Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone explain this to me?

Options
  • 14-09-2022 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Seven TDs declare rental properties but no landlord income on Dáil register https://jrnl.ie/5864805

Does this article essentially say that these politicians properties are registered as rental properties, but they don't declare any rental income from them, and obviously don't pay tax on any rental income (if they are being rented out, contrary to what they have stated) Apologies if it's obvious, I just think it's so shocking, it can't be this easy for them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

The article is only about the TDs declaration of interests. In their declaration of interests they are supposed to list property interests and rental income over €2600. 8 TDs listed that they owned property, but did not declare income on the declaration of interests.

It means they either have a rental property that is being left vacant, a rental property where they are allowing someone (say a relative) to stay rent free (or at a very low rate), or (as is most likely) they filled in the declaration of interests incorrectly.

It does not mean they are not tax compliant. It more than likely just means they didn't complete their form correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

"It more than likely just means they didn't complete their form correctly."

Thats a very polite way of saying they lied on the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Did you read the article? At least one TD was saying that information they completed on the physical form hasn’t been entered into the online database.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Is there any sanction for not filling out the form correctly or declaring you interests/income? If not, sure what does anyone expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

It's been hearsay and rumour for many years that TD's are very much invested in the property rental sector and that many government decisions are made in favour of this vested interest . The recent stories on this same topic now prove there is much truth in the rumours and yet we allow it to go on. That's corruption right there if you could prove that a criminal offence has taken place as opposed to "I forgot to fill out the forms". The reason they do this is because they have inside information on how the system works and where it can be exploited and how not to get "caught". This is probably one of the main reasons that many individuals choose to become TD's in the first place, a nice seat on the gravy train and an electorate that so far has not insisted on the highest standard of ethics for this well paid important job.

It may seem that this corrupt practice has not very far reaching effects beyond the landlord and tenant but the complete shambles that is our housing crisis is built on this type of corruption.

We had similar rumours on the carry on of some clergy for decades that also we turned a blind eye to that also and now look at the mess it left behind.

If it was me in charge I'd fire every last one of them and we'd soon have a government cabinet worthy of the office and finally a chance to progress as a nation instead of the current rot and stagnation.

• Advertisement

Out of interest, what government decisions have been made in favour of Landlords? Would that be Rent Pressure Zones, increased notice to tenants, removing eviction at the end of a part 4 tenancy, anti-discrimination against HAP recipients.... If they are trying to improve things for landlords because they are landlords, they are going about it in a funny way. Government decisions on the rental market are so pro-landlord, many landlords are exiting the market - a sure sign this is landlords looking after their own self interest while in government.

If you are trying to be corrupt, declaring you own a rental property and then not declaring the rental income is a pretty daft way of hiding something. I reckon its more about a lack of care when completing the form, than a grand conspiracy to mislead. If its deliberate, its very dim.

IMHO, the failings of the property market has been caused by governments trying to do what is popular in stead of what is right. Politicians care more about being re-elected than their sideline landlording.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

All of this rubbish about politicians and property is just begrudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Not really when you have a recent case of a politician who sold a property to a local authority 4 or 5 years ago, and despite increases in the market over that time, no comparable house has made the same over that time period.

Was it the same politician, or a different one, who was also shown to have been using Dail to ask questions related to rules that affected them directly, without having disclosed same?

If you elect a politician to represent the community interest, then you'd be entitled to be pis$ed off if that politician instead uses up all their time on trying to improve only their own financial interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Please explain why "it's more than likely just means they didn't complete their form correctly"

There are 3 logical possibilities.

Possibility 1 - they were inept or careless or there was an admin error. i.e. there was a mistake

Possibility 2 - they were accurate and truthful. They are charging rent below 2,600 or leaving the property vacant etc.

Possibility 3 - they were deliberately trying to mislead or hide something.

If you are going for possibility 3, then declaring you own a rental property, and not declaring the rental income, is a poor attempt to mislead. Of all the politicians I've met, I wouldn't rate many as the brightest bulb in the pack, but I never met any that would be this stupid - especially not 8 of them.

As for Possibility 2. Maybe in 1 or 2 cases, but 8 landlords leaving rental property vacant out of less than 50. I reckon thats also unlikely.

This leave possibility 1. In my view, thats the most likely explanation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement