Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build €1000 up to €1500.

Options
  • 09-08-2022 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? Ideally around €1000 but with some wiggle room. I would be willing to go above budget if there was a significant difference but would like to keep below €1500.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? General Daily Internet/Office Use , running a couple of VMs / Media / Plex Server and Casual Gaming (Retro emulators) and mainstream newer games.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No, I will source this separately.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes, a few old Sata HDDs for mass storage.

5. Do you need a monitor? No I currently alternate between a 1440p 60hz 27" Monitor and a 40" 1080p TV but will soon hope to upgrade to a 4K TV roughly the same size.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No these I either have or will source separately

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes but I don't think I'll need to overclock the CPU/GPU but maybe as it gets a bit older but will most likely enable XMP on the RAM.

8. How can you pay? Any method really

9. When are you purchasing? Any time between now and the end of the year / Sooner If my current setup kicks the bucket.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Don't need help building but I am based in the Republic and Northern Ireland so EU and UK Markets are available. Happy to mix and match if it gets the cost down.

At the moment I am using a combination of a Lenovo Y510p Laptop (i7 4700MQ , 16GB RAM, 2x GT755m SLI) with an Xbox One. Both of which are pretty old and have some issues so I'm thinking of replacing both with one PC.

It will be mainly used for day to day browsing / Media Consumption and running a Plex / Media Server and a couple of VMs. Then when i get a break from adult life and I get time it will be used for casual gaming too. Play a good few retro games through emulators but also newer AAA games mostly Halo Infinite, E-Sports titles and some RPGs. Given I'm still likely playing most of my games at native 720p upscaled to 1080p one the Xbox one, I don't need the most cutting edge graphics details but future-proofing would be great if i did change to 4k.

My main goal for this PC is for it to last 5-7 years without needing much upgrading so why I'm willing to pay extra up front to accomplish this now.

I have a pretty good knowledge of the industry and used to be pretty active here back a few years ago but this was when the 3570k was the go-to CPU. I am a little out of touch with some of the current hardware and where to buy parts (The last PC i built I got all the parts from Hardwareversand.de which is now a distant memory) but know generally what I need but I find it hard to make decisions (especially about which CPU and GPU, Intel 12th Gen / AMD 5000 or wait for 6000. NVIDIA / AMD GPU and if I go 12th Gen DDR4 or DDR5 RAM) to fit my budget. Also I'm not really too knowledgeable on the various options of NVME SSDs or the current crop of motherboard chipsets so would need a bit of help in this regards.

I would like it to be as quiet as possible but the PC will be kept in a room with a fairly high ambient temperature so a case with good ventilation and cooling is a must. For the case I love the design of Fractal Design Torrent (Especially the Nano) but not sure I can justify the price in my budget so would probably go for a Corshair 4000D Airflow or Fractal Design Meshify C or something similar that has good ventilation / cooling options. I was thinking of going the Air Cooling Route with a Noctua DH15 or Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 etc... not really interested in water-cooling but an AIO would be ok. Dark themed would be my preference and RGB is here nor there. if it's there grand if it's not grand will most likely be off anyway 90% of the time.

Will try get an 850w modular PSU if possible too with higest efficient i can fit . I've had Be Quiet! PSUs in the past that have been good.

Built in Bluetooth would be a bonus but could settle for a dongle if needs be.

I appreciate any help and thanks in advance :-)

U_Fig

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/xn8V2m

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor (€308.63 @ Amazon Deutschland)

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer A35 A-RGB CPU Cooler (€35.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570S UD ATX AM4 Motherboard (€171.37 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€107.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€87.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card (€380.51 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh C RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (€128.63 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Power Supply: EVGA 210-GQ-0750-V1 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€79.81 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Total: €1299.75

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-09 18:34 CEST+0200

--

5700X 8-core/16thread CPU for your VM needs.

Freezer A35 is one of the best budget coolers. AFAIK simply don't connect the RGB header and it will run without lights.

X570S motherboard as I've read the B550 chipset doesn't play well with VMs.

32GB RAM.

RX 6650XT is probably the best-value GPU around right now. Regular RX 6600 (non-XT) is not bad at around 300euro

Lancool II Mesh as it's a great case that's easy to build in & has nice 3.5" caddies.

750W PSU from EVGA with 5yr warranty. There are models with longer warranty / more power for 20-40eur more.

Post edited by K.O.Kiki on

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

May be worth waiting for new upcoming releases of CPUs and GPUs. CPUs probably September/October time. GPUs probably Q3 but I'm not sure specifically

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

They will not be as cheap as these components.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Jon Doe

They won't. But once the new lineup hits the market, these component's prices will drop.

Advertisement