Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenagers with no value for life and no care for repercussions - **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I didn’t personally insult anyone.

As many folk say on here - ‘it’s common sense’. If you allow deprived areas to remain deprived then this will happen. Taking the piss out of people saying that and using a strong Dublin accent to exaggerate it is what’s insulting here.

You do you though. See what happens when you do nothing for an area that’s screaming out for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

What that area needs is stronger policing and repercussions for anti social and illegal behaviour. There won't be anyone in that video without a roof over their head and food in their stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

A question I have is when you get the usual folks on saying they have no amenities, what do they mean? Most places have all sorts of clubs sports and social ones in the area what amenities are people talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

I’m waiting for @Faugheen to explain what makes it a deprived area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭batman_oh

A dirt bike track in the middle of the estate maybe. That'll definitely stop them acting like animals. There is almost nowhere else in the world (maybe Scandanavia) that does more for people like this - yet it's all somebody else's fault when the parents don't bother parenting. They have access to everything, and far more than people outside of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Stupid if I don’t see what?

I joke about the “faciliteez” excuse because it’s a complete load of bollocks - they’ve loads of facilities. I grew up in a rural area with sweet f all to do and no money to go anywhere. Long summers could be boring as hell. Still somehow never went around terrorising people and assaulting people for the craic.

What’s your solution to the problem anyway? They’ve already got free housing, medical, travel, education, dole etc etc - maybe we should throw more money at the problem and that’ll fix things somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Dublin is out of control. A sad lawless sight at the moment. I live and work here and observe very closely what is happening. There is no fear of the Guards. I was in town buying stuff for the GFs birthday a few weeks back and witnessed 3 crimes in 30 minutes.

The Guards need to be equipped better and given a bigger mandate to batter seven shades of shite out of youths like this. One family estate Hyundai sent into that crowd!!???

When the Guards do the paperwork and bring people before the courts they need to be backed up and not hindered in their role as Tommy 200 convictions is sent on his way. The force is nowhere near perfect as the ACU is discovering, but those that are good in the force need to be supported.

The justice system, that is the real root cause of these issues. An absolute laughable **** farce full of entitled wasters.

These kids are not deprived except for maybe in them and their parents heads. They live in Ireland for **** sake. They have every opportunity going. Visit the unsanitized Favelas of Rio or Sao Paolo and I'll show you deprived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I can't imagine that would solve it? There must be something causing the issue that needs to be solved.

You could probably guess where these things are happening when they appear on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭munsterfan2

We need to reform the education system, try get kids early and ensure they get a good start in life. Start with the kindergarten & primary schools in the most troubled / deprived areas, class size of 10 or smaller, school starts at 8.00 with breakfast, kids on rota to help with the prep / cleanup. Same for lunch & dinner. School runs until 6 / 6.30 so kids are going home fed, with various activities etc interspersed throughout the day. No homework for outside school. Then move this on to secondary school, maybe a longer day to 7:00 / 7:30. Build in expectations of careers / apprenticeships / college from a young age. Build in social responsibility around the school. Kids responsible / help out with food prep / serving / cleaning etc. Same with the school facilities.

If it helped even a percentage of the kids achieve a life where they contribute to society it would be money well spent & money saved on dealing with them as adults

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Deprived maybe but they're not lacking facilities. I've lived nearby so I do know the area, I've brought my kids to the local playground when they were small.

The incident was beside a local community centre, there is lots of open space, there are grass and astro pitches nearby, basketball courts, a local authority run swimming pool / leisure centre, an equestrian centre for those that love the horses but if they need 4 wheels and an engine to get their kicks, there's even a karting track close by.

There are serious social problems to be addressed but this one cannot be put down to lack of facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

That's all well and good but the big problem is not actually the kids, its the parents. Parents don't give a crap about the kids and let them off to do what they want to whom they want with no consequences from the parents. If a scheme like you say and to its a good one but it would need to have buy in from the parents because you can bet the parents of some of the kids wouldn't be arsed getting up 8am to bring the kid.

Looking at the videos from last night surely the parents must know this is what their kids are getting up to but I bet if the kid was brought home by a Garda the parents would probably laugh and tell the Garda to F**k off with the little toerag laughing his ass off. Same if another adult was to catch one of them and drag them home to their parents more than likely the response would be the adult getting attacked. The parents and their kids both need to be held responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you are basically suggesting that the state raises the kids, which would suggest the problem is the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Tarring an entire community and multiple generations with the same brush there tbh man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Most 14-18 year olds live with their parents the world over. Try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Unfortunately my preferred approaches would not be implementable.

Yeah because they're ALL out acting the maggot, every last one, man, woman and child..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

the amenities that are truly required in such areas is actually extremely complex, a high amount of health professionals such as physiatrists, psychologists, social workers etc etc are also required, the typical amenities as mentioned, are common, and are a critical requirement, but if the other fore mentioned are also not truly included, you may forget about it, as theres normally a high concentration of complex psychological issues and dysfunctional behaviors also occurring, which requires long term professional services, in order to maintain some sort of functionality.

this is well communicated in this recent times podcast....

...i.e. if you dont include these long term professional services, you may forget about a good outcome....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

It's an extremely complex issue and one that seems to be a problem worldwide. A lot of big European cities are having this problem now. I've seen similar stuff happen in Naples, Paris, Marseille, Manchester etc... How is it addressed and remedied is a massive puzzle for governments.

Absolutely 100%. The lack of facilities mantra often is played as a get out of responsibilities card for a lot of parents.

I honestly think a lot of it is just plain old laziness from (some) parents. Unfortunately whole areas fall to pieces because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...and i generally call this lazy research, you ll actually find many of these social dysfunctions are generational, meaning parents have inherited their dysfunctions from their parents, and so on, and on, and on..... again, long term, and in many cases, lifetime professional supports and care is actually required to try deal with such dysfunctions, we rarely implement such supports, so, on, and on, and on.....it goes....

You are either deliberately trolling or incredibly naive if you think people in that area have the "same opportunities" as kids growing up in Foxrock or Malahide with parents who encourage and love them.

You need to be specific if you're being sarcastic in text, otherwise it results in confusion.

I didnt say anything about 14-18 year olds, but you go ahead and assume whatever ye like

This behaving has gone on for years, but as mindsets become more liberal, this becomes worse. When I was young if I step off the line my parents punish me. Now if a guy is wrong they console him and blame the state. Also, hard for the police, because if they touch these juniors they get accused of abuse. And the courts are, sadly, courts of LAW, not JUSTICE, and too easy to persuade with tears of misfortune in up bringing.

This will only get fixed when the community as a whole steps in - people know who the disfunctions are, but are afraid, so EVERYBODY needs to stick together

• Advertisement

I have never seen your posts before today, so i don't know when you're saying something like "Scum begets scum so." you actually don't mean it. Tbh though, your attitude stinks.

Advertisement