Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oulwans n' Oulfellas Rock On!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Hmmm, have to think what bribes I'd like! 😀

I've been daydreaming. I recently began to think about how nice it would be to move house. Well, mainly because our house is full of decades of our hoarded stuff, plus the childers' stuff that they left behind, and wouldn't it be nice to move to a nice new clean uncluttered house. Of course it will never happen, but folks, would you, or have you ever moved at this late stage in your life to a new place where you didn't know anybody? If yes, how did that go for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes I did, three years ago, then again two years ago. The first time was a significant move anticipating a major project which had to be abandoned after quite a lot of work due to health reasons. I then moved to another house somewhat closer to my original house but still about 40 minutes away.

I am a 'mover', I don't mind moving, in fact I have quite a low boredom threshhold and have moved quite a few times in my life. Moving is a great way of 'clearing out' your life. A bit drastic, granted. You could get a skip and just have a clear out - I have done that a good few times too. I don't tend to hoard stuff (apart from craft/sewing/woodworking stuff 😊). I can be ruthless about chucking out old stuff.

I love a project and at the moment am still sorting this latest house and garden. I hope this will be my last place, but if I have to move again, so be it.

That is quite a lot of moving Looksee, doubt I could cope with that myself. I only moved twice, once when I got married and left my mammy, and then a few years later hubby and I moved to a bigger house. I think I'd find it easy to declutter my own stuff but can't really touch the stuff belonging to the rest of the family - they'd kill me!!

Be ruthless, if the rest of the family want their stuff, tell them to take it away or it is gone! The mammy storage facility is closing down! I am down to one single box and even that is under discussion.

I have lived in 6 different houses since I was married - though the first three didn't require significant furniture moving. All the others involved a skip (and other disposal methods) before I moved. I still have a certain amount of infrequently used and 'might come in useful' stuff, but it is now of manageable proportions.

• Advertisement

I am putting pressure on them to take their stuff but their accommodation is very limited, and occasionally it sounds like one day at least one of them might have to come back to mammy, including their partner, all depending on their rent increases!! 😬 How about new neighbourhoods, do you find it easy to make new friends, get to know the neighbours, join groups? Anyone had these experiences?

Someone mentioned Jim Reeves - I’ve a bit of affection for him as listened to his songs as a youngster when staying with an aunt on holiday

”Stand at your window some night,

again you will see, the one who’s been holding, the best part of me”

at least that’s what I remember the lyrics to be- quite strange I have to say and a bit rudey if your mind wanders a bit 😂😂😂

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My dad was into Jim Reeves.....

....anyway, some proper rock from the Queen drummer a couple of weeks ago:

and this is what he looked like 35 years ago

In my opinion he was the 'prettiest one' in the video 'I want to break free'! 😁

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That video destroyed them in the US until Bohemian Rhapsody became part of the Wayne's World legacy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Imagine.. Freddy Mercury sang " fat bottom girls you make the rocking world go round!" . My go -to Queen song is " We will, we will Rock you !"

but I think this song is very artistic, both musically and in its uses of lyrics, and the visuals. A lot of talent;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Alice1

PlentyOh Toole, I am looking at you - I can spot a bold one a mile off! Incidentally, we never let our minds wander here - who knows when they'll come back! Happy New Year me dears.

Happy New Year to one and all!

As my daughter just messaged, 'Happy New Year, or at least lets hope for less interesting times'.

Lets hope this will be a better year than the last two, plagues are getting a bit old now!

Indeed, Looksee. We are well over plagues now. Time for it to disappear, forever!! Begone Covid!!

Just poured a glass of wine, there's loads left from Christmas, we drank hardly any. The bottle suggests it has flavours of passion fruit and gooseberry. I'm not getting it. Kiwi fruit maybe. You know the way kiwi fruit makes your cheeks suck in when you eat one? Like that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Are you sure it's not balsamic vinegar? 😁🥂

Add sugar and spices and turn it into mulled wine. 😉

To be honest it was not that bad...I drank it anyway! I was just amused by the passion fruit and gooseberry 😀 At the same time, not that amazing. I have the spices mind you, would mulled wine work with white wine though? I never tried it.

We bought a couple of wines at Christmas for our guests, ye know I'm a tea-aholic even at Christmas time although I did indulge in a taste of the wine, I hated it! Anyway we had to wait until our guests advised us as to the characteristics of the wines. All they said was one 'wasn't that nice', and the other 'was a bit better'!! I don't know how to buy wine. 😕

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It would. It wouldn't be as full-bodied, but it'd be lovely. If cider can be mulled, then white wine is good, too. 🙂

• Advertisement

Happy New Year all-nice to see you’re all still alive 😀

Stay well throughout 2022🙂

I'll try a drop of it mulled, NH, see how it goes.

Happy New Year to you PohT, 'still alive' is a bit relative at this time of year. Roll on spring!

On the wine, I'm not much of a wine connoisseur myself. I only buy white and I don't entirely subscribe to the 'more expensive is that much better' theory, up to a point. Some is. I only drink white (red gives me migraines). I generally like Chilean wine over, say, Italian (I think that makes me a wine-peasant) and one I have found that is reliable and enjoyable is Casillero del Diablo, especially the Pinot Grigio. Apparently the red is considered better than the white, but I liked it.

I once tasted a red Casillero del Diablo in a friend's house (it was still poured amid my polite refusal) and found it was pleasantly sweet enough for me to finish the glassful but when I bought a bottle for ourselves it tasted awful so I have to assume there are more than one red Diablo. If I am to drink wine it must resemble Ribena!!!!

Happy New Year Plenty, I'm still alive, and vertical thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Being a renter.. I have moved NINE TIMES in my 20 years in Ireland, such is the instability of the rental market here. In my 7th year here and as it is council-owned and where noone wants to live.. This place is too small so never fully unpacked. Getting too old for this

This is a bit of a late reply, but it does take time to get to know new places - the 'bosom friends within a week of moving into a pretty cottage in the country' scenario of novels doesn't happen. This last time I moved covid hit almost immediately, so I had not had time to really get to know the neighbours - and of course quite a lot of neighbours are perfectly nice people, they just don't want to get to know anyone new, beyond a passing greeting, and that's totally fine. I was so busy with the new house and garden that covid wasn't a problem.

Once Covid got over itself I found there was a community centre in the village that was looking for people to organise classes etc, so I started a voluntary group that is going quite nicely and I am getting to know a few people there. Also you don't lose touch with old friends, and often find yourself more likely to organise meet-ups than when they were closer.

It's a while since all this chat and I had to re-read and refresh my memory. And of course, the hooley never even happened!! 😕

A few old rockers from my albums

Paul Jones at 80 years and 42 days, the Manfreds (originally Manfred Mann), Harrogate, 7 April 2022

Paul McCartney, 80 years and 67 days, Taylor Hawkins Tribute Concert, 3 September 2022

Tom McGuinness, 80 years and 126 days, the Manfreds, Harrogate, 7 April 2022

Bobby Elliott, the Hollies, 80 years and 169 days, Derby Arena, 26 May 2022

and the oldest rocker of all, Tom Jones at 82 years and 10 days, the Principality Stadium, Cardiff, 17 June 2022

(I've another 75 or so examples of performers in their 70s)

When you see all these guys still rockin', and President Higgins is over 80, I'm still really miffed that when I was made redundant at the end of 2008 and try as I might I just couldn't get another job in my 50's!

• Advertisement

I officially retired at the end of June, but am doing more on my equestrian place in Wexford than I did in 40 years sat at a desk in an office. Just I am now free to go on my 5+ day road trips in search of gigs where many of the performers find their way into my "Zimmerframe Rock" album

Advertisement