Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its usually called capping steel in suppliers comes in rounded or more slimmer profiles depending on cable gauge.

It's just nailed in place. Not exactly rocket science tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Getting FTTH installed Friday thank God. I ended up going with sky as I'm already with them and I have my own router set up etc so that doesn't come into it.

BUT I've a bit of an odd issue. When I check sky with my eircode (while not logged in as an existing customer) it tells me I can order the ultrafast broadband FTTH (yay). The problem is when I log in to sky it tells me it's not available offering only the basic package I'm already on.

I ordered FTTH through sky without logging in but I think sky are under the impression I'm a new customer rather than a current customer even though I've the same address and eircode etc. Has anyone had anything like this before?

I'm afraid they'll try charge me twice when it's set up for two different subs. I rang sky about this last week and they literally didn't have a clue what I was on about. Kept telling me I couldn't get FTTH yet that they'd contact me when it's available when I told them I'd already pre-ordered they told me that was impossible.

Very odd situation but I want to get the fibre installed first and then try get this sorted. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I think you've ordered FTTH as a new customer, entirely separate to your existing account. If you have FTTC with Sky already I reckon you'll need to cancel that based on what you've described.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sligoboy21

I hope you don't mind me asking you one or two questions. KN are coming this week to erect new poles to bring the fiber cable to my house. They have them marked but the last pole is marked at the end of my wall. I want it brought through the duct I to my etu. Did they consultation with you when bringing cable in or is cable only brought in when they come the following week for my installation date is booked? Also I want it brought through attic and was thinking of leave the ont in attic running Ethernet cable from ont in attic to the landing directly below it where I want my router left. But I was told it could be dangerous leaving ont in attic as it gets very hot during summer months etc? Also I would need about 3m or so Ethernet cable to go from ont in attic to router would I need to supplier that?

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Well finally got it put in last week.

The same two lads came back & couldn't have been nicer. Maybe someone had a word ?

They dug out the channel themselves & ran the cable through the attic as I requested.

They couldn't have been nicer. I was wondering if the men in black had got to them with their ray guns 😉

All very neat & tidy as per the photos. They can do good work when they want to. The K & N civil crew came later in the evening & filled in the little channel & took away any debris.

The end of eleven months of frustration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

Pretty sure someone else on this thread had a similar issue. I think they rang sky to resolve but I cant remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

I have a new build house is about 3 yrs old when building I ran two cat 6 cables to everyroom in the house with them all coming back to a point in the attic to where it us connected to a switch.

I ran a duct out to the edge if the road where I though a pole whoujd go it ended up in the corner of my garden as it would have being in y line of sight leaving the house.

The poles went up afew days before the installation.if the poles Arent In place they will cancle the install

Do you have a duct ran where the pole is going if not it could be over head install.

I had a cat 6 cable in the etu that they used to pull the fibre up to the attic put there when building.

That's exactly what I think is going on but sky assured me I couldn't get FTTH at this time and yet it's being installed through preorder with sky on Friday (the conversation literally made no sense). In terms of my current order I'm thinking I just let it get installed then sort out the billing afterwards. I'm afraid that by ringing sky and speaking to someone competent they cancel my install Friday as it's "not available" for existing customers even though it is as a new customer. Again this doesn't make sense to me.

If worse case scenario I'm charged double for broadband next month I can live with that but I'll go mad if my calling them again leaves me waiting x number of months for install. What's a man to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

if your eircode shows up as FTTH available on other operator websites (eir etc), i would bet that sky simply hasnt updated their database that your eircode is now available to order FTTH

Thanks @BArra I did that exact thing as a test with eir and it says I can order 1gb FTTH so hopefully it can be sorted easily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

A visit by imagine to say they have extended to my area and an update from NBI to say I've finally moved to survey complete all within 24 hrs of one another.

Current Build Status: Survey Complete (estimate to complete still January 2025 - December 2026 CURRAGHBOY Deployment Area). They seem to be filling in the gaps around Athlone and nearby villages.

Think I'll stick with my eir wireless until i have a proper nbi connection, speeds are decent enough luckily but cant wait to have something more faster and more reliable for the same price or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

We got this in our letterbox the other day. Are they being sent to everyone regardless, or could it mean we might see some movement soon? We are survey complete on the website (Expected Jan-Jun 2024). We were surveyed in April 2021.

There is nothing interesting in it other than it is a physical NBI artefact.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

We were due to be connected today but I thought I remembered the KN agent saying that they’d ring the day beforehand and we hadn’t heard anything. I rang them this morning and they said we should have gotten a call to rearrange as we need a heavy crew and so the wait continues, hopefully just another two to three weeks max.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,549 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The booklet was dropped in here earlier this afternoon, our rollout date is 2025/26.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Has there been any updates in terms of the rollout being extended? I know there was plenty of talk in the past of promises of speeding up the rollout and having it done within 5 years.

Seems pie in the sky at this stage - a bit worrying that information and updates seem to have dried up. The majority (if not all) 2025/26 dates are still marked for those dates.

Whats the percentage of Deployment areas with 2025/26 timeline or survey pending vs everything else? - feels like they have just shoehorned everything into those two years :/ Looking at the map, it looks like the west has been left behind. You can almost draw a line down through the middle of Ireland and its Survey pending for the majority.

3 months away from 2023, it feels like they need to provide a pretty significant update on new timelines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Denis Naughten dropped an unofficial hint that it will be 2028 before it all gets done:

See that comment, and the few after it.

At it's last appearance before an Oireachtas committee NBI said the rollout remains at 7 years. Covid and contractor issues has halted any plan to reduce the timeline.

They plan to trial different rollouts in urban intervention areas and really remote areas, wireless in the latter, to speed things along.

There are other issues, like NBI repairing eir ducts, subject to legal and regulatory outcomes, that could speed up the rollout.

NBI appearances before the various Oireachtas committees, twice or three times a year, appear to be the best source of information regarding the rollout depending on the questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭SW98

I recently got Starlink to at least test it within the 30 day return period as it's the only alternative we have to our "high speed" 14Mbps Eir broadband. I'm not sure is anyone here in a similar situation in regard to NBI but they have installed their infrastructure on our cul-de-sac road but are only supplying two houses as the rest of us were initially deemed to be able to receive speeds of 30Mbps or more from comercial operators. Those two premises are now ready to connect.

Over the last year I have been emailing the broadband department over and back and have basically got nowhere with them. They are basically saying they can't intervene in areas where commercial operators have planned future upgrades (Open Eir in our case) even though they are already providing their service to the majority of houses in our village. Open Eir have also planned to provide FTTH to premises in our village, including the ones who are also eligible for NBI. When I emailed Open Eir, they were unable to provide a time frame as to when we might get FTTH and questioned whether or not I was in contact with NBI about the situation. NBI suggested I contact Open Eir about the issue. The worst part of the whole situation is of course the fact that the NBI network is already in place outside our gate.

As suggested by others here in this thread previously, I also tried to email and call our relative broadband officer in the council but didn't get any responses there at all.

In regard to the Starlink, the speeds are fine but it's the latency and inconsistency that is the issue for someone who games competitively. If I wasn't gaming, the Starlink would be ideal as it's a huge jump in terms of speed compared to our Eir connection but the inconsistent latency and packet loss in games is what kills it for gaming. Sometimes the ping in-game is fine but it doesn't consistently stay good enough. I do, however, have yet to test it with a gaming router and a wired connection to the PC to see if that improves things but I can't see the difference being good enough to make it a viable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

East County Waterford has gone ready to connect. Now to choose from 18 providers 😬

My kids game on starlink without problems on 1st person shooters. They don't play competitively but are on a high level. They would notice ping on our last 4g internet. Changing from wifi to wired will help for sure. Make sure dish is high enough or definitely avoid any obstructions.

When I first set starlink up we had packet loss and high ping spikes. But I think poplar trees outside forestery here we're causing it. Even though not showing in starlink obstruction app. I increased height and I can't remember a single packet loss or lag spike since then, other than heavy rain.

• Advertisement

Can you get on to your local TD/Councillor? As old fashioned as it sounds, they usually have some sway. If you cant get above 30Mb you should be in the intervention area. OpenEir plan do plan to upgrade all Cabinets(which I assume you are on) but this was announced after the NBI rollout afaik - hence my own estate who are connected to a cabinet but cant get above 12Mb due to distance, we are in the intervention area but not planned until 25/26.

On open eirs FTTH rollout map it states they plan to upgrade our area - due to be completed in 2026. So likely we will have both NBI and OpenEir around that time.

As for Starlink, I'm in the same boat. I've been using it since November last year as for work especially the Download/Upload speeds have been a godsend. As for gaming, while the post above mentions their kids are happy with it, take it from me that unfortunately Starlink is not good for online gaming, especially if you are anyways competitive.

Nature of the beast that Starlink ping will always come in much much higher even when compared to FTTC connections.

FTTC I was getting ~15-20ms ping

Fibre you can get as low as 5ms ping

Starlink I average roughly 60ms ping with spikes over 100ms. Packet loss is more frequent on this too - so yeah Starlink's downfall is its terrible latency which is sort of to be expected. Saying this, it is manageable for online gaming if you are just on to have a few games, but its not always a smooth experience.

you might get ping of 5ms locally but in ireland prob your closest game server for most games is London. I took a ping test to london. I ran 4 tests just now in light rain and it peaked at 57ms. This is fairly consistant to what we get ingame (around the 40ms). I see plenty of pro gamers playing with this ping or even higher. It does fluctaute but isnt spiking. That is by no means teriible latency. Its prob not fair to compare fibre to starlink but id be curious to know what ftth and/or fttc ping tests are to london.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

We finally had our installation day today but modem was saying internet not available. I rang pure telecom and they said the connection can take 24 hours to go live, has anyone else experienced this?

The Fritzbox dsl light wasn’t staying solid either so the engineer tested on his own modem and was only getting speeds of 550mb when we ordered 1gb. I restarted the modem twice after he left and it seems to be working fine now apart from the connection not being live yet.

Post edited by Agent Avenger on

Unfortunately Starlink isn't cut out for online gaming.

I've tested this across a number of games, most with connection monitoring built into games. Latency is way way above what you would find in a FTTH connection. I would never recommend Starlink to anyone whose primarily interested in using it for competitive online play.

Its to be expected though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Its prob not fair to compare fibre to starlink but id be curious to know what ftth and/or fttc ping tests are to london.

When I worked in a corporate about 8 years ago, our MPLS network would have had about 10-15ms latency from Dublin to London. Connections in those days were 10Mbps serving 300 people in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 banjostring

Hi guys,

Small query if anyone can give me a steer.

Im due for connection tomorrow, in advance of connection I have over the last few Saturdays done all the donkey work for the install crew. Unblocked the ducting, made a few repairs and I’ve even roped the entire duct for them as it’s a long cable pull. Part of the donkey work involved excavating a hole to expose a junction where ducts meet where the original builder should have put a chamber/manhole but didn’t bother his backside. The excavation is still open and I need a manhole put there now in case of any future issues. It’s my understanding that I’ve went above and beyond by doing all the prep work for them and making the install handy for them and that this is strictly part of their works, so my question is will NBI/KN build this manhole for me and if they say it’s not part of their scope is there anything I can say to get them to do it ?

Am I entitled to have this manhole built ?

Any advice appreciated

Thank you.

What ducts meet and what size are they? Is it possible to use a joiner instead of installing a manhole?

Haven't heard of them installing a manhole, so not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

I had a similar problem with the junction duct being buried. K & N civil crew put in a manhole cover but they had to be told by Open Air to do it. The K & N installation crew will not do this. If they can't install fibre they will make a report & the work will be done by a civil crew.

It delayed my installation by 11 months because they made a complete mess of the process.

I guess I was just unlucky.

Ok, I understand now, at the interface of the home duct and the open-eir duct. This has to be done by open-eir or their contractors.

NBI are prevented currently from working on open-eir ducting and are seeking regulation to allow them access to carry out repairs etc, high court case on this awaiting judgement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 banjostring

It’s an unusual set up as my brother and I share the same incoming 50mm duct and where his personal duct meets mine at a T junction there was no proper access chamber left for access, so now we have a big hole on our private lane where we had to expose the meeting points of the ducts. If something doesn’t go there now myself and the providers would never be able to pull in a new cable in the future if ever required. It’s something I could do myself but it probably needs a manhole as opposed to an AJ as the ducts are down a significant depth of about one metre. I’ll probably have to chance my arm to see if they will do it for me.

Advertisement