Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings - [Amazon] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

@thomas 123 There is no sense of time in this show.

How did they get 'Celebrimbor's forge Tower' built up so quickly.

Why has it elvish design features if it is being built by Dwarfs?

https://youtu.be/RC5oM3R4Hj0?t=572 ~ Council of the Rings

@pjohnson Thanks for the meme gif, have been on the lookout for that.

Why they decide to include that when it has been pointed she lacks emotion in other clips.

The INSANE (lack of) Acting Skills of Galadriel!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Amazon don't have a great track record when it comes to TV or games though; the fact they went with (let's be honest) a couple of nobodies script with no big names in a series that has the largest ever budget per episode is simply staggering hubris (again). The writing (as in story telling) is poor and inconsistent, the actors have been given banal dialogue (nor guidance what to do as brought up in post the video in #908 with the example of the knot over holding a rope; once again an experienced actor should pick on on something like that) and it's not helped by the fact the design team thinks elves means "humans with pointy ears". These are all problems that can be put at the writers feet and failure to actually do this once again most likely based on their lack of experience.

Talking about the characters we're talking characters who've lived for several hundred, or in most cases, thousands of years already; they don't view the world as a human does, nor do they see why 100 years going by is a problem who're 11/10 in grace and looks (hence why they are percieved as haughty by humans for example). However since the show decided they can't have anything actually take time this whole concept is more or less lost and making them more as actual elves was to much to ask. This is not even going in on the lore questions but if you ask a random person with a basic fantasy view on what an elf is and act what's shown on screen would not be close to that mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Yeah , like how long is Galadriel on the island so far? It’s seems they all(writers) said duck it , time, distance and general common sense don’t exist.

Also is it possible they couldn’t attract any actors of note since the script is so bad?

last bit of a rant , how copy and paste is not Sauron to Aragorn - in every passing episode he looks more like him and all of a sudden he’s king of a people now he has to go and lead … come on like.

I’d compared to Vikings in terms of casting, writing and production. But just saw that Vikings was made by the history channel and shown on prime. It wasn’t an Amazon production like I thought it was. So, yes, maybe Amazon haven’t previously nailed one like I thought they had

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's not exactly spectacular and some of the cast admittedly aren't fantastic either but it's reasonably good, decent scale and production values make it an easy enough watch in my own opinion. It looks great.

What's mildly annoying is that some of the best actors are just bit parts.

My biggest problem is that most of the cast are overly theatrical, there's not a real sense of them being real, multi-dimensional living people in their own worlds - it very, very much feels like a stage piece a lot of the time.

Still though I'd say I'm enjoying it. Not sure if it was Ep3 or Ep4 but there's a scene where Galadriel is quietly hustling three full grown men into a cell like bold children, like seriously was that a "Oh that's terrible...., never mind we're out of time it'll be grand just shove it in there" moment or what.

I find the Harefoot stuff is pretty awful, that's the only part where I'm willing the scene to end as soon as it starts.

All things said though I'd say it's a 6.5/10 for me so far. Could be better. Could be a lot worse based on some of the comments I've seen prior to watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've been finding it decent, not great, for the first few episodes but I thought that recent one was pretty poor. Very clunky dialogue and the characters just seem wafer thin. I can't say I really care about any of them. Something exciting needs to happen soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

To add something positive about all this amazon "Tolkien" show.

It has rekindled my interest in the Tolkien verse and picked up 2 works of art - The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales.

Both beautiful illustrated editions but particularly Silmarillion, slipcase limited edition (4,000 copies) - just gorgeous.

Also watched the extended edition of Fellowship on BluRay with my son and it's like night and day compared with amazons crap, pure Tolkien and great acting and dialogue - and every cast member nails it.

Looking forward to the next 2.

And of course reading these 2 books again.

Tolkien lives on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭sekiro

"Elf workers taking your trades!"

"The queen is either blind or an elf-lover!"

What the hell are they thinking with this? Why wasn't it enough to just have the Numenoreans envious of the elves and their immortality and afraid of death? (It also feels maybe a little too early in the show for this, if it's meant to be five seasons.)

They've seriously gone with "Elves coming here and taking our jobs"? Why didn't they just have the guy look directly into the camera and scream "Make Numenor Great Again"?

Embarrassingly awful is right.

I just don't understand what's going on behind the scenes when writing and filming a segment like this. You've got Galadriel and four armoured guards. One guy unlocks the gate. She walks out. The gate is then closed behind her. She pushes one guard and another and then the camera cuts away from the action. When we cut back she is pushing the 4th of the guards into the now open cell and she shuts the door.

This show gets so much praise for the expensive job they did on how it looks. These are the kind of "action" scenes being served up though. They honestly can't think of any better way to make Galadriel seem powerful? Or any better way to get her out of prison?

How can anyone watch this episode and actually think it's in any way good content? Is it just a case of ignoring the really bad bits and enjoying what you can?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Where was the money spent? On buying the rights obviously is a big one, some of the cgi is shockingly bad, no big name actors, if you didn't know how much it cost it's watchable, with a big budget comes big expectations,it's a bit like the Russian army, someone siphoned off alot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

• Advertisement

I was watching the second hobbit last night , the scene in Rivendell with Galadriel, Saroman, Gandalf and Elrond jumped out. The stark contrast between Galadriel There and what Amazon has created is schocking. That scene to me is a little humorous, with the telecenetic chat happen while the others are rambling away however with the music and speech you really get an instant respect for Galadriel. The grace and her importance in the world is immediately apparent. I think the fact of the matter here is Amazon had a gem of a character in Galadriel and they have fired the book out the window and given writers full reign over her. It now doesn’t matter if she has an arc, she simply is not galadrial. I have to say the actress portraying her cannot be blamed here the writing is pure trash.

the sea is always right …

nobody gets left behind …

Aragorn, Sam and Frodo look and act A likes.

Gandalf maybe?

only one elf soilder who can fight in the army of elf soilders who all got captured off screen ? But a kid with a bust leg can outrun the orcs later on?

Elrond clearly has a private jet to cross the world map in a day and apparently only one outfit(maybe it’s like the great British bake off and we are assumed too stupid to see other outfits)

this series is turning out to be a massive dissapointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

A couple of things once you see you can't unsee. Like all the catwalk poses and Galadriel constantly talking through her teeth. It's like she can't open her mouth cos her teeth are welded shut😬

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Its probably the ventriloquist with his hand up her back forgetting to move his thumb to make her jaw work.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Since this is the thread for the Tolkien nerds I'll throw this up here and hope the mods forgive me!

I came across an unopened (literally still in the cellophane) DVD boxset of the Hobbit Trilogy Extended Edition while tidying out the sitting room the other day. I'm never going to watch it since I barely made it through the theatrical cut of the first movie so if anyone's interested in it, quote this post in your reply and I'll stick it in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Generous offer, but you'd probably have to pay a Tolkien nerd to take that off your hands 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Oh yeah forgot about that ....

cringe alright ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Manga? Now that might have been the right genre to tell this story...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭liamtech

yea tbh there are so many things wrong with the show

• dialogue is deplorable
    • insertions of contemporary politics
    • CGI is not as good as is made out
    • lore violations everywhere
    • horrendous pacing
    • an underlying story which is not interesting especially considering what we SHOULD BE SEEING (annatar, eregion, etc)
    • harfoots

But for me the Galadriel issue, that is the one that sinks the show completely - it is NOT GALADRIEL - i cant say it any clearer -

TBH that is generous - and i find i have a new appreciation for The Hobbit - it PALES in comparison to LOTR - but still, look where we are now -

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Supposedly Season 2 starts filming in the UK in Oct, to be a fly on the wall, they must be sh1tting themselves, wouldnt they need to delay it by 6 months or or a year if they were to learn any lessons?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

That assumes they (i.e. Amazon leadership team mainly) wants to learn something however, they green lit the script in the first place and honestly the only thing they will care about is the numbers it pulled in. If episode 1 pulled in the required X million subscriptions then it did it's job and why change it for season 2? That's all noise and by the time season 2 rolls around and don't retain / pull in X million subscriptions the filming is already done and cut. I think there may be some changes done depending on retention rate after the final episode goes live but with two seasons already signed off with the current cast I'd not expect it to be a whole new direction taken out of the blue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,330 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ep 4 done and while it was a bit of an improvement here and there, I think I'm close to bailing on this. I'm just not enjoying it and sit there wondering why I'm even bothering when I could be watching something else better instead. None of this is Tolkien and I don't think Amazon ever really intended it to be. It's really their own fantasy world and they've just raped a popular brand name that fans and casuals would have been aware of.

It's still not utterly dreadful, but it's just so dull and uninteresting which really shouldn't be the case. I just cannot, for the life of me, see how this is going to last over 2 series, never mind the proposed 5. It kinda puts me in mind of 'Wayward Pines' or 'Under the Dome' or something like that, where everything became laboured very quickly and the wheels fell off resulting in a cancellation because people stopped watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,880 ✭✭✭billyhead

I'm the same. When I'm switching between browsing on my phone and watching something on TV there's a problem somewhere and this series is just getting uninteresting. The acting is terrible.

Any predictions for tomorrow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Galadriel gets into a fight with a horde of orcs. She pushes them all into a prison cell. The end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

There were no harfoots last week, payback.....

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Surely it's past time they gave some sort of steer on Starman's identity...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭liamtech

• Galadriel behaves insufferably
    • Harfoots behaving insufferably
    • Durin and Elrond talking about things that fans already know

What i actually WANT to see (and what will undoubtedly be 10% of the episode)

• Adar
    • The hilt
    • Sauron to actually show up

Id take to Melkor Worship just to get this show moving

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Some of you are way OTT in this thread.

It's a decent enough watch, far from perfect but nowhere near the train wreck you make it out to be here.

• Advertisement

decent enough watch /= most expensive tv show ever made.

the writing is trash and assumes the audience are Morons.

in todays episode the harfoots walked a fair distance across the world and in the same time a day on numenor passed - it’s just a massive lack of attention to detail.

I actually thought that when halbrand started talking about how he ended up on the raft that he was one of the villagers in the southlands and we were going to have multiple timelines which would have made sense - that would have been too complex for us to handle though.

The casual stroll between Moria and lindon reared it’s head again . It’s literally the distance travelled by frodo and Sam in the LOTR… Elrond heads over and back like he’s nipping to Aldi.

Advertisement