Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I think it could be a move by Tesla to make it unattractive to new buyers to buy FSD, but to make the FSD subscription more appealing ($15k outright equates to 6 years 3 months of subscription to FSD at the current $199/mo price).

Financial Analysts like that recurring revenue. Also, if you're planning on getting a new car within 6 years, it would make sense for the owner.

... but not in the EU, either way, as there are too many limitations placed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,352 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

As with all optional extras, they make it easier to sell the car but add very little value in reality. Until of course such a time where FSD really means what it says on the tin (level 5 autonomy), the car is 100% responsible and it doesn't need a driver. Then you could rent your car out as a "robotaxi" and it will indeed add significantly to the value of the car. Will this happen? No doubt but I have no idea when.

@Fingleberries - not in the EU for now, but Tesla has already presented the relevant commission with some serious pile of data proving the current beta of FSD is already many times safer than humans. This data can not be ignored, they will have to accept it at some point, if not they are directly responsible for death and injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

If Tesla’s approach to the EU is to try to ping responsibility on them for not approving it, I’d be fairly sure it will be a long time before they get any approval.

Mercedes already have approval for L4 driving on some stretches of motorway but this came with the crucial caveat that the driver is not the insured party in that case. If Tesla and their insurer are willing to put their money (as well as their data) on the line, maybe we’ll see a gradual and controlled loosening of restrictions. Of course, Mercedes focused on motorways and Tesla on urban streets so it’s easier to see why Mercedes got there first. It’s a lot easier to allow L4 in a controlled, segregated environment.

Exactly @markpb

Mercedes is L3 though. It means that under certain very well defined circumstances, the car takes over the driving and also takes over responsibility. You can go watch a movie or play on your phone. As soon as the car tells you, you will have to take over though. Tesla does not take responsibility (yet), so even their FSD is only L2

Next step up is L4 where the car is responsible for all driving in pretty much all circumstances until the car tells you to take over (Tesla will no doubt get there way before Mercedes, if and only if they take responsibility) and then L5 you don't need any driver or any steering wheel in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

A couple of months old. 3 X 1 hour long.

Episode 1 gave me more respect for Elon but he lost most of that in later episodes. He regularly says Tesla is routinely about to go bust, which is worrying for investors and share prices but it's the first real interviews I have seen even if it's with his fans with no real hard questions. He mentions that he underestimated FSD, and that the last 5% is much harder than the first 95%, so even he does not know when Tesla will be ready, let alone regulators. Interesting mention on dropping radar, radar does not work well with optical cameras and they could not mesh together so he dropped them.

• Advertisement

That's a bit old now, FSD has moved on hugely in the last few months (where it had in my humble opinion pretty much stalled for a long time before)

Mind I never watched the whole "interview", just bits of it. What is always interesting though is that when Musk has it easy as an interviewee, because he is interviewed by essentially his fans, he seems to be more relaxed and give away more info / personal views

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Any Model X owners on here interested in a set of 19" Winter wheels/tyres? Good/fair condition Cyclone wheels, couple of scratches. Hankook Winter I-Cept Evo2 tyres 265/50 (110V), 1 brand new tyres last year, plenty of thread on all of them. I'll get pics and details up on adverts shortly, but figure it's a small population so wanted to try here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Try posting in the tesla owners facebook group too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I just found my part worn 19" Model S tyre in the shed yesterday, completely forgot about it, think I saw my Leaf Space Saver there too, another forgotten...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I noticed today the Mahon Point sales/service center has been removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

We'll have 2x identical Model 3s soon, one sans radar.

It really seems lunacy to me, to delete the front facing radar. Would it have saved those two innocent motorcyclists lives?

How can extra safety data, ever be a bad thing? A radar could have detected those riders 😔.

The two cars that killed the motorcyclists are a 2020 Model 3 and a 2021 Model Y. Tesla stopped fitting radar to Model 3 and Y in May 2021. So the first car certainly does have radar and the second car possibly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

But does the latest software not use the radar anymore. That could be the issue.

Good point. I don't know the answer and a 2 minute Google is inconclusive. Maybe someone else here knows or can find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

My understanding is that the FSD Beta users only uses Tesla Vision (cameras) - starting from v9 in 2021.

I can't see if this is now also in the mainstream FSD, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Has anyone any thoughts on the substance of the video though? That using cameras alone could be bad?

Would/should radar detect a large motorcycle directly in front & slow/brake/warn the driver? If cameras alone are prone to making this mistake, why dump the radar?

Tesla will be the only manufacturer not to utilise front facing radar for adaptive cruise/emergency braking etc.

It was good enough for the last 10+ years but now, not so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Tesla is the new VW: first dieselgate, now crashgate.

"Tesla questioned over hidden crash test code

Fans and critics of Tesla are questioning the company's decision to secretly embed special codes that detect when its vehicles are about to undergo a crash test – and now the safety watchdog is investigating."

They are only claims so nothing even close to having been proven yet - so maybe calm down with the FUD until a formal investigation and results are published.

Obviously if it is true then its shocking but to be honest i can't believe that they would be this stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

My guess is if there is any code, it’s merely to send data/video from any tests back to the mothership…

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I am not the originator of the story, nor do I run the websites reporting it, perhaps you should direct your ire and accusations of FUD at those.

• Advertisement

what are you on about - you said:

"Tesla is the new VW: first dieselgate, now crashgate."

Or were they someone else words?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Bovakinn

Did anyone see the new Supercharger prices in Ireland?

61-64c/kwh.

I'm happy to pay a higher rate for fast chargers, but I think this is a bit mad...

Yes. It was inevitable really. Commercial energy is gone through the roof and it's possible (depending on when the tesla price contracts need to be renewed) that they would be paying almost €1/kWh themselves for the energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭eagerv

Made a mistake yesterday driving across to Oxford area, charged at a SuC at 56 pence. While Gridserve is everywhere on main routes at 45 - 48 pence. No need for app, Cr card will do. And Gridserve much quieter than SuC on the few I looked at. Had to share a Tesla stall anyway so only got about 60kW which was plenty fast as needed to eat as well. Being a holiday weekend traffic is crazy over here, except for the funeral today.

Was talking to a few people at the SuC at Bridgend, they said the only reason they use it is because they claim back their expenses so price doesn't matter. One older gent told me that he had to wait till he retired before he could buy his Model 3 performance, as he owns an Audi dealership..😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

It's sad really that the original Ionity pricing can soon be considered a bargain.

The original Ionity pricing was and is a bargain! (€8 per session flat rate)

LOL, he should have waited a little longer before retiring and got an e-tron GT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Oh yes, I forgot that one. No, I meant the initial kWh pricing, i.e. (that time) unbelievably high 0.79 per kWh (which was later reduced to 0.73). The current Tesla pricing is getting close to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aigne

Tesla tent and demonstration cars at the Ploughing yesterday!

• Advertisement

LOL! I guess you can do a bit of ploughing no probs with a Tesla Model X? Many farmers are rich, but I'm not sure if they are a prime market for €100k Teslas. Mind, many of them buy €100k Toyota Landcruisers so maybe Tesla have a point?

Advertisement