Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring immersion

Options
  • 19-09-2022 5:24pm

Hey folks..

So I have to wire up an immersion, but I can't seem to find the specific one online, or the wiring colours used..

So yeah, as you can see the wires are yellow, brown, black and grey?..

Anyone know what they should be and which element is which?..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

When you installed this immersion OP did you notice was there just the one element or was there one long one and one short one?

Looks to me you have the switch wiring for a twin element (bath or wash basin) and have fitted a single element immersion?

Wake me up when it's all over.

OK my bad. Missed that there are two elements but one of the wires goes to the thermal cut out which doesn't have a screw on it only a tab for a crimp connector.

Prewired a new one looks like this

Hey..thanks..

I got it put in years ago by a plumber..I had work done in the house recently..

Never used it much, but realised it wasn't working a while ago to find out the bloody thing wasn't wired up..

Does it look like a single element?..There's the earth (the tall screw thing)..There's a connection going into the blue yoke you can just about see beside the button, and what I thought were two elements that you can put a wire through?

Yeah, sound..so any idea which wire should be which?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

• Advertisement

No electrician but I've put in a few new ones and replaced a few. They normally come pre-wired with flex attached as my picture then the question is how do you wire it at the switch end.

Yes its a dual element I was confused to start with by only having two terminals to connect wires to.

OP Question? Do you have a dual switch that has bath and sink switch on one side and an on off switch next to it?

Hey..yeah, have the two switches..and the picture shows the other side of it..

I presume the yellow/green one is earth..So its's just the black, grey and brown left to figure out..

Firstly you need to work out how you are going to attach the wire to the thermal cutout. If you cannot do that you are snookered. Needs a crimped on connector because there is no screw terminal.

I can't tell you which colour wire goes where but I can tell you enough so you can work it out for yourself. I'm saying this on the basis that if I'm totally wrong an electrician will finally jump in and tell me I'm wrong ;-)

The neutral wire goes to the thermal cut out.

The other two wires switch between the two elements that you can connect to via the obvious screw terminals.

You need to look at the switch that switches between the bath/sink and see which wires are coming from that switch.

Next is working out which element is which. If you have a VOM (electrical meter) then you can measure the resistance of the two elements. One will be around 29 ohms thats the sink one and the other 20 ohms thats the bath one that heats the whole tank.

From that you should be able to work it out if not you'll go bang and wish you'd got an electrician in.

Yeah, I can open the switch I suppose..

Where would I be measuring the resistance on the elements to?..ground?

Thanks man..

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

My advice would be to look at the other end of those wires and what switch terminals they are connected to.

Given the fact that the thing wasn't connected up properly I wouldn't trust the colours without verifying.

• Advertisement

If you look at your picture carefully (and mine) you will see the elements are joined together where the lowest brown wire goes from the link to the thermostat. Measure the resistance from there to the top screw terminal and then the screw terminal below that.

Right, yeah, I'll figure it out so..

Thanks lads..

It doesn't matter really if you get the bath/sink switch the wrong way around it just means it will do the opposite of what it says on the switch and you'll soon work that out if you have a bath when the switch is set to bath and the water runs out :-).

The bath/sink wires when switched will be live according to the switch position - provided the main switch is on.

Suggest you find the circuit breaker in the fuse board and knock that off when working on any of this.

Also good idea to p!ss the household off by checking the RCBO is working by pressing the test button. A few clocks around the house might need resetting. It needs checking though as sometimes they don't work and thats what the test button is there for. It could be an extra protection in case you screw up.

For some reason this didn't post earlier may be a bit late now?.......

I was going to draw it out but google saved me the effort. It might help to have a wiring diagram. Suggest you draw it out yourself and label up the colours of the wires and their location as you work them out

Advertisement