Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused: RCB off, radio off, tracer detects power?!

Options
  • 15-09-2022 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

I’m intending to replace a double socket in the spare bedroom. As a cautious type, I go through the same routine I always do. I check the socket with my B&Q pen-type power tracer.  It bleeps like crazy, as expected. I plug a radio into the socket in question, turn it up loud, switch off the RCB, and listen to the music die. All good, I’ve definitely got the correct RCB. 

Then, I double check with my B&Q pen-type power tracer.  Tobesuretobesuretobesure! But it’s bleeping like it did before I switched the RCB off. 

I check everything again. The RCB is off. The radio is not powered, and the power drill I’ve plugged into the other side of the socket is equally dead. 

But the I brush the power tracer along the socket and the radio/drill cables, it’s bleeping away. 

What’s going on?  Is there a live wire coming from elsewhere, bypassing the RCB?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The above “tracer” would not be considered a proper test instrument.

They are untrustworthy and will pick up noise

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

What would you recommend instead, a multimeter? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

The pens can be reliable if you're used to them but as 2011 says they're not an approved method of proving dead

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A good quality test meter such as a Robin, Megger or Fluke would be ideal.

Think the method is an 'approved' voltage tester and a proving unit combination

Can't remember how you define approved here but probably something without batteries anyhow , batteries could possibly be confusing I'd say for proving dead if you're getting continuity on the supply

No harm in having the detector pen as a backup as the voltage tester requires a "reference" ,the pen doesn't

• Advertisement

Not really sure what you mean by "approved", personally I would be confident if the tester is made by one of the manufacturers that I mentioned. No doubt these are high quality and comply with relevent standards.

There is always a reference available, sometimes this may have to be a wander lead. A "backup" is no use unless you can have 100% confidence in it.

There wouldn't be many using a wander lead for proving dead if any

I'm happy enough with a 2-wire voltage tester and a live source and a voltstick for good measure

Works for me but not everybody is confident with voltsticks you have to be used to working with them

Agreed there won’t be many times a wander lead is required, but sometimes it is needed for example broken neutral and no suitable earth available.

I thought there was such a thing as an "approved" voltage tester for proving dead( in combination with the proving unit )

Sounds more like an advertising slogan actually 😁

Anyhow I'd always use the voltstick after checking for voltage but they'd never be recommended for obvious reasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Any cheap multimeter rated for the voltage will work.

You just need to check there's nothing there, not measure anything with accuracy.

Could be a lighting wire, or a separate ring for an adjacent room behind that socket.

- A Dedicated voltage indicator to be used

-Proving unit checks all LEDs as against power source which doesnt

-,Multimeter requires a battery and has ranges so may not be reliable

Advertisement