Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Well with supply now increasing we might be seeing more of the anecdotes above coming to the fore. Tightening of credit will accelerate that trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

460k for Adamstown is nuts. Maybe that's why there were only 10 families there.

Galway City has definitely cooled down as well as far as I can see. There are 8 properties that was i keeping an eye on in a popular area. All are up on Daft since mid June. Still not sold. One of them got reduced from 475k to 460k on Wednesday.

I think people are very worried about the coming months and aren't interested in buying a house for now. Or cars, clothes or gadgets either going by the latest retail sales figures. New car sales down 25% in july according to the CSO.

Can see a lot of businesses going to the wall over the coming months. Going to be an interesting year ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

I bought in 2008, I still remember being outbid for houses right up till March of 2008. Houses were getting outbid like it is today (albeit maybe like 30~40k, not 100k). Only few months later the whole thing went from a buzz of activity to dying.

The house I ended up buying in May had no active offers and the previous person had dropped the offer. I got a nice 30k off the asking price and the prices has just recovered to that level.

The market can go anywhere in months.

One just has to take a look to America to see how quickly the market can turn. The anecdotes above are all before increases in borrowing have been passed on. Now banks are becoming more selective in the amounts they will lend. Down the line they will actually be increasing the rates on what they lend. Going to be interesting how the market adapts in the run up to Xmas. Will the likes of those Galway houses keep their AP's at the same level or will they start to follow the first mover down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Mortgages are not the only type of loan ............

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

A lot of businesses need to go to the wall, it's important to note. We have had a ridiculous level of support from the State the last few years keeping companies afloat but a lot of them are only able to survive with State support. This is not healthy and will ultimately result in good cash being thrown at bad from the State if the bullet is not bitten. COVID is over 8 months now and the energy crisis will result in some supports but the unfortunate reality is that there are perhaps too many unviable businesses doing a fast one. It's been too long since we had insolvencies and complacency and dependency are not healthy for our SME ecosystem. Of course, this obviously will be tough for quite a few businesses and people so the government should really direct spending into the SME sector to stimulate transition and recovery, not to prop up zombies.

It's going to be a wake up call for sure for people who have grown accustomed to spending like there's no tomorrow and taking on car and household goods' loans like its free cash.

That is a worry in relation to house prices as well. There is a good chance that the government will intervene even more than it already does to prop up those who inflated the market by being reckless ... at the expense of the people who were more prudent. It happened after the crash in 2008 as well.

Even talks about trying to bring in tax reliefs for renters, or income tax reliefs for landlords. It would all prop up the market beyond where it should be.

It's a con the housing market. Artificially high in prices because of government actions and hardly any market interference to justify the prices.

If the government was serious about fixing the market it would stimulate supply and not keep inflating demand. Something as simple as tax credits and employer's PRSI cuts for home builders and their employer's for the next few years, using the Irish investment fund to grant low cost loans to home developers and then a totally free measure that can be done overnight; change planning rules to streamline permissions and adopt a "yes, unless strong public interest reasons exist to reject the development, balancing the need to proritise for the foreseeable future the mass delivery of all types of housing for the citizens". It's a question of will.

I wouldn't give anything to the developers in terms of tax reliefs etc. The State should have plenty of tools at it's disposal to prevent the hoarding of building land. I don't think you were suggesting that though

• Advertisement

Well, they already do give them reliefs with rental assistance and grants to FTBs so it would be about redirecting that cash to the supply side and away from the demand side.

Ideally, that money should be cut and instead used to fund State building of houses. The structures that might have enabled that need to be rebuilt.

You are a new poster, but I have pointed out on this thread a few times in the past that if the State suddenly removed all direct and indirect supports to the market (HAP etc.) then we'd have something resembling fairness. They all amount to massive subsidies to existing home owners

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Loans are already low cost as the interest rates are very low 2-2.5%. the ECB is hinting that it will stop at 3% and is willing to live with inflation @5star02707@ 5%. We have had state lending to large commercial enterprises before and it's a mess with howls of favoritism. Most people employed on building sites are subcontractors or are employed by subcontractors. Developers tend not to employ staff directly

Any change to planning rules ends up court. The government already tried to stream line planning and plannings granted under this have ended up in court and been turned over.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

No government would ever remove Hap, Ras etc. They'd never get in in the next election. I totally agree that they are 2 of many policies that keep prices inflated though.

As an aside, there needs to be some stick to ensure that developers use their planning permission within 3 or 6 months of it being granted. Too many sites are left unused, seemingly with the owner waiting for prices to escalate further so that he can flip it and make a killing.

Yes. There needs to be a proper site tax. I think that when an area is zoned residential, an annual tax should kick in. That tax should increment over time too. There can be a waiver of a reasonable time at the start. If the person does not want to sell the land and does not want to pay the tax then they can apply to have the zoning removed and reverted to agricultural or greenbelt!

After that, once planning permission is obtained, it should be subject to a higher rate of tax which also increments over time. There can also be a reasonable waiver here too so that a developer should be able to build and sell within that time.

Use it or lose it basically. What the system now has is that there is a certain amount of land rezoned. That is snapped up and hoarded Then if there are proposals to rezone more due to housing shortages ..... they come back with the argument "sure we have loads zoned and it hasn't been used which means there must not be need for it". Basically holding us to ransom.

Where did you see that the ECB are willing to live with inflation? Secondly where are you reading that they will stop raising soon?

They would have never said such a thing. They might have expressed a view that they would not panic in allowing it to surge past the target rate temporarily but they have a target rate for good reason. They would never have indicated a willingness to live with high inflation for anything other than the short term. Even then, it would only be in the sense that they would be hoping it would abate of it's own accord.

Inflation numbers in the US surprised the markets last week by being higher than expected. Markets are now factoring in at least a 75bps rise later this week. That will add to inflationary pressure on the Eurozone countries.

Exactly, I was wondering if I had missed some newsflash....

Article in FT indication rates across the board are expected to be far higher than was previously expected.

Investors are pricing in a sharper surge in interest rates over the coming months after the world’s major central banks strengthened their resolve to tackle soaring prices, signalling they would prioritise inflation over growth. A Financial Times analysis of interest rate derivatives, tracking expectations for borrowing costs in the US, UK and eurozone, showed markets expect a more drastic pace of tightening during the final quarter of 2022 than they did earlier this year.

The shift in mood comes ahead of crucial policy meetings by the US Federal Reserve, the Bank of England, the central banks of Norway and Sweden, and the Swiss National Bank this week. It follows a poor August inflation reading in the US and warnings from monetary policymakers on both sides of the Atlantic that they were becoming increasingly concerned that, without substantial rate rises, high inflation would prove hard to shift.

“Central banks are coming to terms with how hard it will be to bring inflation back to target and they are trying to convey that message to the markets,” said Ethan Harris, an economist at Bank of America.

A big shift in market expectations came after policymakers, such as Federal Reserve chair Jay Powell and ECB executive board member Isabel Schnabel, delivered hawkish messages at the Kansas City Fed’s annual Jackson Hole conference in late August.

https://www.ft.com/content/3d7bfcdd-512d-4d67-8daf-52308db94c37

With the goverment not able to borrow as much money, at least might reduce the council buying up homes and outbidding hardworking tax payers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

We went to view a gaff in Crumlin the other week. The previous owners had added a pretty nice extension and the garden was a nice size. I'd no intention to buy and mainly went to view it to see what the extension was like tbh.

Here's the thing. It's a 2 bed mid terrace towards the dolphins barn end of Crumlin. Other gaffs in the area are listed at 299-350 depending on if they're end of terrace. Generally sell about their asking price + 20k. But they wouldn't have extensions and this place is pretty much turn key.

This gaff was listed at 395. Just about acceptable because of the extension but even that's a stretch as the area is fairly grim. Bidding ends tonight (auctioneera - a dystopian eBay for houses) and current highest bid is 495k. For a 2 bed mid terrace in Crumlin.

Insane, but there's clearly a few interested parties.

EDIT: bidding finished and highest bid was 500k on the nose. That has to be near the most expensive a house in Crumlin has ever sold for. My god. A 2 bed mid terrace for half a million euro.

Post edited by pinksoir on

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Balluba

This house in Crumlin is certainly in turn key impeccable condition with a very impressive extension and a very large manicured private back garden. A lot of money was obviously spent upgrading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

No doubt. Very nice extension and the garden is a nice size but definitely not manicured. It's a standard garden and many of the houses in the area have similar or bigger gardens. The extension is c. 30sqm based on other houses (house is 98sqm - other houses are 67sqm).

Nevertheless, it's a 2 bed mid terrace in Crumlin/Dolphin's Barn. You can get bigger houses in decent suburbs for that kind of money. It's obviously ticking the boxes for enough people to enter into a bidding war, and turn key places still obviously command a premium in the market. But you can't help but think the vendors are pinching themselves. They've made a nice profit there

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Balluba

I like the lovely unusual glass inner courtyard and basement storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Do not touch Auctionera. I've seen dire properties on that site go for nearly 100k over the asking. It's nothing at all like ebay. Anyone could bid, and the "ending time" is always extended with each bid, which would not happen in a real auction. I would wager that many sales on that site fall through after the adrenaline wears off.

Peak insanity still, an apartment going for nearly 100k over asking price.

I was out looking at the area today, while Ashtown is very nice the price for that property is lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Dante

Every house I have viewed in North Dublin so far has gone sale agreed within a couple of weeks and at above asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Any auction never ends until the last bid. Its noy fair to give an underbidder an opportunity to bid again. If an auction ends at a set time any bidder would be crazy to bid until the very last moment. Then it would be the last finger before the cutoff that won. All online auctions give the previous bidder a chance to rebid if a bid come's in at the end that is the way they work.

The reason I dislike auctions for houses is the expense it add to bidders. You need to get you solicitor to preview the documents ( you could gamble on this year's ago when property was cheap but not now) and a structural report which is about 1-3k. As well BidX used to charge you 200 euro for the right to bid.

So of you went to 10 auctions without buying you have 15-20k gone down the drain. It may we'll be why people are willing to go the bit extra when they are bidding as you are committed one way or the other. You cannot afford to be a tyre kicker it costs too much money.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Auctionera is not an auction. In a real auction, and on ebay, bids are binding. Anyone can "bid" on that site and drive up the price of a house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DFB-D

I agree, they are a sham.

They say they will deal with the top 3 bidders to close on order so it leaves room for a fake bidder to be top and try and close with the next bidder.

I've bid on 2 properties with them and both went for crazy money and are back on the market now again for higher than the asking price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement