Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, the older consoles were built like tanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've a couple of them, a GBA, GBA SP, GBA Micro and a GBA Ags-101 (with the tasty screen).

It's a cracking device, and it is easy to see why Nintendo owned the handheld space, despite the best efforts of Sony.

It is well worth loading the best of the back-catalogue onto your SNES/NES Mini, play them on the big screen, many hold up really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I Bought a CUSTOM Nintendo DS Console...

This looks really cool. It's a GBA SP and DS custom hybrid.

It's mad that 1st party Nintendo games on switch don't come down in price. My nephew recently got a switch and still had to pay full price for 5 year old games like BOTW and Mario Kart 😂

Didn't Nintendo used to do the equivalent of platinum games on PS (when they'd go down to around £20 and be in a different case)? I definitely remember having Mario Sunshine in a grey case.

I doubt there's any chance of them doing that for Switch at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,843 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Nah, generally speaking Nintendo 1st party games hold their value. There are some fantastic sales on Switch, just not so much on the stuff made by Nintendo!

• Advertisement

No sign of Nintendo selects on Switch. Nintendo will charge whatever people are willing to pay.

I think when the Switch 2 comes out we might see some arrive. Switch 1 + selects would be a budget offering. Switch 2 for business as usual.

Also, if world economy goes tits up they might start offering cheaper games. ,😔

They "hold" their value because Nintendo don't lower their prices. Take Smash Bros on Wii U, it's still €60. And don't even get me started on its disjointed DLC, that's over €100 to get all the DLC. There's no Season Pass, not even close to one.

There's countless examples of Wii U and 3DS games on the eShops that are like ghost towns, closing in the next 6 months. Nintendo doesn't have sales for them, never mind reducing them, the same goes for the Virtual Console games. There are some that got the Selects range treatment, but the Switch hasn't gotten any.

It's ###### up how games on Wii U like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is €25 on the eShop, but Nintendo charged Switch buyers(€60) even more than it was originally on Wii U(it was originally €50). Nintendo aren't a generous company, never have been, only on occasion where they've been desperate.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

No, they hold their value because people still pay those prices when Nintendo sets them that high.

That's the nature of their offering, much like Apple in the computing device marketplace. They won't change that approach unless it stops working (e.g. if Switch 2 dies on its arse like the Wii U did).

Nobody says you have to like it, but if you're grousing about the way Wii U owners were treated, the best thing you can do for yourself is wind in your fandom of Nintendo and remind yourself that they're a company. They are a business and they offer business transactions, and no part of that involves owing anyone generosity. I have adored some of their games, but that doesn't mean they owe me anything, nor I them.

Any sign of those German 2 for 3 sales ...?

I haven't bought a Switch game in a while but might grab a couple then.

In other news my daughter managed to completely destroy the cover of that open world Pokémon game and she's now a teenager!

I'm like a library lending out cartridges here. Otherwise they get lost and/or the boxes get destroyed.

Kids these days 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Somewhere in the Caribbean.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Played an hour or so last night. Still in thr playpen but as humorous and quirky as you'd expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They skipped the teaser for the announcement of the teaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Nintendo make the best games in the world but Wiiu owners been a little stranded back in the day and Nintendos pricing are things people should be free to moan about.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It being a valid gripe doesn't make it an interesting conversation topic, though :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Chris Pratt, surely the least of the MCU Chris line-up

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Not sure if this has been discussed further back on the thread but what's peoples general thoughts on a Switch 2 release likely coming with the BOTW sequel? I saw a couple of people online talking about it like it was inevitable but I wonder.

Not even sure how they'd want to go about it tbh. Will it be backwards compatible, separate controllers or like the Lite, dock more powerful but optional etc.? What exactly would be the difference people want.

For some reason I don't get the feeling Nintendo are under that much pressure to produce something more powerful, especially if a new Zelda breathes life back into the existing hardware. I wonder if COVID/lockdown played into it, like there's a couple of lost years where time didn't pass the same as usual/not as many advances being made.

If it aint broke etc...

I think there will of course be a successor to the Switch and "any day now" repeated often will eventually be true.

And, you aren't wrong, BotW 2 would be the perfect launch title.

But,

This is Nintendo!

Who knows what they are planning!

The Switch seems to be selling well and while developers might want an easier time getting their PS4/5 titles onto the popular console, there seems to no ground swell of demands for an upgraded system.

Not that Nintendo would hear such things anyway.

And I don't think there will be another significant Switch hardware update now, either.

Indeed, "if it ain't broke".

I would have to imagine that late '23/early '24 will be the twelve months to see the first teasers of a new device, perhaps the E3/TGS next year could be the starting line for new hardware.

• Advertisement

I see the new FIFA is priced at a more suitable price for Switch. Won't say acceptable since it's still just the updated version of an old game but it's about half the price of the newer gen versions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Be interested to see what impact the Steam Deck has on Nintendo's lack of urgency to come up with a more powerful console. Going by the way Steam are catching up with orders I reckon by Christmas the Deck will be able to be ordered and delivered the same week. Pricing wise, considering the gulf in power between the base Steam deck and Switch, there isnt a massive difference. Obviously there's the Nintendo first party thing, but apart from that, a low powered Switch struggling to run bigger games and being reliant on cloud versions might become a much less attractive proposition for more serious gamers.

I can't imagine Nintendo and their plans have been affected in anyway by the Steamdeck.

To be honest, they are two different audiences and I can't imagine that the install base of the Steamdeck will ever begin to approach that of the Switch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Steam Deck is a great device and everything, but it's a far more niche prospect. Figures knocking around this week suggest Valve has shipped somewhere over 1 million Decks to date, which is around a third of the Switch's launch month sales alone. That figure isn't straight from Valve (who are very secretive with shipping numbers!) but it's the best indication we have so far of the numbers. The scale between the SD and a more traditional console launch is very different, and that's allowing for the fact SD has still been a success story on its own terms!

For anyone who cares about performance, platform openness etc... the SD is a no-brainer. But I don't think that audience is anywhere near big enough to come close to Switch's 100 million plus sales in the next few years :)

I like the poster. Remember the debut trailer for the Super Mario Bros. Movie is Thursday night at 9:05PM.

Nintendo Direct: The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Watch this Nintendo Direct: The Super Mario Bros. Movie presentation introducing the world premiere trailer for the upcoming film (no game information will be featured).

Post edited by sligeach on

Wait until we see his face and it looks like Chris Pratt.

Was thinking after this, they might be expected to have future Mario games fully voiced, especially since they seem to be keeping the art style similar to the games.

Though they will still do their own thing, whatever's expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,843 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

No sign of a new Game and Watch this year? It would likely be a Metroid one if released?

Not sure what it is but something seems off. Think it's just out of context. Like from that image his upper body makes the head look big. Looks more like someone wearing a Mario mask.

Will have a better idea tomorrow.

I didn't want to give that image air. As you say, there's something off about it. Quite a bit actually. I'm not sure it's real.

• Advertisement

I wonder will Nintendo have an actual first party Mario game to tie in with this ?

I think the movie could potentially ruin/dilute the video game character because it's so close visually. Hopefully not.

( there was no way the original Mario Bros movie could anyway mentally hijack the video game character )

Advertisement