Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stepped wall pier options

Options
  • 19-09-2022 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering is there any better way to have an nicer looking finish where the piers on a stepped wall are.

The lad building the wall says just run wall caps over them and they'll look fine when the wall is plastered.

Like so

Originally I wanted pier caps on them all but the piers they look too high on the side the step down is and out of proportion with the piers on each end of the wall.

Like so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,050 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Yes raised piers will always look more dominant and pleasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Thanks muffler.

Just to give a better picture, the piers between the end piers had to be kept smaller as space between my neighbours and mine is tight enough so the are 450 length and 300 wide (12inch blocks).

Would you put 2 flat, higher than the wall on every pier even though they will be varying heights because of the steps?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,050 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I would think 2 higher as you said would look fine. You could always set the blocks on the piers first and have a look before proceeding just to give you an idea of the finished article. It should be fine. Did you give any thought to a slope in the wall to run parallel with the ground? Too late now but it would have been an option.

I did yeah but decided against it.

From the other side.

40 metres long

• Registered Users Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭chooseusername

It would look better if it was stepped at each pier, it would mean using 4 or 6 ins soaps though.

and like you've done with the first 2 piers, have them 2 blocks higher than the high section,

• Advertisement

Half the wall is level though so that much can't be step.

The ground is all over the place and it may not look like it in the pic but the wall at both end piers is the same height.

Advertisement