Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV Series

Options
  • 30-01-2022 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭

We've recently been watching Mother's Ruin on Forces TV, starring Roy Barraclough and Dora Bryan. We weren't expecting much but to our surprise it's quite funny. We don't know why we've never heard of it. Perhaps it didn't get good reviews at the time, there's very little online about it and zero on Youtube. We believe we are enjoying it as we quite enjoyed Last of the Summer Wine and I suppose it's along the same style of humour, daft!! Anyone else know it, or any other old TV series that have faded into the mists of time that nobody can recall?

Comments

I have Sky Package.. Don't think I have 'Forces TV' on it.. (I think Sky used to have that channel)

Never got round to watching it, but looked to have some decent old shows on it iirc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

George and Mildred, off shoot of Man about the House (which was popular but I wasn't a fan)

Brian Murphy and Yootha Joyce, due to Yootha's untimely death it was cut short.

Classic early 80's comedy on ITV 4 afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

We enjoyed George & Mildred, mainly for hapless George, Brian Murphy. Wasn't keen on Yootha Joyce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Only aired for 2 years but we never missed an episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

I remember a programme called The Onedin Line. I don't recall much of the cast or plot but my mum used to love it. Woe betide if we made any racket when it was on ! ☺️

• Advertisement

Ohh wow, that brought back memories. Funny isn't it how evocative music is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I ditched TV over 30 years ago and now am watching eg "All Creatures great and Small" and "Casualty" on youtube as I am semi bedbound. Really enjoying, and knitting as I watch..Far more so than if I needed to tune in at a set time on a set day.

Thought of you late last night as the Onedin Line was on just as I was heading to bed. So if you happen to have the Talking Pictures TV channel you might find another, I don't know if they were showing just this episode or the series. I was too tired to watch unfortunately.

I've not come across Talking Pictures TV but I'm in the UK so maybe it isn't on our tv ?

Thank you for the thought tho :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's on Freesat, Freeview and Sky in the UK. Well worth tuning in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Little House on the Prairie

The High Chaparral

Bonanza

Alias Smith and Jones

Poldark

The Waltons

The Rockford Files

All watched on a Black and White TV 😳

You learn summat new every day !

Thank you Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Time Tunnel from 1966 was on Legend tonight. It was dated but brought back memories.

It's a British channel, in fact it's very British oriented as it shows old British films, and TV programmes. Mike Read is one of the presenters on The Footage Detectives which is a nostalgic look at old British stuff. It's the kind of thing we all grew up with in the 50's and 60's. Check it out, Talking Pictures TV has a Youtube channel too so you'd get an idea what it's about. We have free TV so the channel just happened to be listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭trashcan

The Fugitive, still shown regularly on one of the CBS channels. Used to be on every evening, now it’s Sunday mornings, about 3 episodes in a row. It’s a bit hammy, but I love it. A great concept, with Barry Morse as the detective obsessed with catching David Jannsen. Great episodes when the two of them meet up.

Remember Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea? All these shows were on once a week and I sometimes couldn't wait for the next episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭trashcan

I don’t know if my memory is playing tricks, I was only a child at the time, but I have a recollection of an announcer calling it the one din line 😄. I’ve never been able to think of it as anything else since. (Or maybe I just came up with that myself !)

I'll definitely be having a look for it. Thanks 👍

In this household it will be known henceforth as the one din line. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

The Kids of Degrassi Street

The Beachcombers

Moving on from TV series, have you seen any old movies recently? I watched 'The Uncle' recently on Talking Pictures TV. It's set in the 1960's about a 7yr old boy as he experiences the trials and tribulations of living with his 7yr old naughty nephew when he comes to stay. Rupert Davies is dad. Very little scenes with the adults, mainly scenes with the children. It took me straight back to the 60's when my brother and I played cowboys and injins together, all the same language, the same naughtiness, name-calling, nothing really nasty, good old days. At first I wasn't going to stick with it, but I did, and was glad. There is just one minute of it on Youtube for a flavour of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47amn_VCNuU.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭cml387

"Secret Army" is running at the moment on TPTV.

Created by "Colditz" creator Gerald Glaister, it is another wartime series set in Belgium featuring Resistance fighters running an escape line for British airmen, returning them to the UK. The main character runs a restaurant. And if that sounds familiar, well 'Ello 'Ello stole the whole idea for a comedy some years later.

I remember the opening titles and music being very affecting, but the series now seems overshadowed by Rene and The Fallen Madonna With The Big Boobies.

Incidentally there is controversary over the very last episode of the series which was made but never transmitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

You can add Mannix to that - on RTÉ throughout late 70s

don’t remember much about it but the opening music was class

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Morris Code

Talking Pictures is fascinating if u are of a certain age and were around in the 50s and 60's.Some gems pop up.You often get a chance to see actors in very early roles who later became well known on TV.Watched one recently from 1930s because a young Jimmy O'Dea was in it.Irish actors often pop up in some of those old Brit movies.Always worth checking their listings

What's even better about TPTV is that it shows old ITV programmes for Associated Rediffusion, ABC, ATV etc.

ITV nowadays scandalously ignore their back catalog so kudos to TPTV for showing them.

Most heartedly agree. I've seen more Irish actors on TP in the last few months, very entertaining. As well as the TV series I love the old films as well, I recorded 'Laughter in Paradise' this week only because Alastair Sim was in it, loved his characters (British).

By the way some old tv series are turning up on Youtube now.

There are quite a few episodes of Softly Softly: Task Force there, a series I am particularly interested in as I discovered in recent years that it was shot around the Medway towns where I'm from originally.

Yes, I've noticed that although I haven't managed to watch any yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Iggy Pop

"Never mind the quality feel the width" with Joe Lynch

Z cars

Diixon of dock Green "Good evening all" (my English Friend often says this when he comes in my local. Lost on the US crowd but gets a smile from me every time)

Softy Softly

The theme music at the end of Coronation St meant it was bedtime. Bleak, depressing black and white footage ushering me to bed.

Advertisement