Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Improvers Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I doubt you have anything to worry about unless you have had issues in the past with ankle instability. Most people have no issues at all getting used to super shoes, as far as I can tell. Any reviews I've read say the Endorphin Pro 3 is much more stable than the earlier versions so I'd say you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I think this kind of reaction to the shoes (and they are all different) is rare. That said, I’d be trying those shoes out on at least one long run and a couple of shorter ones beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Missed this last night! I’m hoping it’s a matter of getting used to them. I was fairly ok running in them though I knew I’d be sore afterwards. I wouldn’t mind that on marathon day though.

I got the Speed 2’s just before Cork Half and had no issues in them but I think I’d want to do a long run in any potential shoe before marathon day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anyone here doing Charleville at the weekend?

Haven't nailed my target time/pace yet or decided if I'm going to tag on extra miles after it 🤨

I probably won't do anything after it tbh..have a bit of a drive afterwards...will see how it goes I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Thanks. The book gives an equivalent marathon time of around 3:12, but it also warns about being too agressive with the training when adjusting goals. It's a tricky one really. I'll probably bring the MP and strength sessions down by a few seconds and see how I get on.

That's an impressive long session especially if HR was holding steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

Sounds like a solid approach and see how it goes. I'd back you!

Little bit of heart rate drift with each set but all within my normal range.

I'm still working off sub 3'10 and that's with a 1'33 half. It could possibly come back and bite me. I'll be watching the heart rate closely I the early miles and will let that dictate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

thanks, basically have to see how this weekend goes, i think its 25k, if i can get close to that without it being too much hardship then il plough on, if not i will reassess, dont really want to just slog through the next few weeks and then slog through the run itself, if i think i can tip around it in sub 4 without it taking too much effort then il go up and do it for the craic, if i think its going to be torture then i wont,

Thanks for that - picked one up this morning (or at least something that looks almost identical) and couple of soft flasks. I haven't carried fluids during a marathon for years but I'm rethinking that (lack of) strategy this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Could you wear it under a t-shirt or do. You think that may cause chuffing?

• Advertisement

I haven't tested yet but it seems designed to sit at your waistband. I'd certainly want some fabric under it. Also, I went with the size 2 (only 2 and 4 in stock, so 3 must be popular) - I'm a 30 inch waise (probably a little under), but it's certainly snug. Definitely won't be jiggling around. Hopefully it won't cut off the circulation below the hips!

Some BodyGlide may work. Or Skin Shield if you can get hold of some (seems to work longer for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Any reason why you are waiting till mile 14 to finish off the Maurten drink? IMO that's a long way to carry a drink for no reason. Why not drink them first and reduce the carry weight? I practiced my fuelling strategy over my 24 mile run at the weekend and it went well

Plain chicken breast and sweet potato dinner the night before

Maurten 320 drink an hour before the run (I don't eat any breakfast)

Maurten caffeine gel just before run

Maurten 320 250ml drink at 30 min

320 in 250ml drink at 60mins

Caffeine gel at 90mins

Normal Maurten gel at 120mins

Normal gel at 150mins

Bought a flip belt for this and worked ok. Did find having the soft flasks around my waist quite unusual at the start but got used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Would you recommend these for the full? I've a pair of Speeds 2 but not sure are they suitable for that distance.

They are a lovely shoe and a big difference from the GT2000s I have been wearing for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

It's a good point, open to experimenting. I did like alternating gel/drink over the weekend. I could certainly start with drink/gel though, which would cut down on weight early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

I went out there this afternoon and grabbed one also. The last size 2. 2x size 4s left.

Session tomorrow is 5x 1mile @10k .

Not sure whether I should do it or not, plan doesn't 'know' I just ran that half and the legs are a touch sore still.

On Tuesdays after a race on the plan the session is 6x 200 @5k, wondering if I should do that instead.

Thoughts?

Maybe do 3x 1m?

I honestly don’t know. I’m going to wear them Saturday week for 21 miles I think it is and see how they go. They were great for the half anyway and my feet were absolutely fine after it whereas my ankles were sore after a half in Vaporflies which are squishier. I think that is the reason anyway.

Can you hold off until Wednesday instead? What does the rest of the week look like? You just ran a PB … as somebody said to me before, the very nature of that is your body just did something it’s never done before so needs a recovery of sorts. In the thick of marathon training you don’t have time for much recovery but I’d definitely either reduce it or delay it by a day. I’m delaying tomorrow’s session until Wednesday as Saturday’s long run was such a big one.

I've a 10m steady run on Thurs, Wednesday is an easy 5 miles.

I think holding off on it until Wed will throw the whole week out of kilter.

Don't want to swith around Tue and Thurs either as it's not too different having a 10 mile steady run to do tomorrow morn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

I would personally leave it off and run easy. Give the legs time to recover and absorb the benefits of last weekends' PB.

By doing that session, there is more chance of you injuring yourself than gaining any benefit from it

I would ditch the session and do an easy run tomorrow. In fact I'm doing the same thing, swapping the planned 3x2 mile MP-10 for an easy 8-9 miles.

I think that's what I'll do.

Cheers all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭py

For those wearing carbon plated shoes for your marathon, make sure that they're suitable for (a) that distance and (b) your PMP.

I’d skip that session altogether after a hard PB race effort. Wouldn’t cost me a thought. Recovery is more importantly than the session, and injury risk is high.

Edit: I see a few others have said the same thing. I agree. 😁

Thanks for the advice all, I took it and ran 8 miles easy.

Picked up a lovely bright pink pair of Endorphin Pro3 today. Gonna take them for a spin on Thursday's 10 mile, and the long run on Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Brilliant shoe. Wasn’t brave enough to go with the pink myself but the shoe itself is great. I’m at the debating stage now what I’ll wear for the Marathon, it’s between the Next%, Alphaflys or the Endorphin Pro 3.

Will be trying all 3 on Marathon Paced runs over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Trev - remind me of the logic behind the caf Gel at the start (I cant remember from the talk we seen from the Maurten guy).

I brought a soft flask with water on my run last weekend - never even considered putting Maurten into it - might give it a spin at the weekend.

• Advertisement

I tried out the belt (the one recommended above) with 2x250 flasks the other day. Have to say I felt all the weight disconcerting. Half a kilo of fluids is a lot to carry around, when you consider how much we think about shaving an ounce off shoe weight, as someone pointed out to me. Not sure it’s worth it for the extra convenience to be honest but the jury is still out! Can’t imagine carrying 750ml, like I think @Wottle is considering? Love the belt though - will definitely use it for carrying the gels and for long run fluids (with one flask).

Advertisement