Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westmeath school gets temporary injunction banning a suspended teacher from it's premises

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭stellamere

Cool the jets there. Do you not see the irony of you preaching about common courtesy while starting your reply in the manner you did.

My point was that the are loads of good reasons why it's not in a child's best interests to be called by a preferred pronoun. The common courtesy argument is a bit facile in that context.

I Hope the ministers for Health, Education and Justice are taking good notes these days for when the are called before a tribunal of enquiry which is virtually guaranteed to take place in 15 to 20 years time. Minors haven't the legal or mental capacity to make decisions that will result in their sterilisation and it is very easy to think that many children down the line will ask where were the adults in the room and why they would facilitate a child to drastically and permanently alter their body.

Why is it that society is celebrating this and foisting gender theory on our kids? It's only my view but I don't think kids should be thought that if they don't particularly relate to the characteristics of their sex that they are transgender. The government permitting policy in this area to vested interest groups instead of professional in the fields of science, psychology, sociology, health and education.

Adults can do as they please, and best of luck to them as far as I'm concerned, but the pseudo science of gender theory shouldn't be muttered within 2 miles of a school.

It's bizarre that a tiny but vocal minority have such a strong influence in government policy on health and education.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You clearly have very little knowledge or understanding of employment law. You are making all sorts of completely wrong claims.

There's no need to insult posters. We can have an adult civilised conversation here without lashing out and calling posters the R word just because they proved you wrong.

There is also no "gotcha" point in your posts either by the way

1 It's quite a common occurence to suspend someone on full pay while investigating alleged behaviour

2 You cannot sack or dismiss someone easily. As you have pointed out this can often be an illegal act. Your point about "oh the wrc can force blah blah" - none of this point you are trying to make makes any sense. You will start getting heavy fines if you don't follow the law plus your insurers might have issues too.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Should have gone to the relevant website before posting to see what the process is.

In cases of alleged serious misconduct, the teacher can be suspend with pay until the conclusion of the investigation and any appeal process.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Last sentence is a good TLDR of your own post.

Such dribble.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Another Burke cheerleader who insists what they believe trumps actual facts.

Just feel sorry for anyone at this part of the story still buying any of Burkes guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hang on a second - you went from saying that there were good reasons for not allowing a child to choose their pronouns to 'making decisions that could result in their sterilisation" pretty fast there.

I'll assume you're not trying to connect the two, but no one is suggesting let alone promoting the idea of sterilisation of a minor!!! That's beyond sensationalist hyperbowl.

While you're here, what are the 'good reasons' you speak of?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Hrt therapy etc isn't legally available to anyone under 16. So your point seems pretty irrelevant and inaccurate. In relation to the actual thread. It relates to a teacher having no regard for his students well-being as demonstrated by him going on a public rant about them.

Jesus, it's "taught" not "thought"

And since when does calling someone by a different name or pronoun result in their sterilisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I think you're right about schools not being able to insist on their teachers belonging to their own sect. However, given enough supply, they would be in a position to issue a standard rejection letter, and choose members of their own sect without referring to such.

In the case of a generally well-off sect, better-paying career options would be available. Traditionally, for instance, Finance & banking in Ireland were protestant-dominated, as was Trinity College (where within living memory even the cleaners used to be protestant), while many of the professions had a much higher proportion of protestants than the 5% or so in the general population. As a child and well into adulthood I attended one of these doctors' practices, and did so very happily until I moved to a different area.

The trend in Ireland that has seen a huge increase in professional services has also seen more people who in an earlier time would have gone into teaching as a respectable, well-paying option now going for better-paying professions in our expanded finance sector, IT and so on. This leaves fewer people available to join the teaching profession. However, catholics make/made up the vast bulk of our working classes, meaning that there is a large cohort of people available to move up and replace the children of the middle class who have moved into finance IT etc; the available working class cohort is much smaller for protestant sects on the southern side of the border.

All of this leaves protestant sects with a small pool of protestants aspiring to be teachers. Which brings me back to my point about WHS jumping at the opportunity to employ a highly motivated person apparently sharing their ethos.

You misunderstand me.

This is not sectarian - except in so far as it is sectarian to be against all sects, catholic, protestant, jewish, muslim, hindu and a long etcetera.

I am also anti-elitist, whether the elite be catholic, protestant, jewish, muslim, hindu and a long etcetera; or even secular, agnostic or atheist.

To keep on topic, plenty of people here have mentioned that Burke is an evangelical protestant; often in a disparaging way - are these people also sectarian? If so, fine. But whatever Burke is, the school also has a specific ethos, and on top of that it is the Diocesan school for the CoI diocese of Meath and Kildare - the ethos is that of a particular sect (CoI) so I suppose you could say that it has a sectarian ethos? So surely the school and its ethos are just as much fair game as Burke is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Anglican_dioceses_in_the_United_Kingdom_and_Ireland#/media/File:Dioceses_of_the_Church_of_Ireland.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭madeiracake

Omg I called my daughter a boy by mistake earlier does that mean she won't be able to have babies?? 😂😂😂😂

What a load of crap. Calling someone by the name/pronoun they choose isn't going to magically change their physical gender. If they decide as an adult to get gender reassignment then let them. It's not an easy life so if using their preferred name/pronoun makes their life a little easier then why would you not. You can have doubts about transgender issues and what's going on pushing the agenda without making one child's life harder. The wider issues are just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭madeiracake

Also using "retardation" is a horrible way to disagree with someone. I don't agree with a lot of the transgender agenda but there are better ways to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

Transgenderism is firmly rooted in the philosophy of subjective reality, where words shape thoughts and thoughts shape reality. To a subjective realist, if they believe they are something or you are something, then that is how they will perceive it.

He said "private schools" protonmike, not "CoI schools". And before you claim anything about his hockey sticks comment, don't many private catholic schools also play hockey?

We all know the legalities here. We all know that Burke could go into court and provide the guarantee he was asked to give.

However it is disingenuous to claim that the pronoun issue is extraneous to the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,715 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Anyone who would use the word "retardation" in a post is just embarrassing themselves really

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

However it is disingenuous to claim that the pronoun issue is extraneous to the matter.

Not according to the courts

You keep trying to say that it is but the facts, as outlined repeatedly, make you look like an idiot. This is despite your repeated attempts to twist the facts.

It's all really simple. Only you and Enoch seem to be struggling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

It was the genesis of the dispute but not the reason he's in jail. He could have entered into conflict resolution mode without ever involving the court. As I and others have said several time before and can not believe on PAGE 63 that we still have to point out.

ALthough I'm guessing that number will get higher.

• Advertisement

You're dead wrong and I've quoted the section of the law which permits schools to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

You don't address someone by their pronouns, you address them by their name.

The rest of your post is... somewhat bizarre. You really think the best approach for someone who is transgender/transitioning is to... keep it entirely private? It's not playing dress-up in your bedroom - it's an important part of your very identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

Unless it was a physics thread and one was referring to negative acceleration, or a biological thread and one was referring to a reduction in growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭stellamere

16 year old are minors. Thet can't drive, drink or enter into legally binding contracts. This fact doesn't seem to bother you.

This isn't some topic where its a case of those mean people not being nice to the children. This is going to ruin people lives as it has in other jurisdiction and it is going to cost the taxpayer a fortune in years to come, when adults will sue the state for its role in permanently altering their bodies in years to come. It's a home run from a legal perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You are not making any sense. Sterilisation isnt happening to minors. Changing the name you use or the pronoun you use isnt altering your body.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Everything you've presented has been complete strawman arguments

• no one's talking about contracts
    • no one's talking about stetilisation
    • no one's talking about ruining people's lives (changing pronouns is not going to ruin your life, ffs!)

Except you.

And on top of that you walk about

• "good reasons" wht kids shouldn't be allowed to change pronouns
    • it ruins peoples lives in other jurisdictions

Without ever actually thinking whether or not these statements are true. And we're just supposed to take your words for it? Do YOU even believe this ****? What reasons? Have you ever heard or read a good reason? Or do you read one story and think that "that's it - everyone's going to be effected the same - I can use this in the threads to prove everything and no one will notice I'm exaggerating and bullshitting?"

Well, we kinda do...

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

And as has been explained multiple times, he was never suspended for refusing.

That tells me that there was room for plenty of dialogue. However, he wanted force his fairytale beliefs on everyone, not just for his to be respected.

The fact you’re in here everyday and have had this explained to you umpteen times tells me you don’t care. You want this to be about pronouns and nothing else.

Firstly, this has no relation to the topic. 16 year olds are allowed to make medical decisions if they're viewed to have the capacity to do so. Secondly, they're not getting sterilized.

Anyway, how does saying "they" sterilise a student? You have as much of an agenda as Enoch by dodging what's A being discussed and instead resorting to rants.

• Advertisement

Swing and a miss. I'm a physics graduate and never heard that word used.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement