Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Acres scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭mayota

A solar powered drinking trough is one of the non productive investments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭amacca

Thought I heard them say there would be grant aid for stuff like that up to 3k

One of the speakers said they would have a list of potrntially up to 50

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭amacca

Was about planting actions...are they considered forestry and then that bit of land has to remain planted beyond the 5 years or lose all payment....or is just length of contract

Was wondering about existing high hedge but with short bits can you coppice short bits but get full length of hedge...what kind of fencing spec (so I could estimate cost), ill have to ask that too...bit of a stinker existing good stuff on the land doesn't get paid.....you'd think they would pay you to fence of existing good stuff etc....benign or even helping hand type action

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Can you give me that in writing please and post the link. I listened to the webinar tonight and they said all of your land will be inspected for indicators

Nothing in ACRES for new entrants . Any of you guys who spent €thousands on Green Certs and solicitor fees for transfer of farms will have a long time to wait to recoup it through ACRES. Even if you took over the farm late last year you will not be eligible until the next ACRES which will start in 2024. Those representing young farmers must have been asleep

• Advertisement

I watched the webinar and I don't think it would have encouraged anyone to join ACRES . They are still fine tuning the scheme , they don't have the app ready for the planners and yet expect the planners to have all their participant farms fully inspected and plans in by Jan 1st... It will be easy to find the negative indicators anytime of the year , but you would have some search for positive indicators in December

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Looking at the webinar, the phrase a pig in a poke came to mind.

They kept going on about commonage and the co-op approach to the point where there was little enough about the general approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭893bet

https://assets.gov.ie/231431/67197a34-27f4-45c4-b712-a5ff1316dffd.pdf

Full details on page 61. Same as Reap from what I can interpret…….except half the money the bastards.

The PIs are just on that 10ha. And yes should be across the field (same as reap or at least that’s how my accessor explained it, he specifically mentioned they were told to ignore the indicators near the headlands.

Ok. Would be great if you are correct. My planner and both inspectors are viewing the ACRES very different to REAP.

That’s only a draft document. So unless they are getting a different story in there training,

Would be very harsh to assess whole farm but only pay on 10ha. On other parts of the farm you may have wild bird cover or a catch crop so couldn’t have the PIs on that parts etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

No reply maybe we have no commonage. farmers on here

Afraid I cannot understand reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Packrat

Commonage farmer here, - I previously was giving out about the scheme because it appeared as if organic guys would get only buttons.

The devil is in the detail and Ml Fitzmaurice said it best the other day when he said that the scheme requires acres.

I have about the right amount of owned land to get almost the full organic payment.

On top of that I have commonage (which can't be claimed for organic) which my planner thinks will net me around 7k under acres in the cooperation zone.

Further, I have Dexter Cattle which might qualify me for a further maybe 3 to 3.5 k under rare breeds in Acres so I potentially might be one of the few in the country to draw down close to the full possible payment of 10.5 k

Its a shitshow of a scheme for 90%of farmers.

Small acreage: poor payment

Intensive/productive: poor payment and too many restrictions.

Organic: Poor payment unless you happen to also have commonage and be in cooperation zone.

It benefits me but it's a very unfair scheme.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Yes you are very lucky the way your land is set up.Michael Fitrmaurice is very well up in all things farming. I believe his comment on contract reading was excellent.He said it was short term gain for long term pain. My main problem with commonage. Part of acres is it some people don't stock it and get paid like glass

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

It looks to me like a lot of beef and sheep farmers are being ‘encouraged’ to skip acres and go organic instead. It would be a win win for government, cattle numbers would drop, so methane would reduce. They have a target of 7.5% of land to go organic, currently I think only 2% of Irish farmland is organic. They have a budget of €250 million for organic and can get more from EU. AFAIK acres is 70% funded by the exchequer.

If you are already organic acres is really only limited to tree planting or hedges plus a barn owl box. Unless you want to reduce some of your organic payment . Trees are good for carbon capture. Now we have a proposal that high carbon soils can’t be ploughed. But what is high carbon, 5% 10% 80% ?

We could probably have a Green Party minister for aggravation in the shake up later this year.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Putting in a green minister for agriculture would be a calculated risk for FF and FG.

They would likely lose a lot of farmers votes but would they retain enough urban votes in the constituencies outside the cities.

It does look like the aim is to reduce the national herd but by incentivising rather than mandatory cuts. The problem is they've been too ambitious.

If you have less than 50 acres are you really going to plant 100 trees to get in. How much ground will that take up.

Then extensive grazing is poor enough payment but the low input grassland they're going to deduct marks for thistles, nettles and docks.

Being realistic about it to get rid of those will need spray a couple of years running. However the spray will also kill the positive indicators making it harder to improve the score in a 5 year scheme so probably a poor payment unless you don't have any but a lot of the less managed ground in West have them to some degree.

You can't opt to plant hedges next to the neighbour because you only have access on one side. That rules out a lot of where you might consider planting a hedge.

Organics requires a higher degree of management. It makes it a harder sell to the part time farmer initially anyway. Then there's the market for organic produce. Is the market there for a premium product or will your organic beef and lamb be sold the at the same price regardless. I think it's the latter. Would you be bothered unless you were of sufficient scale to make the organic payment worthwhile if there is no increase in value of your produce. Reduced fertiliser costs are less of a factor where you are only spreading a couple of tonnes a year anyway.

On the other hand if you have sufficient scale would you be any better off organic with less output but maybe less cost.

On the organics course we were advised two things. It's a great scheme if you have scale. If you think you're going to make your fortune with organic beef or lamb, think again.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eire23

Would organics not require good land as well. Would a lot of average land in the west go to ruin of it went into organics?

Define ruin?

It won’t be lush grass land with out the magic bag but Keep it grazed. Top weeds at the right time and the land will be fine.

• Advertisement

Who is the target for that scheme then.

According to the link 43% of farms are less than 20 hectares. The majority of those are in the border Midlands and west (which are more likely to be beef and lamb) where as the south and east have larger farms (where there is more dairy and tillage).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://assets.gov.ie/88632/eff46189-8124-4072-9526-c49f995833b9.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi1ioS7r576AhXTg1wKHaWhBfQQFnoECEoQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1NoosemsCU2iXkFSdzXfnO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Packrat

Exactly. It was green long before the almighty bag. With proper management it can be (a bit less because we dont have an army to micro manage it) green again.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eire23

Rushes thistles nettles and other sh1te? Land would be ok for a while but once p' and k's start slipping land looses it's power imo and it will take a lot of money to put it right down the road.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

J O I don’t think ffg give a toss about rural votes anymore, never mind farmers votes. Just look at where ministers are from.

On the 50 acres one you would probably be better off in acres below 50 and organic if you have more than 50, I can’t work out where the sweet spot is on that one. Commonage definitely acres is better.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Jim Simmental

it is looking like the best thing for these farms might be to avoid ACRES and organic at that scale/size and if you made a good loss on farm and get tax from the day job wouldn’t it be as good any scheme (for 2 years anyway 😅)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭anthony500_1

Have not been on in a while, but checked in today after being at the AETS day during the week to see what lads were thinking up and down the country.

Think it will suit my farm, and I think I will apply for it, I'm in West Galway no commanage and I'll be in teir 1 have rare breeds already so can't see to much change really as far as my set up goes. I've not been in any other schemes before so the carrot of upto 10k being dangled is very tempting

Not 100% sure on actions I'll be taking yet from what I've seen.

On a side note the 2 new things lads will need to get your new renamed bps going forward, i think it's called biis or something like that are available

The GAEC 8 contribution figures and Eco scheme figures are up on agfood. You go in through the bps section and it's there.

The target is to get Ireland's area of organically farmed land to 7%, from 2%, so the target is area, not farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,547 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

In Acres “topping at the right time” won’t be possible as they want everything to seed before you cut/top anything

The area is farmed by farmers though. If you want to get another 5% of land into organic farming you need to target the farmers farming that land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

FG and FF have no interest in farmers, big or small, beef, tillage or dairy.

Nor do they hide it, mad to think people still imagine otherwise.

Advertisement