Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer unit replacement 2022 - expected prices

Options
  • 06-09-2022 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi,

What would be a reasonable quote for a fuse box replacement in 2022?

Earth rod/earthing upgrades would also be needed - as well as potentially the tails to the meter being replaced.

I've gotten quotes from over 1,100 to 2000+ just for the above.

Post edited by 2011 on

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It depends on many factors. How many circuits? Do you require AFDDs? Do you require RCBOs on every circuit? Are the existing cables long enough? Do you require surge protection? Is the wiring in good condition? What is access like? Are there other issues that would have to be dealt with first?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭geo88

7 circuits, no AFDD, no, cables are long enough, yes to surge protection, straight forward access.

Tails need upgraded to 16sq and earthing rod installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

How old is the installation. In my experience a house that’s upgrading its fuse board to a consumer unit and also upgrading the tails will not pass the certification process. There’s usually other issues

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I don’t do this kind of work anymore but I would guess at least €2,000 for the board upgrade + the cost of upgrading the rails + whatever else is uncovered. Material prices have soared.

I am getting my own board upgraded soon and have decided to get AFDD’s installed on the socket circuits. I am also future proofing by installing an EV point (although I don’t own an EV). I will install a metal enclosure while I am at it.

I have yet to get material prices.

For what I described, I would be surprised to see materials add up to more than 300e.

The same type of upgrade could be done in the UK for under 800 pounds, easily.

Are you saying that materials here are an order of magnitude more expensive than the UK, or that the standards are that much higher to justify the prices?

We're talking about 900 to 1700 EUR for a day's labour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JL spark

300 euro won’t buy half the materials,

You sound like you know it all , do it yourself and see what happens,

sick to the teeth of people like you ,

if I’m pricing a job , I don’t lower my standard to suit a pocket ,

No one asked you to lower your prices.

What accounts for the price difference between the markets in your view?

Here you have an opportunity to educate people in an online forum as to the materials costs - help us understand.

Saying it's expensive and refusing to provide any breakdown for materials certainly seems to be the standard way of operating for certain people - and not doing them any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

In fairness you were the one that said you’d get the materials for less than €300

give us the breakdown of how you came to that

I’m saying the the cost of materials and labor have both gone through the roof. €300 will not cover what you have described. I remember charging around €800 for that back in around 2005 when I did that work.

The cost of running a business has increased dramatically. Insurance being just one example.

You need to understand that it is not a case of materials + labor = price

There are a lot of overheads. VAT, keeping a van on the road, certification costs etc…..

Also demand is high and electricians are thin on the ground. People simply won’t work for that little when there is so much more lucrative work out there. All businesses want to maximize profit, electrical contractors are no different.

Post edited by 2011 on

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JL spark

A breakdown of my price is as follows

fuseboard change with testing and cert €1800

and it’s €0 if I don’t do it ,

is that good enough for you

• Advertisement

Would have thought that you'd expect a professional to generally provide a breakdown, but sure, let's try this for measure:

7 way populated CU: 89.61e

40A MCB: 8.49e

Surge protection : 30.07e

https://www.meteorelectrical.com/distribution-control/surge-protection-device-18th-edition-type.html

Earth Rod: 10.33e

10m 16sq T&E: 78.5e

https://www.meteorelectrical.com/cables-accessories/cable/6193y-16mm-twin-insulated-earth-blue-brown-cable-100m.html

3m trunking & other misc: 50e

Total so far: 270e (includes VAT)

Anything big I've missed that results in this doubling?

The above board does not comply with the current rules.

….and it’s a Garo so very poor quality IMHO.

No doubt you will find some unqualified person prepared to do this for you as a nixer using low grade materials and ignoring the regulations for €800. You will get a level of quality that reflects the price and you will convince yourself that you got a good deal.

There is no point in asking for a price and then arguing with any answer that does not align with what you think the price should be.

This will just go around in circles.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement