Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Velos Festival open to bikes of all ages!

Options
  • 10-08-2022 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

In case you han't already heard, this year's Old Velos event is open to participants on bikes of all ages/shapes/sizes/types, this year!

Plus it's being run over two days, now that we (mostly) have that nasty COVID business out of the way!

Come and enjoy the beautiful surroundings of Curraghmore House & Gardens, Portlaw, Co Waterford, take part in one of the spins/events and ogle the vintage machinery on display!

Sept 17th/18th.

Check out http://www.oldvelos.com/ for updates and details of the event!

We're not fuddy-duddies with dubious facial hair....well, some of us aren't (says he, stroking his handlebar moustache); we're very nice people, actually!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

8Valve just how many of your creations wil be there?

Timetable 2022

Sat 17th

11am 25mile Leisure Tweed & Twine Cycle (Vintage & Modern Machines)

12noon Velo Expo Begins including Concours d'Elégance judging

12-6 Jumble Sale Stalls

6pm 10mile Reliability Trial - it's not a race!

Sun 18th

10am OldVelos Vintage Classic 40-50-60mile cycles depart (as 8Valve says, modern bikes welcome too)

10am on - Velo Expo and Jumble Sale Continues

2-3 Riders return

3pm Concours d'Elégance Awards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Kinda worrying that regardless of how many start the Vintage Classic, just "2-3 Riders return". Have you set traps?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Over the Scrouty 2019 - the locals ate well that night 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭2011abc

If a lad were interested in dipping his toe into the vintage bike world with a view to picking up some parts / frame / bike would this be the place to be ? How are the prices ?

Also is there a ‘best era’ to explore / start out with .

Not sure myself . I guess first critical question is ‘to STI or not to STI ‘?! So pre / post early 1990s? I guess it’s pick a decade after that ?

Brake lever hoods seem rotten and hard to find pre mid 1980s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

The vintage scene is massive. The variety of different makes is huge due to the fact that there were so many small shop builders operating.

It’s a really active scene and there are some wonderful forums and websites out there.

I bought a few over the last few years, privately and some from eBay. The prices of the most desired ones like Cinelli, De Rosa etc seemed to have jumped quite a lot in recent years. But you get to decide what you want to invest in. And from time to time bargains do appear but it can take a lot of watching and waiting to spot them.

Re the hoods: there are a few guys out there making repo hoods of decent quality. Just google for them and then look for user reviews before buying.

My shed is a good place to start... Just saying... 😊

Folks apologies for not responding sooner, I missed oyur feedback!

@Mefistofelino 2-3 riders return - I got a great laugh out of that!

@JMcL our riders will eat well - picnic Saturday and Buffet Sunday.

@2011abc Dip your toe on Saturday and Sunday at the jumble sale. But bring cash as wifi and coverage is very poor.

@hesker You speak the truth, and with Oldvleos coming up thiere's quite a bit of stuff being advertised on OldVelos Cyclists FB page

@8valve You are a legend!

On that last point, you're totally right.

I'm very modest as well 😊

Hope all went well - couldn't have asked for more from the weather, I'd been looking forward to going along at least one of the days, but unfortunately had to go off to a funeral

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Some unique looking machines.

The venue, crew and bikes were a good match

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭cletus

It's a bit like looking at a herd of zebras, but is the fork on the Olympic Ace the wrong way round?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Interesting fork setup on the closest one.

That’s a Stayer I believe.

Looks like a nice purple Pinarello at the back.

The red and green likely Italian too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I'm sorry I didn't make it down to this, timing wasn't right with returning from holiday. I was aiming to bring my 1996/2000/2008/2018 trigger's brush MTB down 😂

Am following anyway, so maybe next time

Yup. Reversed fork, smaller front wheel and an additional prop from the nose of the saddle to the top tube. You could spiral-wrap bandages around the rim (to retain the tub in case of a sudden deflation) for full authenticity but it would be unrideable on anything other than a board track.

I thought the smaller front wheel was just perspective.

The one at Old Velos doesn't appear to have the brace from the fork to the bars, but it has a small extra brace between the head tube and the downtube.

As a bicycle shaped object, that looks downright scary!

You know when I commented above about the tubs often being wrapped onto the rims with bandages to prevent them coming off?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIJPy-mW05A

• Advertisement

What's the advantage in turning the fork around?

Get you closer to the motorbike

I put it that my description as "scary" is proven by that clip. Bloody hell 😬

Was curious to know a bit more about that, and what speed he got to before coming off, There's a movie in there somewhere. The guy was apparently called José Meiffret, a frenchman who got into motor pacing at the suggestion of Henri Desgrange because he have a "weak heart" and wasn't therefore suited to normal racing! Having smacked into the (concrete) veldrome at about 128km/h sustaining 5 skull fractures for his trouble. He got out of hospital and, as you do, became a trappist monk. He became the fastest monk (and indeed human) on a bike in 1963 getting to just shy of 205km/h on an autobahn behind a car with a 130 tooth chainring.

https://veloaficionado.com/blog/trapist-monk-jose-meiffret-the-fastest-cyclist-in-the-world

...behind a car with a 130 tooth chainring

To clarify, the bike had a 130t chainring - no idea what size chainring the car had 😁

Was an absolute cracker of a weekend. Great weather, great people and great bikes.

Roll on next year!

Advertisement