "special" is 3 for 6.50.

One chicky less but only a euro cheaper. Not special at all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I saw in Lidl a special offer for next week. 5 chicken breasts (1kg total) for 8:49 down from 9.99. I am pretty sure they're the same Chicken breast packs I used to buy for years for 7.49

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭3d4life

As the last two posts were on Supervalu & Lidl allow me to make it three in a row NOT about Tesco :)

Aldi do not have uniform pricing across their Dublin shops !

Question of the day :

Why is UHT milk in this country more expensive than in The Canaries ?

Doesnt Lakeland have a big UHT plant in Killeshandra ?

Just Why ?

I mean, Why ?

Post edited by 3d4life on

Irish UHT milk in Spain

Irish UHT milk in Ireland

If you can bring yourself to use Spainish UHT milk when in Spain then go for this

Tesco jaffa cakes up from €1.09 to €1.45

☹️

• Advertisement

Lost all trust of Tesco. A lot of their clubcard prices seem to be just regular prices...and it makes the non clubcard price extra, essentially adding a non clubcard user fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I did. Doesn't mean a clubcard 'offer' is actually an offer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Villa05

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

My attitude with “Loyalty” cards is they are there so might as use them all and get whatever back you can from them than not at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭zell12

T part baked rolls 300g was 59c 69c 75c 79c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Fresh herbs gone from 99 to 1.09c

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭crayon80

Potted herbs are 1.49, I think they were 1.29.

Chia seeds, sunflower seeds and similar gone from €1 to €1.39.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,481 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Not sure if it's being on here Tesco Sourdough was 99c then €1.15 and now €1.29.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Tbh, it's so easy to make your own homemade pizza that the frozen ones arent worth it even on price, the dough is a bit of hassle to make but you can freeze it.

The only time we would get a frozen one is if we're coming home after a 4+ hour drive and don't feel like cooking, the lidl ones have seriously suffered from shrinkflation the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭delboy85

Coca Cola 500ml bottles - were €1.60, now €1.89.

Tesco luxury Soft Toilet Roll. 9 rolls now 6 "long" rolls, price increase from €4 to €4.75 / 28c per sheet to 33c per sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Economies of scale and retail costs.

Economies of scale - UHT milk is as popular as fresh milk over there. You will see shelves of it. Here you might see one row. So a supermarket there will buy pallets of the stuff, here they will but a couple of boxes.

Transport to canaries is cheap. A full 40ft container will be less than €2500 and that can carry a huge amount of uht milk. So shipping from ireland to canaries is a couple of cent for carton

Then the retail costs. All the staff of the supermarket are paid about 40% less than what they are paid here, that make a difference.

BTW a litre of fresh milk is €1.39 in lidl in Tenerife. - But you forgot to say that

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭sasco

Thought something like this was coming, those are out of stock for the last few weeks. Seems like with their own brand products go out of stock for a while and then come back either a different price or change to sizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,026 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Advertisement

They must have added that later. Still think I'd prefer the old pack!

They'd gone as thin as two-ply already, now I wonder how much longer this so-called "long" roll is...

"BTW a litre of fresh milk is €1.39 in lidl in Tenerife"

@walterking I guess that might be an issue if you are German. I mean, Lidl is more or less a last resort supermarket there. A place to go if you are stuck for something on a Sunday - 'cause the greasy till rules Lidl GMBH. So they ignore the societal norm of Sunday being a day of rest

Dino & Murky have a much better offering ( and cheaper fresh milk ) than Lidl

P.S. I dont buy your attempt at justifying the excess pricing of UHT milk in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 32,646 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Those one litre bottles of flavoured fizzy water used to be 35c I am pretty sure...now up to 55c

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭crayon80

Bananas now €1.35 /kg in tesco and lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Tesco Farmhouse wheaten bread was €1.09 then €1.20 now €1.45!

I can kind of understand these rises, given the amount of energy that a bakery must use. I wonder will the prices drop when energy price decreases???

Tesco own brand 12 can multipack of cat food has been more or less unavailable for the last few weeks. Which was a sure sign they were going to change them. Sure enough, now all they seem to have are 6 can packs, which obviously works out more expensive, plus they've changed some of the flavours. But even those were out of stock again this week.

So I headed down to Maxizoo earlier, as they used to like their cat food, only to discover HUGE price increases right across the board, and the food I used to get them has gone up from €1.09 a tin (maybe 3 months ago?) to €1.69 a tin. I ended up buying single cans of Whiskas at €1.12 a tin. Never buy pouches, they are just a total rip off.

Think I'll take the bells of their collars and let them start catching their own dinners. 😾

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

When Tesco put up prices, it is not by a percent or two, it is by between 20% and 50%.

Cream was €1 now €1.49, own brand milk was 75c, 85, 95c 105c. Own brand butter was €2.35, now €3.35. Plenty of other examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

It’s not just energy - wheat prices have doubled in the last 18 months along with other massive increases

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Similar increases in dairy in every supermarket though.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Identical increases in dairy in every supermarket!

Advertisement