Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

As per KCLRs the Saturday Show this morning Samaritans're opening a Carlow branch in the Autumn, think September maybe, in St. Catherines.

• Serious commotion outside Halfords right now. Fire Brigade and Paramedics. Area tapered off.

Hopefully no one seriously hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

I passed by Braun this morning and I seen a number of truck around the back so there is activity there but I am wondering if the news will be good given what's doing the rounds on the jungle telegraph.🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

• Advertisement

Tullow Road Pedestrian & Cycle Scheme is now open to public for submissions until 23;59 on Friday the 5th of October 2022 https://consult.carlow.ie/en/consultation/tullow-road-pedestrian-cycle-scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Will they be real houses/apartments or for show since the company that bought the site build timber framed houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Be well and win

There are lorries out the back of Braun so they have clearly started the clear out. In order for it to be converted to houses/appts, they would need a change in the council plan from industrial zoning to housing, then they would need to get planning permission and given the fact that most of OBR on both sides is set aside for business, I'd be surprised if it was granted. Not saying it wouldn't be but it would take a couple of years for all of that to go through.

I suppose only time will tell what will happen with the site.

I have to admit I know zero about making prefab trusses or timber framed houses but comparing the Harmony building, which has been acquired by the same company, to the Braun building it would appear to me that former is much higher that the latter to facilitate overhead gantry cranes. I worked In Braun for a couple of years in the 00's and I wouldn't think it would have the internal height for cranes but as I said I know zilch about the process that's supposedly being planned for the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Fairgreen is up sale if you have spare €23m and want to the landlord.

• Advertisement

Q1 2023 is scheduled start for Carlows 2 Cross Town Bus Services with the draft map of routes & stops here via Cllr. John Cassin (Ind.)  https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=5466589370093555&set=a.612712168814657

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

It'll all come down to cost on whether it'll be used or not, but going by public transport costs in general (Bus Eireann / Irish Rail) I can see it being marginally to prohibitively too costly.

Govt in fairness have cut fares by 20% this year and that is going to extend into next year.

I think the bigger issue will be the fact that it doesn't stop at the train station, I get the logic because of the fire station junction but it would be worth our glorious council trying to address that junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Even with the price of diesel currently, it would be cheaper to drive to Dublin than take the train (not counting the monthly travel saver tax thingy). That is not how public transport should be, it should be an easy decision with the price being less than half what it would take in a car.

This needs to be €1-€2 for it to be used.

It's actually not that much cheaper to drive, a return adult ticket to Dublin is €17.5, the equivalent petrol/diesel cost would be €10-€15. The young adult ticket at least then a tenner is very good value in fairness.

An additional train on the route was announced yesterday as well.

Fares for the in town bus service are likely to be only €1-€2, especially as the 20% reduction in fares is being extended. After all, a single Luas trip in Dublin is only €2 now

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Anyone have any info about when Subway is re-opening? Nothing on the website and nothing on their Facebook page?

As of signs today it's back open tomorrow, Saturday the 24th of September; the signs weren't exactly very "official" looking (not Subway headed & footed for example) but enjoy your footlongs again from tomorrow.

They also had a sign, Subway official, saying "Bare with us"; it should've been "Bear with us"; unless they were running round inside in the nip I guess......

well given the fact that their "bread" has been legally confirmed as cake due to it's sugar content, not sure why anybody would want a cake ham sandwich anyway, but each to their own. Have to say, the once or twice I was in there it was a seriously depressing place to be, so dark and dingy

MacAuleys Healthcare, Sam MacAuleys in old money, is closing it's Carlow S.C. premises at the end of October, Halloween Monday the 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

that'll be the death of Carlow Shopping centre so

• Advertisement

Only other anchor left from 1994'd be Peter Marks I think?

MacAuleys Shamrock Plaza unit is in an ideal location esp. during week; Centric & Dolmen Med. Centres, Kiwi Dental & a Foot Clinic too I think?

But Carlow S.C. one is a major negative for management there; MacAuleys'd stuck it out when Superquinn went & then when Supervalu went; I guess in those cases perhaps a replacement'd already been identified & now there's no such certiainty?

Counted a while back; think internally & externally, incl. anchor tenant premises there was 5-6 vacant unit incl. concession stands like the ice-cream & phone ones; Centz gone, clothes shop beside toilets.

In its favour there's 3-4 years left on Carlow Islamic Cultural Centre lease (whose footprint comprises Crackerjacks Creche on 1st Floor & also Chartbusters downstairs), Gaolhouse Fair occurs monthly, Omniplex, Wild Flower Cafe, Alive & Well Healthfood Shop, Recovery Hub, Serenas Boutique, Vape Shop, Auto Factors (apologies if I've them mistitled), Magic Bow Kids Boutique (recently relocated inside) I-Devices & yes, Peter Marks...............plus Bite of Style, a new womens fashion store is opening this week I think.......

Elsewhere within the campus there's a Mosque & Halal Shop & another vacant unit beside Recovery Hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Clearly the Shopping centre is very poorly managed in terms of marketing and getting new tenants/ideas- they got lucky for a few years with Penneys but telling they had no alternative lined up immediately for what is a fine location. It’s abysmal and a long way from the mid 90s when it was buzzing with Superquinn- a shop I sorely miss here in Kilkenny too. The Market cross has declined a lot too but nowhere near as bad as Carlow SC has.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 CraftBeer

I'd like to see a much bigger Easons going into Carlow SC. The one in the Fairgreen is a glorified newsagents. Tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That won’t be happening. Not a particularly strong market, low margin. And going into the dead Carlow SC would be suicide unless the rent was tiny. Which it wouldn’t be.

I was in Easons in the Fairgreen on Saturday morning, 1 person in there aside from me. I do thing they have room to stock more in there. brexit, inflation and the collapse in sterling not helping, price of UK magazine is gone crazy

Was a bit shocked, admittedly not in Easons, but to walk into Bookstation & buy my monthly periodical, Four Four Two in past week or so & it's jumped in price by about 4 Euro; Bookstation were generally cheaper than Easons for it too so guessing it's more expensive there now too; they're the only 2 Newsagents/Retailers who stock it in Carlow so not much shopping around available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Interesting read on front page of the nationalist. If people aren't happy they are welcome to leave and look elsewhere for accommodation. You would think they would be happy that they are not getting shot at or bombs dropping on their heads. There are many students and low income families living in substandard accommodation, but you just have to make the most of what you have until better days come. It's the way the property market has evolved into unfortunately.

Another business pulling out of Carlow S.C. as of this Saturday the 8th of October; Magic Bow Boutique, a childrens clothes store has announced its closure.

Are you saying students and low income families shouldn't be protesting about sub standard accomadation and should just suck it up. ?

But if you are getting paid by the State, you also have a responsibility to treat people with a little bit of dignity and respect.

• Advertisement

Brilliant letter by playwright John McKenna in Letters to the Editor on Page 32 of this weeks paper about the Visual & it being in receipt of another funding from the council.

Big takeaway from it for me is the elitist nature of it; 1500 for a show (admittedly I'm unaware if that's per day/night or if it'd cover a 2-3 night run?) when the average Arts Council grant is €1,500...........

Millstone around the councils neck; so often in recent years there's been a begging bowl before the council for funding.

Bearing in mind the seating capacity is only what, like maybe 350? With prices like that it's no wonder shows're few & far between as per Mr. McKenna & why it lies dark most nights in the week.

Obviously am unaware how Moate, Draoícht, Civic Theatre etc.'re performing in other counties, National Opera House in Wexford, Watergate too in comparison.

Advertisement