Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

The Neale v Westport

Ballintubber v Mayo Gaels

Ballaghdereen v Ballina

Knockmore v Aghamore

Claremorris v Breaffy

Balla v Belmullet

Garrymore v Davitts

Mitchells v Charlestown

Bunni v Laherdane

Louisburgh v Crossmolina Draw

Kiltane v Burrishoole

Ballinrobe v Parke Draw

Ballyhaunis v Castlebar B

Ardnaree v Moy Davitts

Kiltimagh v Hollymount

Kilmaine v Kilmeena

Eastern Gaels v Cill Chomain

Moygownagh v Ballycastle

Ardagh v Ballycroy

Swinford v Kilfian

Islandeady v Killala

Achill v Tourmakeady

Lacken v SGC

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

The Neale v Westport

Ballintubber v Mayo Gaels

Ballaghdereen v Ballina Draw

Knockmore v Aghamore

Claremorris v Breaffy

Balla v Belmullet

Garrymore v Davitts

Mitchels v Charlestown

Bunni v Laherdane

Louisburgh v Crossmolina

Kiltane v Burrishoole

Ballinrobe v Parke

Ballyhaunis v Castlebar B

Ardnaree v Moy Davitts

Kiltimagh v Hollymount

Kilmaine v Kilmeena Draw

Eastern Gaels v Cill Chomain

Moygownagh v Ballycastle

Ardagh v Ballycroy

Swinford v Kilfian

Islandeady v Killala

Achill v Tourmakeady

Lacken v SGC

Post edited by RedDevil55 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Mightn't be in the spirit of the game but a few pints on board and can't seem to be able to format things on the phone.

In the interest of being involved... and in the hope of being sober next week, I'll predict a draw in every match if allowed 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Avon8

Hilarious for you to talk about posting histories bud. Have you seen the pathetic nonsense you posted about covid for the last two years? I was certain accounts like yours that humiliated themselves would delete but clearly not in your case, some people have no shame. I can understand how you engage with toxic tim content anyway, two people the wrong side of middle age trying to be relevant. Get a life pal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Ballina v Ballagh draw. Talk about internal discipline problems, Captaincy moved to Dylan Thornton. It's going to make the group wide open.

Huge wins for Westport and Garrymore

Huge win for Boorishule in Kiltane, f×××ed up a couple of accumulators for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Mayo Junior Football Championship Round 1.

Group 1:

Eastern Gaels 0-9

Cill Chomain 1-11

Moygownagh 1-12

Ballycastle 2-10

Group 2:

Swinford WALKOVER Kilfian 

Ardagh 0-13

Ballycroy 1-9

Group 3:

Islandeady 0-12

Killala 0-9

Group 4:

Achill 1-10

Tourmakeady 1-12

Lacken Sarsfields 0-4

Shrule/Glencorrib 3-13

Intermediate Championships Round 1:

Group 1:

Bonniconlon 1-10

Lahardane 0-8

Louisburgh 2-10

Crossmolina 0-10

Group 2:

Kiltane 1-8

Burrishoole 2-13

Ballinrobe 2-12

Parke/K/C 1-14

Group 3:

Ardnaree Sarsfields 0-9

Bohola Moy Davitts 2-16

Ballyhaunis 0-14

Castlebar B 2-8

Group 4:

Kilmeena 1-13

Kilmaine 2-8

Kiltimagh 2-14

Hollymount/Carramore 0-11

Mayo Senior Football Championship Round 1:

Group 1:

The Neale 0-3

Westport 3-23

Ballintubber 1-16

Mayo Gaels 0-7

Group 2:

Ballaghaderren 1-7

Ballina Stephenites 0-10

Knockmore 3-8

Aghamore 0-11

Group 3:

Claremorris 0-11

Breaffy 1-16

Balla 2-10

Belmullet 3-8

Group 4:

Garrymore 2-10

Davitts 0-7

Castlebar Mitchels 0-11

Charlestown Sarsfields 0-10

Taken from the Ah Ref Whatsapp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

So to help with the scoring, I reckon I have 32 points from the weekend just gone.

The Neale v Westport 2 points

Ballintubber v Mayo Gaels 2 points

Ballaghdereen v Ballina zero

Knockmore v Aghamore 2 points

Claremorris v Breaffy - DRAW zero

Balla v Belmullet - DRAW zero

Garrymore v Davitts 2 points

Mitchells v Charlestown 2 points

Bunni v Laherdane 2 points

Louisburgh v Crossmolina 2 points

Kiltane v Burrishoole zero

Ballinrobe v Parke zero

Ballyhaunis v Castlebar B zero

Ardnaree v Moy Davitts 2 points

Kiltimagh v Hollymount 2 points

Kilmaine v Kilmeena 2 points

Eastern Gaels v Cill Chomain 2 points

Moygownagh v Ballycastle 2 points

Ardagh v Ballycroy 2 points

Swinford v Kilfian 2 points (assuming points are given for a walkover)

Islandeady v Killala 2 points

Achill v Tourmakeady zero

Lacken v SGC 2 points

I don't think there were enough draws this weekend 😂

Ah Ref had hinted towards a bit of an upset in that game I think.

Despite being well ahead at half time, I hear Castlebar were lucky enough to hang on in the second half. Paddy Durcan had to go off at HT and unfortunately his brother didn't start, out for the season with a bad ligament injury afaik.

I was keen to see how they got on, they're a very young side and a bit light imo. A tough win like that might stand to them though.

Looking forward to the Knockmore Westport final already G&R

• Advertisement

Was at the Knockmore v Aughamore game yesterday, oddly similar to the game last year, close enough in the first half and then we put on a big push early in the second to effectively win the game with a couple of goals (excellent finish from Orme for the 2nd one) and it petered out as a contest towards the end.

I thought Conor Byrne & Ross Egan were decent for Aghamore; Pearse R, Shane & Darren McHale & Adam Naughton probably best for us along with Kevin Mc who was MOTM for me. Two big pluses for us was King starting for the first time since the Connacht final and Darren McHale starting also.

Looking forward to playing Ballina this weekend, Westport v Ballintubber should be good on Sat evening

Current bookmaker odds:

Balllintubber 3/1

Westport 3/1

Knockmore 5/1

Castlebar 6/1

Breaffy 15/2

Ballina 9/1

Garrymore 10/1

Looking forward to the Knockmore Westport final already G&R

Not so sure Westport will be there!

If anyone wants a trip down memory lane! Cormac Reilly has decided this is a good time to speak about Limerick 2014!

It was inevitable that someone would come out with this stat……

Now that she's gone, next year is definitely our year!!!

Good win for Ballina over the County Champions. Only caught the second half but McStay very impressive for Ballina from the part of the game I saw.

Westport full value for their win over Ballintubber too. Very strong and full of pace going forward. They’ll be hard to stop this year I think.

Latest odds from Paddy Power. Impressive win for Westport over the Tubber.

Was at the Knockmore game yesterday, Ballina were deserved winners in fairness, beat us pretty much all over the field. It seemed like we had weathered the early storm and were generally on top (5-4 up I think) when we conceded a brutal goal from a long ball. Ballina got a 2nd early in the 2nd half and while we pulled it back to 2 points at one stage, an excellent 3rd goal (created by McStay who was v good) finished it. Considering the results last weekend and Aughamore hammering Ballagh on Sat evening, I definitely didn't expect this sort of result but Ballina were first to every breaking ball and were generally fired up for it. I thought Dylan Thornton, McStay, Frank Irwin & Swannie were best for Ballina while Dempsey (who had been poor enough in our previous couple of games) was one of the only Knockmore players to get the better of his man. The only real consolation we can take from it is that Ballina's need was greater today and hopefully we'll show greater resolve if we're to meet again later in the championship

Those results leave the group wide open now with all four sides knowing that they need a result to get through to the QFs.

Westport clear favourites now after giving Ballintubber a good trimming, no more than our own game, I thought that'd be a lot closer

Was very surprised by the manner of Westport's win. Got the highlights and they seem to be flying.

Group 2 is set up for a great final round. Again only got the highlights but McStay looked very good.

Was at the Breaffy Balla game. A fairly poor game really. Balla didn't come with much of a fight or anything really and Breaffy were always at arms length from early on. Aidan firmly in at full forward now, worked ok but better teams will have it sussed out. Livingston keeping his place in goal ahead of Robbie. Belmullet in danger of an early exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Any word on COC injury

• Advertisement

Further details of McStay's backroom team.

Niamh Fitzpatrick in to the set-up again, she was brought in by Rochford before (shortly after she tragically lost her sister Dara in the Rescue 116 helicopter off Belmullet)

I think Evan Regan spent the summer in the US doing nutritionist work with the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mf 265

That ll suit o hora so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

There is effectively 5 selectors. Is that more than normal and how does that work in pratice? Final say is with Kevin i presume so that makes the debate fairly long to get perspectives on board. How did it work under Horan, I think there was Horan and two others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

If you believe the gossip and the pictures of arguments on the sideline it was Horan and noone else.

The manager carefully considers all opinions before ignoring them and going with his own.

Half joking... but a manager manages at the end of the day. All others are there in supporting roles. A good manager will take on other opinions when needed, but doesn't necessarily need to be taking lots of time doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I get that but surely he doesn't want to devalue his selectors opinions otherwise distrust, dishamrony set in and impact morale. This probably happened under Horan and the body language from the side line was telling. I hope McStay is not that type of manager especially with a big back room team. Time will tell.

The Mayo News podcast had separate interviews with Rochford and McStay up recently on patreon. Will probably be realised outside of that in a few days. Well worth a listen as your point is the focus of a lot of the interviews.

Rochford interview: He's well used to the assistant manager role at this stage and is very happy to play that role. Typical modest interview from him.

McStay interview: said he wouldn't have done it without Rochford as his assistant, and that Rochford has added so much already. McStay also made it clear that his management style is that he wants to be challenged by the strong characters around him and wasn't interested in yes men.

Personally I wouldn't have been worried about the team assembled and certainly not after the interviews.

Most set ups have 3 selectors or so involved, we've got an assistant manager thrown in. It's not excessive imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

The interviews have been reassuringly focused, calm and confident.

Any idea when will the fixture details for next weekend be confirmed?

think I saw them already out yesterday or the day before on Mayogaa twitter

Good man, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

• Advertisement

Kenneth Mortimer joins Sheridan's backroom team for the U20s. Best of luck @km79 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Can only be a good thing,know nothing of him in management but arguably the best cornerback to play for Mayo (although I'd give that to Zippy)

Funnily enough both himself and Keith made the unusual move from corner back to no.11 in different eras.both were successful at it but in both cases it was scraped after a season!

And Kenneth in an era when positions wouldn't have been as fluid. Saying that, midfield was probably still midfield, rather than the middle third, when Keith was switched.

I think Sheridan was a bit fortunate to get reinstated, it's a big year for him. He shouldered a lot of blame for the defeat to Sligo and most of it was probably deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I came on here hoping to see this

ye didn’t let me down :D

I think some of the criticism was over the top to be honest. A lot of folk underestimated Sligo not taking into account that was a very strong team at minor coming through in this age group. The style the team played was indeed putrid to watch, but his job isn't to get teams playing for entertainment.

His winning Sigerson won't have done any defence of his retention bid any harm. Appreciate they're different grades too but he did well there. He also managed to get Fionn McDonagh playing exceptionally well at that grade, I'd be very hopeful to see similar from Fionn at senior intercounty if he can stop getting injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

I think the criticism of Sheridans style of play was warranted,however a lot of that would have been glossed over if we had gone further or indeed won the u20.

The manager couldn't be blamed for the slapstick cartoon stuff that lost us the game v Sligo,you just can't account for stuff like that happening not once but a few times in that game.

I didn't think there was much ott criticism. Not that I was aware of anyway. I think he got criticism for the way he played and some of the selections and I would have to say they were fair enough.

Putrid football and success is one thing... sometimes, but the problem was that he we played putrid football and lost so you'd expect criticism. Did we understimate Sligo? I'm not sure we did, we just threw away the game.

I'm perhaps concentrating on some of the stuff that the Tim O'Leary fan club would post. I should probably know better than to pay much heed to empty barrels.

I think there was a bit of underestimation of Sligo from the supporters. I don't think the players did but that doesn't matter now.

You can when you have the best keeper in the county on the bench and 90% of the slapstickness is due to the goalie.

From what I hear he went out of his way to make examples of young lads that he thought were too big for their boots

Who was the best keeper in the county? I've heard people say that Jack Livingston from Breaffy should have been in between the sticks but unless I'm losing my marbles, he was a year or two overage.

Think it might have been Ah Ref podcast that were going on about it.

Jennings from Ballinrobe.

From Knockmore you had two forwards who both played in a senior Connacht final, neither saw game time

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Jack Livingstone was U20 this year but wasn't on the panel. Jennings from Ballinrobe was another option

I must be losing it so, thought he was a few years older.

Crazy that he made FBD squad or two for the seniors but couldn't make the cut for the U20's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

he sounded quite bitter alright. Didn't expect that from him to be fair.

• Advertisement
Advertisement