Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

How to end the war has already been answered many times......but here it is again. Russia defeated, and pushed 100 % out of Ukraine and that includes Crimea. With a weapons free 50 Klm buffer zone on the Russian side.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,422 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Russians should also be f****d out of Belarus and Transnistria. They used Belarus as an invasion route.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,664 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Russian government regards Crimea as part of it's sovereign territory so an attack would be considered an attack on Russia itself. It would be very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Putin's regime are hanging tough at the moment. Who has the deeper pockets and more patience? They've made a disastrous miscalculation that will change the geo politics of Europe for years to come and which almost certainly reduces Russia both politically & economically. Allowing China to gain greater influence to their east & south east among the 'stans' of the former USSR. Caught for the foreseeable between the growing influence of the EU to their west and China on the other side. All for what? A dream of former glory?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Have you been living under a rock? Crimea has already been attacked and so has territory inside the real Russian border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Kherson seems to be active tonight.

Not sure what's going on.

All Eyes On Rafah

They should have thought of that when they illegally annexed it.. Showed a serious lack of examination of all the pros and cons and possible outcomes down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Ukrainian Army 'feeling their oats' a bit on Twitter:

It doesnt matter about the rights or wrongs. Crimea is spilt milk that should have been dealt with at the time. Now it's a fully integrated part of the Russian federation unlike the Donbas. I could see an attack on Crimea getting very, very nasty and Russia has no qualms on using nuclear weapons in it's military doctrine if it's territory is attacked.

The west shouldn't allow ourselves to be roped in to a catastrophe if the Ukrainians try to over reach.

I think the focus should be on returning to pre Febuary borders as well as the Donbas. Attacking Crimea could set the whole region ablaze. It would be a disaster in my view.

Go away Kermit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This apparently is in Kherson city itself. UKR may be making a push on the capital of the Oblast. A big night in the broader context of the war if so...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Remember the Lisbon treaty was rejected here, there was this "entrepreneur" who appeared out of nowhere speaking in opposition. Haven't heard from him since in the media, I'd take a guess he was payed by the russians

I believe in letting Ukraine make any decision's regarding recovering their territory, and they have said Crimea is part and parcel of that territory, which was illegally annexed. For the last 8 mths, what do you think Russia has been doing, except setting the occupied ( and beyond) territory's ablaze? They are going to do worse than they have already been doing all along? Nuclear maybe?? No, I wouldn't think so.

I'm presuming you're speaking about Declan Ganley. Not in the least, the man is wildly against Russia in this war. He did work in Russia in the aftermath of the Soviet Union collapsing from what I know. He was sent as a young man from a City of London institution to cut deals on resources.

In fact, the conspiracy at the time of the referendum was that he was in the pay of the Americans (I believe he holds US citizenship and has business interests with the American military with the provisioning of secure communications equipment).

Highly unlikely to be true, just a rich guy making his convictions (however boneheaded they were) known.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

I feel that Belarus has the potential of having a EuroMaidan of its own and follow in Ukraine’s footsteps. There appears to be at least some sections of society there who want rid of their Kremlin toadie dictatorship, but alas have been beaten down by the state.

I feel that Russian defeat in Ukraine might accelerate the process of change there.

Right now, officially Belarus forms a “Union State” with Russia, which kind of smacks of them trying to revive the USSR, but isn’t really anything at all beyond a concept. Unofficially, Belarus might as well be regarded as subject “Republic” of the Russian Federation. I hope for Belarus to get away from Moscow and their nonsense.

Hmm…reports of gunfire in the city according to liveUAmap.

Could just be shenanigans with the locally positioned Russian troops. Would be excellent news if the Ukrainians are already in the town…but my gut says no…

Scratch my previous post…that looked like they were firing at something down the street. Could it really be a push for the city? Might be some interesting news in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Does look like the battle to retake the city is underway. Godspeed to the Ukrainian army tonight, light 'em up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You clearly didn't get the memo. boards.ie best wishes are an effective counter measure that will take any Iranian drone out of the sky instantly 😶

Iranian drones are recorded at taking out a Patriot missile defence system. They are nothing to be looked down on or made fun of.

I would also like to remind people made a mockery of Turkish drones when they first came out. I don't think the crew of the Moskva or the Armenians are laughing too much at TB-2 right now.

Ukranian forces are still over 23km from the city earlier today apparently so seems highly unlikely they've broken that distance.

Had a browse on Twitter for the 3 different videos that are up so far; current theories/rumours about them are:

• It’s a staged propaganda shoot for the Russians (I doubt it)
    • It’s two Russian units fighting each other (not impossible, but I doubt it)
    • It’s a partisan unit rising against the Russians (there might be a chance of this)

Could be partisans, could be the main Ukrainian army, or both, or a partisans setting up the prelude for the main force. The fighting shown so far is pretty chaotic, which feels like the Russians have been taking by surprise. That might lend weight to the idea of partisans attacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

Here's an article talking about Russian military doctrine,

According to Russia’s strategic documents on nuclear deterrence, Medvedev underlined that the country reserves the right to use nuclear weapons in four scenarios, two of which do not require it being attacked by nuclear forces from the outside. One of those is an attack on Russia’s critical infrastructure that will have paralyzed its nuclear deterrent forces. And the second would be an act of aggression committed against Russia and its allies, which jeopardized the country’s existence itself by conventional weapons and forces. He emphasized that there should be no reason to doubt that Russia would be “ready to give a worthy response to any infringement on our country, or on its independence.”

So, an attack on Crimea would not paralyse Russia's ability to use its nuclear deterrent and it would not jeopardise Russia's existence either as the country of Russia would continue to exist without occupying Crimea. The last line of Russia giving a worthy response to any infringement on their country is probably the closest argument to saying Russia would use nukes on Ukraine. Medvedev uses the phrase 'worthy response' instead of nuclear strike, which says to me that he does not want to claim that Russia would use a nuclear weapon the moment he feels their territory has been infringed. In Russia's history as a nuclear power, its territorial integrity has been threatened before like in the Chechen Wars, but the Russian state did not jump straight to the nuclear button, preferring to solve that conflict with conventional force.

If Ukraine were able to push into Crimea and if Russia were to bring the nuclear threat, I think it would first happen as an ultimatum. Putin would publicly declare that Ukraine has x number of days to withdraw forces from Crimea or else face appropriate retaliation the likes of which they have never seen before. From there, NATO intelligence agencies would work beyond overtime to figure out exactly what this meant, and if it was found to be credible evidence of a nuclear strike on a Ukrainian city (not just an empty threat, in other words), Ukraine would be very sternly warned to pull back.

Nuclear weapons are almost by definition a last resort, given their destructive power and political taboo. Putin must know that using one would introduce the kind of chaos that he cannot predict would work out in his favour, possibly ending his career and life altogether, so for him to use one over Crimea would mark him out as very desperate indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They haven't a patch on Israeli or US drones .

The Moskva wasn't sank by drones

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 11,431 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Crimea is a nonsense.

The whole war is a nonsense.

The world recognises Crimea as part of Ukraine. It is part of Ukraine.

The same way the world recognised the Baltic states during all the time of the USSR. Russia didn't recognise them only till the breakup of the USSR and their independence in 1991. And even now in the last few years there's Russian MPs calling that decision wrong by an unconstitutional body. That was 1991.

Crimea has been part of Ukraine since 1954.

Bug off Russia and your imperialist Putin. The gallows or firing squad hopefully awaits ye.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement