Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I know the scores (so far) and I know it’s a completely different Sheriff team but I still think Dundalk’s result (away- in a one match ‘round’)at Sheriff is up there.

Post edited by joeysoap on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Rovers played some decent football but just weren't clinical with their chances. And the defending for all 3 goals was very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

it’s the usual story when you go up a level. You might do ok in general play, which Rovers did in the second half, but it’s at the business ends where the failings tell. Rovers had a couple of chances which they didn’t take (Gaffney really should have scored after being presented with a great chance) At the other end, when they gave up chances Gent were clinical and dispatched them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Hard to argue with any of that. I suppose the real difference is the quality of players at this level & their ability to take a chance. They pretty much nailed theirs, one in particular being a genuine cracker of a goal, whilst Gaffney despite having an oustanding season didnt take the one genuine chance he had, had any of their attacking players been presented with it you'd expect them to finish it.

Still, a great trip for the travelling fans.

For me once the group stage was reached it was all about reverting back to concentrating on the league as its crucial that the league & the champions path that comes with it are retained so this campaign can be used as a foundation for another crack next year.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

While Gaffney has been good this year and has improved, Rovers need to get a top class striker and pay him the kind of money Jack Byrne is on if they want to move to the next level.They nearly have two sets of decent midfielders but up front its still a bit patchy.... Good to see the Ghent manager appreciating the Rovers away support!!! He must be in a minority of one......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City take the lead, could prove to be the goal that cements our promotion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

2 goals in 3 minutes have Galway in front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

**** yesss

Hon the blues

Now Treaty United at home in the Semis please god please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya a super response to going behind from us. Probably our best 35 minute spell all season and we wait til the league's over to show it. Ran our socks off, hassled, harried and played some nice football for a change. Waweru's composure for the equaliser was superb. And Charlie Lyons with a scissor kick winner, pigs flew!

Super atmosphere, a pity the junior scum from both sides ruined it at the end with their handbags.

Could the cup semi finals be mid week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

The real Dublin derby takes place Sunday. And as predicted earlier in the season, with Shels back competitive at a decent level and their fans back, with each passing encounter the bitterness and hostility is ramping back up. You can feel it. Not a rivalry manufactured after 2009. This tie carrying huge anticipation

This tie was meant to happen. Shels have to get the monkey off their back against Bohs at some point, and all the ties so far have been close, but Shels rarely getting any luck in any of them. Think this tie is poised perfectly for Shels to turn them over, and are long due a bit of fortune. Whether it's lucky early goals against us, last minute wonder strikes or deflections, when luck could go against us it has. Very little had gone our way all season in terms of fortunate goals or deflections or the rub of the green, which you sometimes need to help you along.

We're due a big win in general and against Bohs. Have that feeling something big is going to happen for Shels here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Whats Byrne on? 100k a year? 120k? Still only E2,000 a week. It`s not big money if they go shopping in Europe for a striker and they`ll be blown out of the water if they go looking in lower league England for a semi decent striker.

It would take a lot more than a striker on 2k a week to move Shams to the "next level".

Djurgardens had Victor Edvarsen playing for them the other night against Shams. He was fairly prolific for smaller Swedish sides. They spent E700,000 on him in the summer and I`ll guess they`re paying him a lot more than E2,000/week. It helps they`re playing in a league with a E50 million TV deal.

Gent spent E4 Million on Cyupers in the summer just gone! That`s the entirety of Shams` Euro prize money. Even with that kind of outlay Gent are 14 points off the league leaders and the season has only started.

There`s a ceiling for LOI sides playing out of a part-time league with no TV money and nicking a few points of much better resourced sides is unfortunately the best our sides can hope for.

Ya embarrassing behaviour by both sides junior scum elements. Whats wrong with the "youf" these days!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Absolutely, the changes gave your back 4 something to deal with. We had legs in midfield when Rowe dropped back and we were better at the back with O'Keefe dropping back too. Héry did well just getting a foot on the ball, we actually played some passing football when he was on. His physicality gave us an additional bonus too, Manning kept having the ball nicked away by Bolger I think it was up to that point. If we could channel that last 35 minutes for the rest of the season I actually think we've a chance in the playoffs. If we go back to usual JC negative sh1te then we've zero chance.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Radial

Yes, really looking forward to this one. There'll be a great atmosphere in front of a decent crowd.

There hasn't been much between the two sides so far this season as illustrated by the league table, so I'm expecting a really tight affair. It could go either way to be honest. Bohs have got the breaks against Shels so far this season, so Shels are due a bit of luck tomorrow.

The game is huge for both clubs, as neither are now going to sneak a European spot. But as Golden Miller has said, Shels are on the up and its great that the rivalry between the clubs is heating up again.

Hopefully I'll be celebrating a Shels win tomorrow evening and looking forward to a semi-final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Shels 3 up

Hope I'm wrong but nope there not drawing Waterford vs Treaty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

That is a new one the 4th official awarding free kicks now on the pitch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

At first glance a harsh red card for Shams ( professional foul).

Resulting penalty missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Was harsh but once he gave the pen he had to give a red could say justice was done that the pen was missed as it was very soft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Start of Extra time...Derry take the lead.

Missed most of second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Radial

Shels were excellent today. Probably their best performance at Tolka Park this season. It could easily have been 4 or 5.

Bohs were very negative, seeming to spend much of their time kicking Shane Farrell, including one reckless challenge where he was kicked in the face. Sean Boyd led the line well for Shels, and thoroughly deserved his two goal return. Super skill also by Jack Moylan for the first goal. I knew then it was going to be Shels day!

See Derry are 2 - 1 up now. If Derry can put Rovers out it blows the competition wide open. Roll on the draw for the semi's and Rovers at Tolka Park on Thursday night!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Worst Bohs side in living memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Any word on who will take the bohs job or will Croly/Pender keep going until the end of the season? Also what is the story with Afolabi, injured or just not good enough? Noticed he wasn't in the last squad or two.

Cups semis

Waterford vs Shelbourne

Derry City vs Treaty United

From a Waterford point of view happy to get the home draw and we should have no fear going into the game

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

No word on a manager. Season is over now so no rush but hopefully sooner rather than later.

Alofabi is injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That was amazing. Waterford away won’t be easy, but if we play like we did today that will be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Don't bank on that. We have knocked out the holders and the third best team in Ireland already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Great occasion in the Brandywell tonight, and a great result ..... in the end.

But we made hard work of it, mostly against 10 men. We have a terrible habit of only playing well in the 1st half, and did it again. Started 2nd so slow and we looked like the team with 10 men.

But we got there eventually. Rovers have looked very leggy the last 2 visits to the Brandywell. The euro games are definitely taking it out of them.

Couldn't have picked a better semi than home to Treaty.

And can definitely beat us also on the right day. But not if we play at our best like today.

Decent gap for the 4 teams in final apperences

Shelbourne- 2011

Waterford- 2004

Derry- 2014

Treaty- never in the final under that name, A Limerick United got to the final in 1981/1982 (if there anyway connected)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Knew something big was going to happen for Shels. We were due a big win

Derry game kicking off at two followed by the main event Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

No real surprises in quarter finals. 4 home winners.such is the cup draw.

• Advertisement

I reckon a Waterford/Derry final. Wonder what sort of a crowd that would bring. Will have to go some to beat last years attendance, or even get close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Bugger all from Waterford. The last final they were at in Landsdowne Road they brought about 4k. Best chance of a decent crowd is Shels/Derry. Derry fans would travel in numbers and the media would latch onto it being Duffs first chance at silverware as a manager so there`d be something in it for the neutral. 20-25k for that match. Any other pairing and it could be below 15k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

There was 3,600 at the Dundalk game and barely any away fans. Waterford would easily bring more than 4k. The RSC will handy sell out for the semi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Seated around 5k as far as I know but there’s overspill around the running track and temporary seating has been brought in in the past. There was 8000 in the RSC for an FAI Cup Semi Final against Shels in ‘97.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Distance will always affect attendance.

When you have to travel half the length of the country to get to a game that's on the box, it can deter the casual fan. Lack of spare money this year too might also be a factor.

If we get to the final, I could see maybe at least 8k coming. There has been big demand for home games this season with most selling out quickly. There's a buzz about around the club too, added to by knocking out Rovers.

Derry always bring a decent support in fairness. In three cup finals against us you had very good crowds down. Last years final was exceptional I think. Really felt like a big event. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Helped by the result of course !!

Waterford stadium holds 5100 with 3000 seats. That's what the safety certificate is for. Blues could bring in temporary seating though to bump up the attendance.

Reckon we’ll get whatever away allocation we need then yeah?

As it stands if no additional seating is put in you will get two blocks of the new stand. Same as any other game. 10% of stadium. 500 seats.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Big call...Farrelly? Bottom of the league under Aaron O'Callaghan...

On a par with Farrelly, Callaghan's team was on a shoestring and at least they put a shift in. These boys are well paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

Any shels fans able to advise what the weather is like out in Drumcondra? Any doubts about tonights match going ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

There was a pitch inspection scheduled for noon apparently. Would have thought it best to hold off until 2 or 3pm as its to clear up for the afternoon.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Richard Dunne linked with Bohs manager job

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement