Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2022 - Here we go again! - **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

If there's Guinness at it, it will be a decent pint, the bar manager for the festival is a barman in my local and he's an absolute Guinness head, he's from Roscommon as well so won't want to let the side down.

Just don't ask him for Orchard thieves, he'd probably throw you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Mucker46

I would love there to be Guinness there but not expecting it. I will only ask for OT if nothing else drinkable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

• Registered Users Posts: 12,548 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Haven't seen any reviews for the Khruangbin Irish gig at all and they were one of the best acts there.

Edit: Come across an earlier March review from IT.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Always heard great things about it, though mainly from people who took young kids along.

It's a great wee festival. Weather was very kind this year. Portaloos were pristine!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I definitely like the look and sound of it. Lineup not to my taste this year but still enough to enjoy. Stendhal in Limavady is the smaller fest that most appeals, Night & Day, Doolin Folk and the Emo Forest Fest also.

I have my tickets for next year for Stendhal already!

• Advertisement

I caught the short doc of the 2019 (?) fest and it looked great. The guys who run it seemed really sound, I love that they offer cheaper tickets (on trust) for unemployed/long-term ill, etc and there's always an interesting lineup. Can't make next year but hoping for 2024 and I may take kids, there seems to be lots to do there away from the music.

It's a good bit bigger than Vantastival...but still pretty small...if that makes any sense!

Just got pictures from night and day site. Zoomed in on bar local beers and bulmers. Two up on EP already.

Enjoyable first day, lots of meet ups with Cofeeimpala. Will give a full update tomorrow but choice of 7/8 beers, no noise bleed issues and good vibe so pretty good. Also no checks coming out of campsite, as witnessed by Coffeeimpala's impressive array of cans

Lemonheads were superb doing It's a Shame About Ray last night in Galway. Evan acoustic followed by thee band doing the full album and then a lengthy encore which included much of Come on Feel......Circa 30 tracks in all.

Never a huge fan but they were on great form, band including the great drummer from Swervedriver, and a thrill to see them in a rammed venue with less than 400 people. Hopefully they'll be doing fests in 2023. Selling out the Roundhouse and other decently-sized venues should ensure that plenty of promoters would give them decent festival slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Stillill42

That sounds great Seath. Evan has a somewhat up and down reputation as a live performer. Glad he was at it last night.

Has been throughout the tour from what I've read. Best i've ever seen them. He's 55 now so erratic performances mean less bookings and unpaid bills. Belfast tonight then they depart the island but I reckon they'll be back soonish.

I've a mate at the Belfast gig. I'll report back tomorrow.

Apparently it was great. Wee bit of SLF and Undertones thrown in to please the locals 😁

• Advertisement

Gram Parsons and John Prine covers in Galway. Great setlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭endainoz

No messing here with delaying announcements, pity more wouldn't follow their lead.

For anyone interested here is my review of night and day that I put up on the night and day boards

• Saturday
    • Wanting to be there for the very start I headed in early and was a bit shocked at the gate when names were being checked off a list as nothing to scan tickets and wristbands were sticky ones that you put on yourself, so old school but made it seem like a good old festival from the off. I got a pint of bulmers with my pre- bought tokens into my pre bought reusable cup, it was the business of a cup as fit in my pocket when empty, and headed to catch the very first act ever to perform at Night and Day, a crown she will hold forever no matter what happens in the future. I felt for her as besides the stage manager and the sound guy I was the only person in the tent when she came on. However, enthusiastic strumming of her ukulele, or a very small guitar i am no expert, and a slowed down cover version of don't look back in anger drew people in and by the time she finished I had been joined by about 30 more and it was a decent start. While it probably cant be helped the tent support right in front middle of the stage was a bit annoying for me and I would say the acts also, only a small gripe. Keen to try out the local Black Donkey beer I headed to their tent, personally think their pitch was put too far out of the way however was always people there when i went fora pint. I was given a really interesting description of their beers and I settled on a Sheep Stealer, described by the brewer as "what a lager wants to be when it grows up". It was really tasty and that was the end of my token usage that day, they only accepted cash or card, how old fashioned. I then headed off to see Amy Montgomery for my first visit to the main stage. What a ball of energy she is. She sounded quite a bit different to what I had heard on Spotify. Was going to leave half way through to see Jester but as I left she started playing the songs from Spotify and roped me back in. She was class. Really liked the main tent and judging from the camera work there will be plenty for the series on TG4. Next up were Barefoot on carpet who were the winners of the song contest run by the festival. Having listened to them on Spotify I was really looking forward to seeing them live and they did not disappoint, I would highly recommend a listen. Caught a bit of AE Mak but she is not what she used to be which is a pity. Rossa Murray and the blowin winds were next and while keeping me interested didn't excite me too much. A bit of pulled beef in cornbread from the Latino Street food stall, very tasty, and chips with burger sauce from the imaginatively named Chips n Dips, soaked up some beer creating room for more Sheep Stealer. Though not a big fan went to see the Mary Wallopers as nothing else tickled my fancy. They got a good buzz going but not for me. Then two of my must sees Paddy Dennehy and John Grant. Had never heard of Paddy before he was announced for this festival but there is something about his voice and songs I love and he was brilliant live ( if anyone knows where i could get a copy of his CD (i am old school) please let me know. There was a great atmosphere in the tent and defo one of my highlights of the festival. John Grant I knew well but had never seen live and I was totally blown away by him. His voice is unreal and I reckon if he sang the yellow pages, remember them, I would be enthralled. My absolute highlight of the festival from a music perspective. Although not a Villagers fan I stayed around for them but they didn't do enough for me so my tiredness won out and I headed off to the B&B. One of the funniest stories happened just before Villagers as I got chatting to a girl in the pizza queue that was eating sorbet. Asked her how she was to which she replied a bit better now but was annoyed after having to queue for 20 minutes for cocktails. Having not known there were cocktails on sale I asked where and she pointed at the food truck. I said but that's an ice cream truck to which she responded "I know that now".
    • I had a thoroughly enjoyable first day and have to say that my fellow festival goers and all those working there were such a friendly, helpful and class crowd that the vibe all day really made it memorable.
    • Sunday
    • First up were Bury me with my money, the cocktail girl was the girlfriend of the lead singer, so caught up with her again. Apparently nice and all as the sorbet was its not an effective hangover cure. Was looking forward to the band and in particular the song Marmite however felt they were a bit flat and they didn't play Marmite. I was back on the Bulmer's, not because anything wrong with Sheep Stealer but had to spend my pre-purchased tokens and those given to me by @CoffeeImpala (a fellow EP boardsie who I have seen a lot of between EP And this). He had spares as he enjoyed the unofficial free-flow policy that included some 10.2% beer for breakfast on Sunday. On then to Arlene, while not my cup of tea she has great energy and huge potential in her genre. From here on in it was some really class music by well known Irish bands with a few newbies thrown in. To my mind most of the Sunday line up would grace any festival. Caught Soda Blonde live for my first time. What a voice she has and she commanded the stage. Some great sing alongs which was a great boost early in the day. Caught a bit of Patrick Stefan and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. At this point the Luna stage times were well out which resulted in some gaps and some unintended clashes. Next up Columbia Mills who I have seen 7 or 8 times and once again they did not disappoint. Was a smallish crowd and I noticed that the numbers were definitely down on Saturday's numbers. A quick burger from Feoil, really tasty, before Houseplants. Was a bit worried for this as I am a big BellX1 fan but they always disappoint me live so wondered would it be different for Paul Noonan under this band. It most certainly was, they were brilliant and had a very enthusiastic crowd singing along. Paul looked like he was genuinely loving it. Due to the Luna timetable issues my big clash of Houseplants and Maija Sofia was somewhat fixed and I caught the end of Maija which thankfully included The wife of Michael Cleary. Back to the main stage for Cathy Davey who I had consistently missed over the years until EP this year. I thought she was really good there but was even better at Night and Day. Her voice is so powerful yet soft and she put on a great gig. Caught a few songs from A Smyth and he was a lot better than I expected. Was very keen to see the Wood Burning Savages but the timing issues meant only got half of them as I headed back to see Orla Gartland. To be honest TWBS had too much political rhetoric between sings for my liking. I agreed with a lot of what was being said but not what I want at a music gig. As for Orla I first saw her a number of years ago at Kaleidoscope festival and while I thought she had a good voice and songs she lacked stage presence. This gig and her EP one showed that is no longer the case she is becoming a force on the stage. Another who looked like she was having a ball. Next up were Jealous of the Birds who don't really do it for me but as there was nothing else on the dry and warmth of a tent was a big lure I was pleasantly surprised by them and enjoyed their gig. A quick chicken burger, the last one from Feoil, big shout out to the man who ordered a double burger but changed to a single when realising only three burgers left and didnt want to hog them. Off then to the closing act The Zutons. Always thought they were a decent band without being a massive fan but given the opportunity to see them I was more than happy to go along. It was very clear at this stage the numbers had dropped dramatically and I would say a few hundred at most were around for a band that probably cost the organisers a lot of money. There was also a lot of chat during this, lots of drink on board people at this stage, which was a bit annoying but the band put on a great show and the finish of Valerie and You will you won't was epic.
    • My festival ended there and I have to say it was a brilliant weekend. At some stage I will do the good and things to improve lists but have written enough tonight.
    • Will I go again? If the music is to my liking most definitely and I really hope it continues

Excellent review Mucker, some great stuff to be seen there and yes, John Grant is always excellent. His set at EP 2013 one of the best I've seen there and for me even better than the David Byrne/St. Vincent set that weekend. The crowd was going nuts throughout. Alas it clashed with much of Bjork so many people missed it. I love her but find her setlists mediocre. The version of Glacier below in my top few Picnic moments.

Love the local craft beer and freeflow at Night & Day. Hate the tokens. An encumbrance, you end up with too few or too many and are under pressure to offload them. May joiin you there some year but the timing after EP and near the start of the school year......

Sounds like a great festival!

The Wood Burning Savages have always had a political slant and they're not afraid to vocalise it, both musically and verbally between songs. It's what they do. No different to other bands such as Rage Against The Machine. It wouldn't put me off. They were deadly at Vantastival.

Same here, I only wish there was much more political input from our artists.

In their songs I am all for it at a gig between songs less so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

If anyone gets a chance to see Karma Police, do so. Saw them last week in Portlaoise and they were very good. I'll probably see them again in Kilkenny in December.

For anyone interested night and day festival moved to lough key forest Park and June 24-25 next year.

• Advertisement

So what is the view of the first announcement? Delighted to see idles and gladly see a few of the others

Advertisement