Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭Villa05

I'd be very surprised if SF allowed a 0 tax policy on investment funds

I agree they have a place in the market but we are really asking for trouble when they are dominant

Would you dis/agree that we are firmly in bubble territory? I think we need a crash now to minimise future damage. Hard to tell what rising rates will do. Will it divert the funds elsewhere or will it eliminate their competition ie ftb's in completely dominating the housing market. I fear the latter

Politicians will Need security when door to door canvassing for next election

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Timing belt

I agree that prices are not sustainable over the long term but can’t see it improving when the backlog of housing needs never gets touched due to an ever increasing population.

I wouldn’t count on a housing crash because they are not that common and the one we did see was due to exceptional circumstances. A perfect storm of over supply combined with a credit crunch none of those exist at the moment. What I do see happening once the supply issue gets sorted is a long period where price plateau…

At the current rate we would need to be building 60k a year to make any difference to price and the first sign of prices stabling will be when there are more properties to rent than required only then will renters be able to negotiate lower rent and pressure to buy reduce.

with regards SF policy there is no chance that they would be able to implement what they say and will be forced to move more to the centre unless they are willing to accept only one term in power. They make a lot of noise and give sound bites that people fall for but if you read any of there alternative budgets you can see fast that they won’t work. Just look at the number of houses they say they will deliver and look at the money allocated it works out at something stupid like 120k per house. So unless you truly believe that the can build for that price it means they will massively overshoot the budget or deliver way less.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,631 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

When this figure was quoted earlier in the week I asked did it include council and housing association rentals and I was replied to that not was private rentals only. 54% including LA and housing association would indicate that HAP and RAS are only effecting less than 25% of the private rental market.

Slava Ukrainii

No where did I say that the supply of housing depends on them being allowed to complete against individual buyers…what I said is they they are the source of finance for 99% of all building in Ireland as banks won’t lend any meaningful amounts to developers due to the capital costs.

There is a place for institutional investors in the housing market. At present they are the main supply of rental properties without them we would have a real housing crisis.

Should they have a monopoly absolutely not..that is where we are headed though And something needs to change but we need to be careful with any changes as it needs to be targeted and not make the housing situation worse than it already is.

That is close to the figures quoted in the article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You are talking nonsense. You do not have to buy something you funded and paid for. There are many reports of developers selling near completed projects to funds, which means those funds did not provide the financing and that the banks will provide funding to developers.

"A global investment company has been involved in the acquisition of a new development of 112 houses in north Dublin in order to rent them out.

Round Hill Capital is the same company which also bought most of the houses in a Maynooth, Co Kildare, housing estate." https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/investment-firms-buy-estate-of-112-new-houses-in-dublin-to-rent-out-1.4554949

"Vulture funds 'spreading their wings' and snapping up property all across the State

Investment firms are buying homes in Waterford, Cork, Limerick and Galway, the Dáil heard ...

"In 2019, six out of 10 new homes in Dublin were taken off the market and the vast majority were sold to the investment funds. Indeed, in the last four weeks, 400 houses have been snapped up by these funds,” she said.

“They are not stopping with Dublin; their plan is now to spread their wings across the State. These investment funds are now moving to Waterford, Cork, Limerick and Galway, with leading developers saying that they will be selling more than 40% of their new homes to these funds in the years ahead." https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40286690.html

"Institutional investors are now the main buyers of apartments in Dublin; they are also paying - on average - more than household purchasers." https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/2022/06/12/are-property-funds-turning-us-into-a-nation-of-renters/

"One of Ireland’s biggest housebuilders has sold a block of 90 apartments in Dublin to a German pension fund.

Glenveagh Properties announced yesterday that it sold the development at Herbert Hill in Dundrum for €55 million. A report published this week showed that investment funds had snapped up hundreds of apartments across Ireland in the first nine months of the year.

Glenveagh did not name the investor the bought the block at Herbert Hill but it is understood that the buyer is Realis, a German pension fund."

Provide some links proving that banks won't lend for large scale property development projects, except to large property funds. I have posted multiple examples disproving your assertion, but go on.

have a look at the banks balance sheets and see how much lending they are providing developers if you think I’m talking nonsense…..

why would banks lend to developers in significant amounts when they need to hold more capital that the amount they have lent. you can do your homework look up CRDIV regulation imposed on banks with the main aim to prevent a crash like 08.

just because a fund provides financing for a development doesn’t mean the development can’t be sold to a different fund. Is that really that hard to get your head around?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,078 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There are none so blind as those who will not see. FFS, how many more links proving you wrong do you want?

how exactly am I wrong?

Do you think banks are providing funding to developers? You do realise that their are multiple types of funds…real estate, equity, debt, private equity, fund of funds etc. The majority of the banks exposure to developers is when they come in and sub partipate in the investment once it is up and running or buy some form of subordinate debt from a fund.

how hard is it to understand that funds buy and sell to each other?

all you posted are links saying funds purchased….every man and their dog knows that….it proves f all….

99% of funding to developers come me from investors with the majority via funds…. Probably some that you have contributed to if you have a pension or any form of insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

Patience, Timing Belt, it's playing out now. I've always said to wait a year after COVID to see how it plays out because the reason nothing had happened during COVID was due to the sensational government support for all sectors of the economy - businesses were literally getting paid to not trade and workers getting paid for doing absolutely nothing, just sitting at home.

To think something would happen in that context, as I had always said at the time and am saying to you again now, is blatantly wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

So if we wait long enough, eventually a collapse will happen?

Out of interest, how many of the predictions you posted on boards over the years have been accurate?

On a separate note, SF have called this morning for the government to pay the equivalent of one months rent into each renters bank account, and put a ban on rent increases for 3 yrs. The first is just bonkers, the second will be further proof (if it was needed) to small LLs that they must leave the market before these loons may be in a position of power.

Post edited by Dav010 on

I'm not so sure that sensational government support will stop. The next budget will be giving out an extra 6 billion and that pit won't refuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

Read my posts on the last few pages. It's all there about interest rates, the MNC gravy train stalling, inflation not being transitory - I am only parroting what the private sector is saying and Not what official Ireland and its cheerleaders are saying so they aren't technically my predictions but other's analysis that I hang my hat in.

And you are literally subscribing to the Magic Money Tree school of economics If you think it won't crash - the State is totally bankrupt and continuing to spend like there is no tomorrow whole failing to raise taxes. This is only facilitated by borrowing, which means you also accept that the only way this show continues is for the debt to be just wiped out without being repaid and for borrowing to continue.

I suspect these are more up to date figures

More than a third of private rentals are fully or partly paid for by the State (HAP, RAS, rent supplement).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,631 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

So what do expect the government to do, let old people without heat for the winter. Let younger families in there low energy homes that are dependent on electricity freeze as well. Let's schools unable to afford to turn heating over the winter

Banks will not lend to developers unless they can find 20-40% of the development themselves. Because of this they have to look for institutional funding. I imagine that in the case of apartment blocks these funding institution's would look for these units to be pre sold l.

It would be the same with housing development's funding institution's would give lower rates of some houses were contracted to be sold to other institutional buyers

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Jimmy, I am not saying there won’t be a crash, history tells us that where there is boom, there is a probability of bust. But you, in both avatar guises, have been a harbinger of doom for years. How many of your predictions have been correct?

Even if there is a slow down in MNC hiring and inflation remains high, the fact that there are so few rental/properties to buy, and so many looking to rent/buy would appear to make a crash in prices unlikely any time soon. Will it happen eventually? Probably, will it happen early next year? Unlikely.

I'm not so sure price caps will do much for the groups you mention

Giving everyone multiple credits on their bill is a bit of a waste, many will not need and many homes are unoccupied, but probably still connected. Holiday homes etc

The groups you mentioned can easily be targeted with specific measures and finally maximise our renewable and indigenous sources thereby reducing dependence on imported gas which will lead to further price drops

Correct me if I’m wrong but your prediction at the start of the year for 2022 was for prices to fall by more than 20% of 2021 prices and rents to fall by upto 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Housing targets missed again, construction slowing down - will be a long time before supply alone causes prices to fall

I think a recession, job losses and higher interest rates will all damper demand before supply does...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Only if they lead to emigration outward. People still have to live somewhere if they are staying in the country.

If people don’t buy they need to rent…it only shifts the demand around assuming the population stays the same and we don’t see mass emigration.

if there isn’t a sufficient supply of rental property then the rent on new builds increases due to the increase in demand this in turn attracts investors to buy more property for rental and provides a floor for house prises so we don’t see a decrease in house prices.

If people lose their job then they wont be able to rent or buy. No one knows whats around the corner, any of us trying to guess is just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭combat14

the main reason rates are rising is to cool inflation .. in this case mostly "energy inflation" caused by higher gas/oil prices spilling massively over into electricity, heating, transport, food

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭combat14

where are we on this cycle .. anxiety/denial... about to enter the downward spiral......... ??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If only someone had warned them that leaving it to private sector would end in failure. Expect more schemes and plans unveiled before the end of the year to further subsidize the market.

Rates are rising to cool the economy because it’s to hot with a shortage of workers. If they don’t cool the job market you’ll end up in a wage inflation spiral.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭enricoh

There's probably a net extra 150k after moving here for 2022, it doesn't take a genius to work out demand isn't going to fall!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

As apposed to what the public sector doing it - The children's hospital anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I want a bugattii, doesn't mean I can afford one

as people become unemployed or finances tighten there ability to service a mortgage to buy houses at todays price point will fall and therefore the pool of potential customers will fall

Advertisement