Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Biggest issue last year was two centres working together. So if Tom x 2 have resolved that issue we have enough across the park to give Ulster a run for their money. There was a lot of blame attributed to other players last year but if your centres are haemorrhaging the guys behind them don't even know where to start defending

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Shane Jennings as 15 and David Hawkshaw as 13, as interesting calls for Eagles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

David Hawkshaw is on the bench against Ulster. It’s his brother playing for the eagles

Sorry about that

Still fascinated by the idea of Jenning FB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

My only wish is a working defence. Lose or win is irrelevant. Get the defence right. If that happens I am happy. Then it's a really good start

• Advertisement

The result won't suit you then.

With that Ulster backline we'll probably conceed 40+

But we're able to score 4 tries, mostly with forwards

I prefer something like 41-27 with a Try Bonus Point than 17-9 with no point at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Jennings played 15 in school, but not since from what I have seen. According to a poster on the Leinster thread the fullback last week had a very tough game, so this could be a case of shoring up the backfield rather than a more permanent change for Jennings. He certainly has the skillset though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Going to be a long season on this evidence.

Early days and the season could prove me wrong yet but have to hope the IRFU haven’t done any contract renewals for coaching staff as they did with Van Graan last summer. Munster got out of that when Bath came in, I don’t think anyone will be doing likewise for Friend or Wilkins.

Based on tonight we are looking at a four or five win season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Haven't seen us look so bad with ball in hand in years.

• Advertisement

Conceded 30+ in nine league games last season including 35 at home to Dragons and Edinburgh seconds putting 55 on the scoreboard away in especially humiliating defeats.

Nothing changes under Friend. A clear out of the coaching staff at the end of the season is my main hope for the season right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Maul defense awful.

Discipline awful.

Handling awful.

Hard to see any positive tonight.

I’m sure the usual spin of “a lot of learnings” will be trotted out. Friend seems like a decent guy and all but all patience for that bullshit expired long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭testtech05

Only positive for me was I thought Murphy played pretty well, best of a bad lot maybe but definitely showed the most of the new signings.

Very poor performance overall though and could be a long 5 weeks for us.....

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Ironic that we were torn a ew one, but not in the way we expected. I thought Ulster's threat would be out wide, but it was in the tight. Unpofrtunately it appears we will spend the season dreading scrums, and the only way to mitigate that is impeccable handling in possession - but there were a lot of knock ons tonight.

I felt we looked better once Blade and Hawkshaw came on, they gave us some purpose and momentum. Likewise thought DTM was good, and Murphy very good, and I prefer Murray to Fifita every time.

Don't despair, we're better than this, and the return of Jack and our international cohort will make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Find to hard to understand how winning or losing is irrelevant. Sounds like throwing in the towel before the match starts.

Post edited by Digifriendly on

One positive? No major injury appearently..

Farrell tried to survive decently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

The penalty that led up to the first try was a strange decision by the Ref, usually it's offensive team that are penalised for off their feet or going in from side. Porch came down cleanly enough placed the ball and defenders got in position to protect the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mackattack11

hard Watch, heffernan hasn’t been playing at a decent level for about a year and TOH, great servant to Connacht but it’s time to hang up the boots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Very bad news coming before the end of the year if you, like myself, had skepticism about Wilkins being the guiding light of Connacht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Wilkinson and Friend need to be gone. Friend hanging it on the players again in the post game interview. You cannot blame the players everytime there is a big defeat. The book stops at him and he can't get the message across its his fault.

Murphy as expected gave us the dog that's badly needed. 10 could be an issue now if only Forde and Hackshaw available. Both very inexperienced going to South A. Hopefully Fitzgeralds injury is not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

That was tough to sit through. Ulster away isn't a match you expect much from the best day ever but the nature of that performance was very worrying given the upcoming schedule.

As usual there was lots of positive vibes coming from the camp during the week about how the coaches have Bern empowered and all thus no sense. Also saying this is the start you want that Ulster wouldn't want to play us first up and it's the best time to catch the South Africans etc. I think it was the ideal game for ulster they didn't need to over extend themselves and picked up as easy a 5 points as will be offered all season.

After 1 game it looks almost certain we won't be anywhere near the play offs again. Call me negative if you want but its an uphill task for the play offs even with a strong well drilled team. This team is a mess. The internationals will improve us but other teams have far more ammunition to come back into the fold and getting close to the 50 or so points needed is very difficult. If this team reaches 30 that'll be about the height of it.

What frustrated me most was the period from just before half time til 60 mins or so. That 2nd try was shameful for a professional team to give away but at 14-3 just after half time you have to try dig in and keep yourself in the match. What followed after half time was absolutely shocking indiscipline that to me hints at there being zero leadership within that group. Indiscipline let us down so often last year and to come into our first game of the new season and start losing all control at the first sign of trouble says to me that nothing has changed. One losing BP in all of last season and its clear to see that in games where we aren't on top that's not going to change.

Looking at Cardiff earlier in the day they'll be significantly better this year. Treviso hammered Glasgow and Zebre gave Leinster a good scare. The teams above us are moving ahead and the teams behind excluding maybe Dragons are progressing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Pack 3/10

Backs 6/10

Pack beaten in set piece provided no ball and conceded so many penalties that the game was never in doubt.

I liked the defensive structure and thought we got off the line well and generally tackled well.

Think we might be short of a 2, 3, 8 and 15

Seemed to be leaning that way with him brought on Ireland tour over the summer.

Would be a shocking appointment. I don’t think Nucifora/IRFU are overly concerned about provincial performances and they seem to take easy option all the time eg renewing Graan last summer. A shortsighted approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Poor scrum.

Poor Lineout.

Poor handling.

Poor maul defence.

Terrible discipline.

Any line breaks in the game ?

No go forward ball, never in their 22 for the first half, only twice in the second half.

Ulster only had one warm up game and I genuinely thought we might be in with a shout.

Really worried for this season based on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Very tough watch....few enough positives.

Thought the attitude in defence was good, score got so high as we had no attacking threat, could barely win a line-out and had awful discipline. You can't spend the whole game defending and expect much.

Murphy was excellent.

Like the look of Hawkshaw, should be ahead of fitzty.

Yeah TBF 0-0 after 25 was a sign of improvement in our defense.

Outpowered but conceeded few linebreaks

1 positive stat in this nightmare :

178 tackles made, 92% success rate

Heff 15/0

Thornbury 16/0

Fifita'a 16/0

Hurley-Langton 12/1 (in 39 minutes)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'm pretty sure the province's CEO and board have more to do with appointing the coaches than Nucifora and the irfu.

Not sure Wilkins being brought on the Summer tour means a whole lost. ROG went on one one time as a coach. Maybe he was there for coaching lessons (not that it would make a huge difference) or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

So did Felix Jones but it is usually a sign of trying to nurture and advance from within.

Agreed though Nucifora doesn’t appoint the coaches but he would rubber stamp them.

• Advertisement

Connacht squad named for the trip to SA. https://www.connachtrugby.ie/travelling-squad-named-for-dhl-stormers-fixture-in-cape-town/

Strong squad with Bealham, Bundee and Mack all included.

They've also included the four who are in the Emerging Ireland squad, who are available for the Stormers game and then join up with the Irish squad afterwards in Bloemfontein (despite the whining last week about "disastrous" this tour was for Connacht). They'll add more players then to the squad the following week for the Bulls game.

Forwards (17)

Jack Aungier

Finlay Bealham

Ciaran Booth

Paul Boyle

Denis Buckley

Jarrad Butler

Peter Dooley

Oisín Dowling

Leva Fifita

Dave Heffernan

Shamus Hurley-Langton