Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Do you think that is an apt comparison? I mean you could afford a a Ford sh1tbox if it does the job of getting you from A to B so its not really a good compare and do you not think the state wont step in? As they already have the supports in place. People losing their job with a mortgage have the "family home" protected. You forget the Marxist paradise that is Ireland the tax payer gets to subsidize everyone's issues. The only way for house prices to drop is immigration figures reversing or a miraculous uptick in new builds as the pool of potential customers still need to live somewhere if they remain in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

There are government schemes in place to subsidise your housing need if you lose your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

The housing market should be like the car market; plenty of choice for all budgets, options to buy or lease and not a lot of interference from State agents, with plenty of competition among suppliers.

Yes, but not in 2022 as for me the long term (ie next 10 years) view is for a continuous reversal in house prices and rents. I believe, unless wages soar, there is scope for up to 50% correction in rents during this correction (Note: correction, not crash).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There are still a huge number of people with the financial resources to buy the limited stock available. We all know it could take 10 years for a bank to repossess a house if the mortgage isn’t being paid. Also, if the economy contracts, developers will stop building.

• Advertisement

You think houses should be like cars?

Automated factories churn out all types of cars in massive numbers, something which cannot be replicated in the housing market. If you haven’t noticed, the price of cars has increased and supply decreased as a result of the pandemic/war in Ukraine. I want to change my car, the dealer will not even look at my current one to give me a price to change because it will be at least the third quarter of next year before it can be delivered. The price will sure have gone up though they tell me.

Incidentally, there has been regional EU State aid for the automotive industry as it employs 5% of the population (12.9 million employed people) google is your friend.

Have any of your many predictions ever been accurate? Rents will drop 50% in 10 years now, not this year as you predicted. This 10 year prediction, might it occur as supply increases?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Timing belt

But you said by the end of 2022 if I’m not mistaken.

you also said that the rental market would collapse as people left the country to wfh in another country and that immigration would never return to pre covid levels…

if your changing your opinion now from a short term horizon to ten years then why in Gods name we’re you telling everyone not to buy and rent as housing will fall back to 2012 prices.

lay your cards on the table where will house prices be at the end of the year compared to the start of 2021. I said at the start of the year we will see a 5% increase with ups and downs during the year.. I still stand over this prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

And it begins...sentiment moves markets above all else ..

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/meta-starts-to-shrink-its-dublin-base-gq9lp6g2p

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Balluba

indeed! And Zuckerberg said that we could be facing one of the worst recessions in recent history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I don’t get his ‘margin calls’ from investors there are practically no derivatives in play. The only one I could think of is an IRD and if a fund has that in place they have hedged for interest rate rises…can’t see any fund taking out an IRD to protect them from rates going lower.

if he is using the term margin calls to mean breaches in loan covenants then yes funds that are highly leaveraged may see their credit being revoked by banks. But you need to remember that the investors will be legally committed to lend to the fund. The main reason they borrowed from a bank rather than drawing down on the investors commitment is because it was cheaper and helped the fund manager meet his hurdle so he can be paid his big bonus.

If he is referring to fund investors looking for redemptions then they will pay dearly to exit their investment and not provide the capital they have committed. the penalties are to steep to exit by choice the only reason an investor would pay the penalties would be as part of a insolvency proceedings.

if these investors enter insolvency then you are talking about a financial crash because these investors are normally high net worth individuals or financial institutions such as pension fund, insurance etc. the financial institutions are regulated and required to hold reserves so it’s unlikely that they would enter insolvency. High net worth individuals will have a balanced portfolio so unless we see a crash in all equity classes it’s unlikely they will become insolvent.

Finally as we saw during covid in the early days of lockdowns…fund manager’s were able to execute clauses that prevented investors redemptions if it significantly impaired the underlying asset.

The same would be the case here only for central bank rules keeping somewhat of a cap on house prices to increase.

The other thing that was interested in the article was rents being up 10%….if people aren’t buying then they are renting and the more people looking to rent means that rents rise unless the increase in rental demand is accompanied by an increase in rental supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

They must be delighted. That will give the slum-lord politicians and bureaucrats great returns on their modern tenements...

We can forget about a meaningful increase in supply. The only thing that will bring down rents and house prices will be a fall in demand.  

Which politicians and bureaucrats house their tenants in slums?

Many politicians are very likely to be out of the Dail after the next election because of housing issues, it is very much in their interest to improve the situation. And there are many reasons for the slow down in building which are unconnected to politicians like planning, labour shortage, availability and cost of materials. Also, politician’s targets are often aspirational, missing them isn’t unusual.

It will be interesting to see the publics reaction if SF are elected to Government, when they can’t deliver on all their promises and miss their targets.

Oh dont worry, the delusional experts on here still think they know more than him!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Balluba

Todays Irish Independent carries a story about Glenveagh Homes selling a development of 140 apartments to be completed in 2 years in Blackrock Co Dublin to a German cuckoo fund - Union Investment.

Last year this same fund bought another development of 435 apartments in Ashtown Dublin 15. These one and 2 bed apartments will NEVER come on the open market where owner occupiers can buy them. THEY are all to be rented out.

If a protest is arranged about this I will be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Very good read and makes a lot of sense for anyone to understand. We are looking at a very different property crash to 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Virtually every new apartment development in Dublin doesn't hit the market for sale, I just find it amazing that nobody cares until its a housing estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭quokula

Protest at high rents. Also protest at new properties being made available for rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭Villa05

Raw material cost was yesterday's news most materials are back at pre war prices and falling, availability of labour and wage inflation not an issue as reported by glenveigh during the quarter with the greatest inflation impact. Govt targets were set low and not revised to take account of the jump in population or refugee influx.

The industry knows it's dealing with the village/nation idiot in the government and will extract every last cent out the government.

A slowdown would be the perfect opportunity for a government to pick up the slack and meet its targets.

Over the last decade opportunity after opportunity has been passed up to fix this but gov appear disinterested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Protest on 24 September. It seems to be a general protest though with no clearly stated means to reduce the cost of living, i.e. looks like more borrowing is the answer not better regulation...

Houses due for delivery today would have had to break ground months ago. Just because prices are lower today doesn’t mean you can turn a key in the door tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭Villa05

I believe the concern about targets is commencements, maybe this crowd could switch on the afterburners, again if there is slack, have projects ready

• Registered Users Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Raw materials costs unfortunately isnt yesterdays news, certain costs have come down, steel, aluminium etc but interest rates have increased, fuel prices remain high as do logistics. From what ive seen prices of construction increased early this year and they have stayed at that level overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

This will all be dropping over the next 6 - 18 months China are out as a building market and I cant see them recovering for a few years and as building stalls all over the world there will be a glut of raw materials that have been produced but no one wanting them at the prices they are currently at. So they can either warehouse which would cost storage and stop production which would also means job losses and other losses to the companies or they can reduce the cost of the raw materials in order to move those materials on. There will be a bit of pigheadedness with this as the gravy has been flowing into their coffers for the last number of years but we are living in straightened times. Producers of raw materials and builders will have to accept a thinner profit margin and compete or hit the wall .

You don't understand, there is no demand from individuals to buy them. Only big funds will buy them. So you will line up to live in them and pay €2.5k per month in rent and be thankful that they have been built at all because it's all your fault we don't have new apartments on the open market for not being able to afford them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

You'll forgive my being a trifle hyperbolic, but many politicians are invested in property. This is known. I don't think that we need to drop names, and probably that would be against forum rules.

The state has, as I see it, done nothing to reduce rents or lower house prices. It has, conversely, done a lot to either directly or indirectly increase them. Indeed, I don't believe that anyone in government or the civil service has even said that they wish to reduce rents or house prices. All that we have seen is "supports", or to speak more honestly, giving people more money, which inflates prices.

What can we draw from this? Well, it seems very clear to me that the state WANTS high prices to remain. Be under no illusion, a sizable chunk of the population wants this too, so in that sense, the state is giving this demographic what it wants. Unfortunately, this is more of the maddingly short-sighted, boomernomics that is crippling the West.

I agree completely that Sinn Fein will not be able to deliver on most of what they promise, because what they are promising is having one's cake and eating it. Regardless of who is in power, the apparatus of the state itself doesn't change much. The system is set up to drive up accommodation prices, and voting in a gang of lefty lunatics and economic illiterates won't change very much.

• Advertisement

I absolutely agree with you that in an effort to curb rent rises, Government meddling has had the opposite effect, pushing rents up and Landlords out. For that they deserve to be pilloried.

But I’m not sure how you think they can do anything more to drive rents down. They can’t magically build houses to rent, much as investment funds are despised on boards, they are the only ones providing rental properties in any meaningful way at the moment. If the Government reduce rental supports, the unintended consequence would be the eviction of those who rely on it.

I really don’t see the issue with politicians owning rental properties as long as they declare them, I doubt anyone could accuse this Government of introducing any legislation which favours landlords, if anything the legislation has been decidedly unfavourable.

Advertisement