Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I found this channel on youtube last night. Seems very interesting as not a million miles away from me here in Leitrim (They are in rooskey) and are improving land which was left go wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmlMz5-1vgs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Is there any particular time or day people watch videos?

As in, does a new video on Sunday morning get more viewers than the same video posted on a Monday afternoon?

Or does it make zero difference?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Odelay

As I understand it, the most important is to be regular, stick to a schedule that you can maintain. Not to start off doing five videos a week and then run out of material.

Farmer Phil and Just A Few Acres had good videos on this explaining how YouTube works for them, when to schedule videos etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Farmer Dan

Its to get people to click on the notification is the important thing. At least they know the video is up and they'll watch it when ever suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭youllbemine

Thought he was excellent alright. Completely forgot about him as hasn't posted in 7 months now. Hopefully still at it and posting in coming months.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. I’ll figure it out as best I can.

I watched one of Farmer Phil's videos on how he makes his yesterday evening. He puts a lot of work into it, in fairness to him. Looks to have a good camera too. A go-pro-9 I think he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Id hazard a guess that most of the views and subscriber's on the larger farming youtube channels are children who are obsessed with machinery. A significant number of comments under the videos would back up that theory. "First".

Livestock and grass management videos will appeal more to a more mature audience but there may not be as many views as it may not appeal to as many younger viewers, but that doesn't mean the channel is in any way less interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Farmer Dan

I agree with Fintan's comments above. Stick with what you are at & give it time. Stick with atock / management videos.

What ever you do dont go off getting new machinery etc or doing videos of making silage 3 times a year every year...... we all do that so not going to site down looking at someone else doing it.....

Just my thoughts, no offence meant to any youtubers channels. Each to there own & all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I agree, videos on silage making are of no benefit to any farmer watching it. What I like watching on these videos is the trail of new things like low cost liquid fertilizers, slurry additives etc and how they preformed. Farmer Phil seems to have got on very well with their B Evergreen liquid fertilizer spray off Nova Q this year, might try it on some grassland that I want closed off for next year soon.

These are what most lads I would imagine would like to find out and expand their knowledge on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Just watched Tom Pemberton setting up his midden. Should those RSJ's have been galvanised or treated in some way? If it was me I think my preference would have been to mount the panels to the inside of the RSJ to keep it away from the dung.

Mounted something like this - any reason why not?:

@Siamsa Sessions In regards to video content, if you are subscribed, it doesn't really matter when you put them up, but Sunday mornings and weekday evenings might get the most casual viewers.

You're in a bit of a minority as your videos are primarily stock based - which I like. Stick at it. If nothing it is a good way of documenting life for the kids when they are older.

• Advertisement

@Siamsa Sessions - just watched your latest video. Re the calves with a cough - any chance those calves could have some lungworm? We dosed some calves recently of a similar size/age. No visible signs of worm burden nor poor condition. Following day two of them looked like they were on deaths door and had to get the vet out for them. Luckily they are fine now, but they must have been heavy with them.

Do you think the MSS will recover next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I was going to suggest to @Siamsa Sessions to dose the 4 calves with a white oral dose and also recommend giving them a mineral bolus like smartrace plus - we been using it for our calves for years. Over the years we would have used Levacide injection on calves/weanlings but unfortunately it's not available anymore.

As a matter of interest what did you dose your calves with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

Levacide injection is a huge loss to calf rearing. It was cheap and effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I wonder why it was withdrawn from the market. Maybe @greysides might be able to inform us although I think I may have asked him before 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Chanaverm is available from Glanbia. Has levamisole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭orm0nd

We used it this year to break the cycle of white doses mostly on lambs however, think the calves got 1 or 2 doses as well.

If the weather breaks now there could be a serious hatch of lung worm so keep a watchful eye for hoose.

Enjoying your YouTube channel @Siamsa Sessions, best of luck with it.

Closamectin Fluke & Worm Pour-On.

Vet said if you think they have a burden use a yellow drench, but said we were unlucky.

He said there is one which just paralyses the worms and it is not as rough on the calves to get rid of them. Just irritates them when trying to get rid of dead ones.

The calves got a white dose back in July. I did a FEC test in Aug and the vet said they were OK but check again in a fortnight. A few started coughing in the meantime and I just gave them Ivomec at that stage. Probably early Sept.

I was planning to vaccine the smaller 4 for pneumonia in the next week or 2.

Thanks for the likes and subscriptions too!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭IFarmWeFarm7615

It sounds like lung worm ( hoose cough ) sudden loss of weight gain would be one thing to watch for. Ivomec that you give would help that. We used to use a powder called CTC 10% that you add to the feed, always worked well if it still can be got.

• Advertisement

I’d recommend growvite calf. A really good mineral drench.

You could be dosing cattle every few weeks if you were basing it on coughing. The boost from mineral supplementation is underrated in my opinion

Growvite is a great product. You can give every 3 weeks. Had calves struggling early summer but started using that and their unrecognisable now, I put it down to that. I watched toms latest video where he made a balls of his pillar, I haven’t been following him lately but that was a shame, I thought concrete looked way to fresh to be working on and pillars looked battered, I don’t know why he used them? Nice to see Gerry back with a video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭einn32

Just read that the Harmless Farmer has died. I never watched him much but he was inspirational. Working away on the farm with his disability after that accident. He seemed to just get on with life and then getting cancer he just kept going.

Have started to post photos & videos lately on an instagram account of what we get up to day to day here. Just as a bit of background we are both first generation farmers (albeit from rural areas) who bought a house and land in Leitrim this year. I started out with 4 pet lambs about 6 yrs ago and we are now up at about 60 ewes going to the rams this year.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ci5A_3vsyXR/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Id appreciate a follow & some interaction if anyone would like to see what we get up to.

Fair play - it makes you look at the farm in a different way when you’re posting pictures and videos of the place.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Odelay

Ah that's sad to hear. I've seen his videos, a genuine nice guy. Amazing what he could do farming with his feet and such a positive attitude. Losing both arms as a kid, and then battling cancer. One battle should be enough for anyone.

Yeah id say your right there. No harm in that either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

@Kevhog1988 that's a nice looking part of the world you are in.

Seems to be a nice sweep of land too. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement

Advertisement