Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three new plans unlimited calls, texts and 5G data

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

Ones a router and the other is a hotspot? 🤨

A router is a fixed access point designed to provide internet to multiple devices spread throughout a home at all times.

A hotspot is portable and designed to provide internet temporarily to one or two devices.

Which you need depends on your circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If it's good good one.

Better battery range, processing power better features.

Well my question is, knowing they are not the same, what the end result differences will be. You can have a hotspot permanently if you leave an old phone in a room doing it. My question meant what would the router give me over and above that in that context. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Router would probably handle data better, have better transmission power, doesn't need to have settings fiddled with constantly, handle multiple connections better etc.

And an "old phone" is old probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Ultimately they're doing the same thing, a phone in hotspot mode is acting as a router.

But a dedicated router will have better performance - if it has external aerials it will pick up the 5G signal better in marginal areas and broadcast a stronger WiFi signal. It will handle multiple devices and connections better and will have more configuration options. But if a phone does the job for you, then go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

as you point out, it's only a 12 month offer, so you'd have to switch again at that point and there's no guarantee there would be a similar offer available in a year's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 abber30

im having tough time switching from Eir to Three, tried once and it apperently got stuck so it was cancelled and agent asked me to submit it again. I contacted them yesterday again and I was told she has cancelled it and submited herself again. 24 hours later - my number still did not port. About to give up, but I bet it's something Eir is up to, not allowing my number to move to Three (I am on bill pay sim only - all bills paid on time)

Ultimately you'd have to test both to see the be differences to your use of it.

You might be a light user and it makes no difference. You might be heavy user and it does make a difference.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/guides/testing-understanding-your-mobile-internet-speeds/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Is this a sim only deal where you pay 15e every month or can you skip a month like pay as you go?

• Advertisement

A lot of the new payg plans you don't keep credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Switched over yesterday but at home I'm only getting 3G and 2/3 mbps at work (indoors) it's the same, out in the middle of the Curragh plains i got 160mbps so i think I might switch back to Vodafone.

I tried to port today but nothing happening, chat agent said "try porting again" even though I got an account number etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mel123

ok so a previous post of mine a few back i said eir was doing a slightly better deal. went to local eir store, its sign up via DD, passport, house bill etc required.

is the three deal the same or can i just walk in to the store and grab a sim card and top it up when required?

The three offer is payg

The Eir offer is sim only Bill pay. ( I assume)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mel123

Yes correct, was my bad.

But can i go to the Three store after work and pick up a sim card, dont have to sign up and show ID and all that stuff? Im planning on going straight after work and dont have this stuff.

Let us know how you get on.

Went into 3 store, they got a sim and did the porting (they had my details from online request).

done in 10 minutes, swapped sim. (LTE only in my house, not too happy with that about 8 megs).

Can't schedule top up, keeps on going back to same page, without confirming the scheduled payment successful.

edit: unless the website is just cráp and it has taken note of the request without providing a confirmation..if someone could oblige with checking this thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

I'm the same, got through on messenger to some guy . he said a mast is down....I think I heard that line before.

That was 5 days ago. I can get 4g/5g outside of my house / town, east cork

Got back on Vodafone over the weekend, they have a Vodafone X 5G PAYG plan for 25e so went with that, getting 3 or 4 times the speed of my home broadband on 5G in my house so going to look into a good 5G sim card router and maybe use it as main broadband. Anyone got any feedback on a good 5G routers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭breeno

25 just seems a tad high compared to the competition even taking the network quality into account. I wonder if they'll reduce their prices at all to respond to the 3 and Eir 15 quid offers.

One of the reasons I test sim is because you seem to get the headline speeds at the start but they slowly drop off over time.

Yes I will definitely be monitoring it over time, I'm tied into a Broadband contract for another 10 months so I won't be rushing into the 5G router option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

5g routers seem to be a serious price - starting at about €300 on Amazon and those are usually unlocked from 3 which comes with its own problems. A decent one is about €400. The savings you are making on the cheap sim are quickly eaten up by the router cost

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Is 5G really worth it though?

What can you do on your phone with 5G speeds that you can not do at 4G?

I get the value of 5G for edge computing and connected devices etc. but I really don't see the value proposition for general mobile use.

Certainly not something I could see myself paying extra for.

With this offer you're not paying extra for it. Assuming you get the speeds.

When I say dire speeds as in not being able to use apps etc., because the speed was too slow. Like < 1Mbps

you are spot on but saving at least 200 a year by going the router option plus pretty much guaranteed speeds 3 or 4 times faster than home broadband in an area where there is no sign of Fibre to my house in the next 2 or 3 years. Plus that little sense of satisfaction that comes from not being tied to yet another utility company - well worth the punt in my opinion.

Well i was prepared to go back to the regular Vodafone X at 20e so the extra 5e to see what the 5G coverage was like as a test is worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭homingbird

Everyones forgetting that you now get free landline & mobile that you didnt with old plan you cant ring a landline number with messenger or whats app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭McSween

Im thinking of changing to this. Even though i have a non 5g phone. Im with 48 and tired of the roaming nonsense of trying to get it working when I land in the UK (sim applications). I assume with 3 you dont have to go to settings when roaming, but just turn the phone on and it works?

Advertisement